zen or jlh which sounds better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Upupa Epops wrote:

Carlos, exist much more better amps . . . for example new one from PMA , but inertia of DIY community is great .

The first part of the quote agrees with my personal opinion, as I am probably one of the few who heard PMA's amplifier.

However, Pavel, do you think that it is inertia? I believe that it is a crowd behaviour. People praise a certain amplifier, some because they like it, but some because they would not admit thet they were wrong (after all, they invested a lot of themselves, judgement, time, effort, thus the ego is on line). Furthermore, who would post a contrarian opinion, when such a majority approves? Consequently, other people, who do not have the luxury to compare amplifiers and decide for themselves what they like, are seduced, and the effect snowballs.

Disclaimer. Before the crowd (LOL, pun intended) jumps at me for "knocking ZEN of JLH" please think of what I wrote. (Hint: notice the bolded text.)

M

Uppupa Epos, can you please tell me which amplifer is your favourite because you dont seem to like any in here:smash:
Perhaps one of us here might make one of your favorites and find the same enlightenment as you, but for now I dont understand your taste.

I remember once listening to a tag amp with 4 layer board ultra short signal path blah blah with meridian high end cd player and Shahinian speakers. It was very accurate but lifeless and dry.
I really think there is no right and wrong, however our tastes do evolve ith experience, perhaps after 50 more diy amps I start to like tag (who are gone arent they?)

Im not trying to antagonise you just curious and I dont have a problem with your directness:)

My favourite amp ? Probably Halcro ( although I never heard it ) and certainly my own, which have similar connection ( error correction ) and PMA's too. All this amps have very low distortion, but only very experienced listener can take theirs advantages. For many people they can to be so dry, as you said, for others too accurate, 'cos they show, how often is recording or reproduction chain bad. I don't like amps with " masking effect " or, as is often called, with " musical " sound.

Mephistóphiles, Epupa, loops or something alike

Good talk!....You have talked in 50 or 100 amplifiers....sorry...but let me lol

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

I made more than 4K... and already confused, needing urgent one Psychologist to control my method...because may have vicious, make have "mania".....that laugh is not against you, not a laugh made to you... to trown in your face with sarcasm and ironie...this lol is to LAUGH TOGETHER, with you.... as you will understand why people prefer measurements.... people is too much complicated.

Take a look, i confess, loud and clear, that, sometimes i felt myself confused...in special if i tried to use "sonic memory"...if i go changing parts to improve this or that.... i have been lost many times.

I made a lot of modifications in the AKSA amplifier, and told hugh that i felt mine was better (what a pretention,how could i der so much).... made the comparison with friends judging....my face turns into a bum face.... ashamed face...they all said aaaagh! to mine modified, and i was proudly calling ASKA (inverse of AKSA) to make a "winner" game with Hugh.

He may be there, together the Kangaroos showing some big finger, the midle one, sky pointing and saying to me..

"I beg your pardon my dear Carlos...have some gift for ya"

I will say again...made one amplifier and the guys evaluate...they said very good, not exceptional, but good...i made all calculations...my first big charlie designed amplifier.... i told them MY AMPLIFIER..... monthes late i shown mine amplifier... the same...nothing changed...same place, same music, same speaker,same guys...only one guy different, this one had not in the first time...but i put them nervous with me, told them that i iwll prove they are a group of idiots and other things cannot talk in forum.....could you imagine the evaluation?....yeahhh! my amplifier was considered awfull!!!!.... feelings man!

regards,

Carlos

For me, the "reference amp" is Pavel Dudek's DPA380SSE and it's derivatives. My amp is still a prototype with low power (some 2 x 10W), and that is not enough - not universal.

I have now declared my reference power amp (DPA380SSE). I should add that I have had a possibility to compare it with Pass Labs Aleph 3, Mark Levinson ML 383, ML 334, Bryston 4B-ST, several types of Accuphase (the best of them is A-50V), AYRE V5, Classé CAM-350 and several types of McIntosh. The second in the order would be A-50V for me.

Upupa Epops said:
For many people they can to be so dry, as you said, for others too accurate,

Maybe I would disagree a little bit in this point. Provided there is a perfect electrical path before these power amps (CD, buffer, preamp), these amps sound not only detailed and accurate, but very pleasant. On the other hand, in case that they are used in an imperfect chain, they will discover problems, not hiding them by their own colorations and masking.

Come on Pavel!..you are impeached to judge your own product!

Have some idea, as i know you like to drink and have fun...you pick some plane..... bring your amplifier to Big Charlie.... we gonna have fun in my appartment... i will send my "Spanish beauty" to spend money in Los Angeles...this way, as i like too much Eslovaquian girls...you bring me three only to decorate our lifes, i can bring three brazilians, only to decorate our lifes too.... we can be drunk together, and i will listen your amplifier, happy with you and the elsovaquian blonds decorating our lifes, with the golden brasilians dancing Samba to us...i am sure that i will agree your amplifier is wonderfull, despite, having fun.... reall fun, we forgot to switch it on!

Welcomme to reality...if you put one man into your room, offer him good drink, and beeing very kind, and talking about your amplifiers qualities... 50 percent of the way is already done..... if you say he is a good man, and skilled man...more 20 percent of the way gonne...this way, even not switching your amplifier one...your amplifier note is 70!

We are impeached to make our own judgements...i think i am pretty, despite i have one pregancy stomach... alike one woman near to have a baby.... psychologic effect man.

Let me answer in a French wayl

My dear Pavel, i am afraid that your own evaluation can be nothing so precise as i have been dreaming, can you please check your methods my dear?

regards,

Carlos

Really, those amplifiers you are telling about i never hear them

This way, i cannot talk nothing about them, as i never had the chance to hear them.

Can you inform, please, where i can find more informs, pictures, specifications, schematics or brochures of the Pavel Amplifier you told us?

I was confused with the Pavel name, i am sorry, but i am open to learn new things, if you cooperate with informs, i will be more distant from the ignorance.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos asked:

Can you inform, please, where i can find more informs, pictures, specifications, schematics or brochures of the Pavel Amplifier you told us?

http://www.pha.inecnet.cz/macura/audiopage.html, look for PM_AB1.

I was confused with the Pavel name, i am sorry, but i am open to learn new things, if you cooperate with informs, i will be more distant from the ignorance.

Yet another Pavel. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.