Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vunce,
I hope you sorted out the problem with the bleeder resistor on your cap Mx board. It looks wonderful, btw. Nice quality components.

664646d1519537069-jumas-easy-peasy-capacitance-multiplier-776b9bcb-c581-4124-ab39-749be2303931-jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Gathering parts for possible H2O cooled BB

I almost forgot that I had all of this lying around in my parts bin from a couple of years ago. All cobbled together for peanuts from Aliexpress. IIRC, cooler blocks were $5ea, reservoir $7, pump $4, heat-x w fan $13. All 12vdc stuff no PWM or anything. Will need to probably get more cooler blocks. I wonder if this 5in x 5in water-to-air heat X has enough capacity? This is where JPS64's heat monitor and auto-shutdown safety signal circuitry will be really helpful. Hugh has a great story about one of his water cooled Class A amps (that did not have safety auto-shutdown) from a while back... ;)

attachment.php

Although, I have to say I really like how well the heatpipe CPU coolers with a fan work. Super reliable.

Attachments

• Alpha-H2o-cooling-system-gathering-parts.jpg
    Alpha-H2o-cooling-system-gathering-parts.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful work Juntuin! Reminds me of a high end sports car grille. :)

attachment.php

Are those aluminum channel frames now and not welded steel?

You might want to look into Bosch-Rexroth structural channels. They provide drawings and cut to length and angles for free as value-added service here in US.

Makes great frames for lab setups, assembly lines etc.

@Juntuin likes BOSCH profiles. Really sexy design, congratulation!

I´ve still F6 power supplies.

µC board progress:
- onboard 20W AC/DC converter Meanwell IMR-20-12
- DC blocking
- CL60 inrush current limiter
- for 115VAC or 230VAC
- RC (1µ/MP3 + 4R7/2512/2W) snubber over relay power contacts
- programming MONO, L/R, WATER
- first checking FAN before main power (115/230VAC) switching

To do:
- mosfets RC snubber G to D on BB (220p + 47R)

JP

Attachments

• F6-PS.jpg
    F6-PS.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 589
  • µC.png
    µC.png
    766.6 KB · Views: 156
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Vunce, what voltage did you settle on for your transformer assuming a 4V loss from the CapMx? Or am I not doing my math correctly? I read through the Easy Peasy CapMx thread quick but it was a little hard for me to follow.

Hi jwjarch,

I sorted out my error with the Juma E-P capMx and am back up and running. I’ll post that in the Juma E-P thread.
I’m using an Antek AS-4220 transformer with the CapMx board built to the schematic specs. When both channels of the ALPHA are connected the capMx outputs 19.1volts :( I didn’t think the voltage drop would be 9v when loaded. I thought I’d be hitting 23-24vdc. Maybe I should have went for a trafo with 22v or 24v secondaries.

Regards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 1,352
Hi jwjarch,

I sorted out my error with the Juma E-P capMx and am back up and running. I’ll post that in the Juma E-P thread.
I’m using an Antek AS-4220 transformer with the CapMx board built to the schematic specs. When both channels of the ALPHA are connected the capMx outputs 19.1volts :( I didn’t think the voltage drop would be 9v when loaded. I thought I’d be hitting 23-24vdc. Maybe I should have went for a trafo with 22v or 24v secondaries.

Regards

Glad you sorted out the problem! That voltage drop sounds bad and makes me worried too..

Edit: capmx needs that much sink and cooling??

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Edit: capmx needs that much sink and cooling??

Yes, it gets hot!!
Now, I am testing with 4ohm speakers, so I don’t know if that’s making my setup more extreme.
On a positive note, there is absolutely ZERO noise emitting from the speakers when no music is playing. I have both grounds from the Alpha boards tied together and connected to the CapMx on a single ground tab.

Question about BigBoy; will 2x30v trafos be too much for BB to handle? I have spare pair of those, 545Va. Theres also an option to unwind some windings if that's necessary..

Yes, it gets hot!!
Now, I am testing with 4ohm speakers, so I don’t know if that’s making my setup more extreme.
On a positive note, there is absolutely ZERO noise emitting from the speakers when no music is playing. I have both grounds from the Alpha boards tied together and connected to the CapMx on a single ground tab.

Well, these news gives another headache :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Originally Posted by irribeo View Post
Antek datasheet for 18V and 20V 400va show same voltages, funny guys.

AS 4220= AS 4218 = 18V transformer.

Must be a mistake on the spec sheet.
I’ve used over a dozen Antek transformers and they all measured slightly more than tag specs.
The secondaries of this AS-4220 measure 20.33v

Regards