Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

20 will replace ACA and BB replaces darTZeel someday (I don't like that amp anyway). If and when I'm going for passive system, I like to keep two good amps at hands. I'm pretty sure that I like these amps since Alephs have been my favorites :)

That is a very bad news. I just purchased some PC boards to the Dartzeel and ordered some boutique capacitors. And still, need more investment in resistors etc. Please don't say it is that bad...:eek:
I read so many good feedbacks on that amp and clones also.
I had the Aleph 30 it was not bad but after couple months I dismantled it. It was not my favorite amp to say it in a nice way. I used Dale resistors BG caps on the PC boards and so on. :)

For example (from Youtube)
The video was removed by the user.

Patrick J Newton
1 year ago
Yes, I just uploaded as proof for the manufacturer (who is resolving the problem). I liked it so much I bought another one. I have had Krell, Spectral, MBL, Linn, Naim. This beats everything including the MBL 9008A monoblocks ($52k retail) which I just sold. I run directly from CD/Streaming source. Will never look back. Despite the hum on this particular instance ( caused by voltage regulator), I would say it's a fantastic amp. The build quality is great. You can find them online through the usual sites

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 516
Hei Vunce or X, could you measure dimensions (about) from Alpha20 with Dell heatpipes attached? I think I'm going tight with space.

That is a very bad news. I just purchased some PC boards to the Dartzeel and ordered some boutique capacitors. And still, need more investment in resistors etc. Please don't say it is that bad...:eek:
I read so many good feedbacks on that amp and clones also.
I had the Aleph 30 it was not bad but after couple months I dismantled it. It was not my favorite amp to say it in a nice way. I used Dale resistors BG caps on the PC boards and so on. :)

Don't worry, most people seems to like it very very much :) maybe I'm exception. From what I remember, dartzeel doesn't measure very well?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those Dell's were selected by me because of huge copper pad - they are tall at 16cm from boss to tip of heatpipe that sticks out.

Might try Supermicro (2U rack) CPU coolers which are same wattage class but much lower profile. I don't know how big pad is bit would guess it can hold two TO-247's side by side easily, the as Xeon LGA 1366 is quite a large (45mm x 42mm) chunk of silicon.

Supermicro SNK-P0038PS Heatsink 2U Heat sink LGA1366 / 1356 SNK-P0038 X8 CPU | eBay

Edit, maybe tight - here is photo of underside of the P0038S:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

P0048AP4 seems to be a nice integrated solution:
snk-p0048ap4_1_3.jpg

It's funny, but the more I do this, the more it reminds me maybe I should just buy a surplus 4U rack server case with nice 450W SMPS, add some DC-DC step ups, use fans etc, :)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hei Vunce or X, could you measure dimensions (about) from Alpha20 with Dell heatpipes attached? I think I'm going tight with space.

Hi Juntuin,

These are the dimensions of my stereo ALPHA20 module:

Height 8.25”
Width 4.125”
Length 11.5” (8.25” cooler to cooler)

Remember, the height includes the upside mounted ALPHA boards plus the cpu cooler. I hope this helps :)

Attachments

• A96A7C03-5963-42B6-A279-EBB837C416CF.jpg
    A96A7C03-5963-42B6-A279-EBB837C416CF.jpg
    864.2 KB · Views: 422
Thank you. Boards arrived today and I must say they are brilliant.
Thanks XRK, Hugh and JPS for all your hard work and making projects like this possible.
I was going to use passive heat sinks, but I have come across some used processor sinks ( 4 off ) and am considering using these instead. I believe I can mount the sinks on their sides and mount the output devices straight to the copper bases, using an insulator, mounting hole will miss the heat pipes. Two fans will be mounted below blowing up. The heat sinks measure 2.5"H x 3.5"W x 2.5"D.
One picture shows how I intend to mount the PCB, I will of course construct some kind of cradle to hold the boards securely and also support the fans.
The second channel will be a mirror version. The other picture shows how I am hoping to place all four sinks.
Any comments, observations would be appreciated
Regards

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 365
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That looks perfect, Alibear!

With 4 of those sinks nestled together, I think maybe a 120mm fan could work? Larger fans would be quieter than four smaller fans.

For example:
DEEPCOOL UF 120 PWM Fan 2-Ball Bearing Rubber Coating De-vibration Deep Silent - Newegg.com

Premium mag lev fan:
Corsair ML120 PRO CO-9050040-WW 120mm 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation PWM Fan - Newegg.com

I like how different users are being innovative and resourceful, even though these are UMS compatible boards, the only ones so far going that route is me (and 6L6 later). But if you want a "tap-and-drill-free" operation, the UMS sinks are the way to go. The 4U Dissipante case with 300mm UMS sinks was $150. Not cheap but useful for many amps to be swapped in and out. Although after a 5 hr listening session that went through late into the wee hours of early morning, I have to say that I love this amp, so not sure if this 4U case will be available for other Class A amps in the future... :)

Still kind of dumbfounded how a "20W" amp is able to drive my 82dB speakers to vvery satisfying levels of loudness and perfect clarity. I always used to think I needed at least a 50w minimum amp to do these speakers justice.

Last edited:
Finally got a bit of time to add the last few components to the boards, and drill/tap the heatsinks.

I need to measure my mosfets, then assemble and test in the proto chassis.

The 10uF/250v Clarity Caps CSA's fit better than I thought they would, they are enormous, obviously.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 374
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
pcgab, I believe they were pulled from Dell computers. I got them from an IT guy, he had four. They have got numbers on them,--- JCI CN-OR6852.
I gave the sizes in the previous post. They have 30 fins. Hope this helps.
Regards

Isn't it funny how in a $2000 computer, 20 years later, the most valuable thing from it as an enduring thermodynamic mechanical device that sells for $10? All the other stuff (CPU, memory, graphics card, hard disk) are obsolete junk and basically worthless.