Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Decades ago there was no earth installation in the houses, so you can disconnect the earth to check if it sounds better.

I think there are still countries that have not implemented it or their inhabitants do not install it!

It didn't made any diffirence for the hum, so ground loop breaker won't help either? Tried also 10r resistor on wire between signal returns, didn't help. Only thing so far that makes hum go away is disconnecting one rca. I remember having the same problem with Aleph 5 dual monos. Connected star grounds together with thick wire made it quiet back then.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Vince and the others:

Schaffner RF/EMI filter inlet: FN 9244B 1A or 3A

[PDF] FN 9244

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

B: medical

Good call Maty!!

I removed a similar AC module from a recycled piece of electronics and hooked it up to my Alpha. With it installed the LED lights/dimmer noise was greatly reduced, not totally eliminated but MUCH better than without it.
Thanks for the tip :)

Cheers,
Vunce

Attachments

• DE296901-1D59-4C8E-8C9C-6D70F95C807D.jpg
    DE296901-1D59-4C8E-8C9C-6D70F95C807D.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 321
I have a lot of Schaffner RF/EMI (they have the best specs/graphs) and Würth RF 150 kHz ferrites in my house.

With my Yamaha: one RF/EMI filter + RF ferrite.

With my Marantz: two RF/EMI filter + RF ferrite.

With the RF ferrite I managed to reach the maximum attenuation without the sound degrading.

And a lot of DC Blockers too.

With Yamaha: DCB + DCBx2 = DCBx3 all with Big EPCOS

With Marantz: DCB (Mundorf) + DCBx4 (EPCOS) = DCBx5

They eliminates "ripple" from mains too.

Pictures: go to Images: dc blocker maty - Google Search

Yes, I have "tons" of RF/EMI and DC in my house. And some days I have almost 240 Vac too.

Last edited:
Main floor here every wall socket has earth, first floor bathroom has earth too but bedrooms don't have earth. House was built according to all regulations here in 1992, not very very old, but not new :)

My first DIY Schaffner RF/EMI cable, without earth:

By the way, the better IEC C14 connector are the Schurter, I love them.

Last edited:
ATTENTION!!!
Don't remove safety earth connection!
Never.
Don't put at risk your life

5 sec test under controlled enviroment and remote power connection didn't killed anyone this time, but you are absolutely correct and right!

Edit: I did it because I wanted to figure out that do I need ground loop breaker. It seems I don't, so safety earth can now be connected without anything extra built to it.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Vunce,
Nice noise/hum hunting that you did.
Can you specify some more about the “Hum Buster” 15R that you implemented ?
Did you add a 15R ground lift for the input stage + fb (RCA gnd, C101, R102, C111, C115) ?

I found the articles : "Advanced Grounding Guruship" and "The library of grounding problems"

Regards,
Danny

Hi Danny,

Yes, that’s the ‘guide’ I referenced.
I connected the HBR between the signal gnd pad and 0V input pad on the backside of the alpha board.
My chassis has basically 3 individual metal panels that I think will need to be linked together in order for all the precautions to work properly. The input RF filter capacitor mounted at the rca input will not work unless the metal rear panel is connected to the metal base that has chassis earth ground bolt? Correct?

ATTENTION!!!
Don't remove safety earth connection!
Never.

5 sec test under controlled enviroment and remote power connection didn't killed anyone this time, but you are absolutely correct and right!

Edit: I did it because I wanted to figure out that do I need ground loop breaker. It seems I don't, so safety earth can now be connected without anything extra built to it.

Do it for instant test only,under full controlling conditions.;)

The usual cases of electrocution at home are usually in the bathroom: bathtub with water and hairdryer.

Well, a class A amplifier is almost a little hairdryer by the amount of current :D

1500 watts at 230 Vac -> 7 A. 115 Vac -> 14 A.

150 watts at 230 Vac -> 0.7 A. 115 Vac -> 1.4 A.

Last edited:
By the way, ALL should look the power inlet at AV Receivers.

An example:

[URL="https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Custom%20Install/Detailed%20Product%20Information/AV%20Receivers/SC-65_Back.jpg"]https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Custom%20Install/Detailed%20Product%20Information/AV%20Receivers/SC-65_Back.jpg[/URL]

Off course, the ALPHA should have a [B]star ground[/B] [I](circuits -> case)[/I].

Hello Juntuin,

Great news that you got your Alpha hum knocked down! Where did you install the 10r resistor?

It's really a pleasure to listen it now! Conventional CRC supply seems to work much better with this application.

I disconnected 0v wire from PCB and placed 10r between 0V from PSU and PCB. So whole amp's PCB got lifted 0V. So did it much like you, but you lifted only signal ground?

Setup now;

12 x 22 000uF caps in CRCCRC - configuration, 500VA 2x20V toroid, higher "original" bias (1,9A if remember correctly?). Only modification is lifted 0V from boards and ground loops are gone. Amp is now almost dead quiet again with 96db/w/m speakers. Sounding really nice!

Oh, btw; I tried to lift only signal ground at first, it didn't had any effect?!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Maty, now I nailed it! Just lifted 0V before amp board with 10r resistor and thats it :) happy again!

Hi Juntuin,
You lifted the whole pcb ground with 10R?
Also the speaker return or did you connect the speaker return at the PS gnd ?
Normally only the signal pad should be lifted,
the C103 decoupling cap and speaker return should be connected to gnd PS, not via 10r lift.
Regards,
Danny

Hi Juntuin,
You lifted the whole pcb ground with 10R?
Also the speaker return or did you connect the speaker return at the PS gnd ?
Normally only the signal pad should be lifted,
the C103 decoupling cap and speaker return should be connected to gnd PS, not via 10r lift.
Regards,
Danny

Hi Danny, just edited my post :) at first I tried to lift signal ground only with 10r, it did not had any effect! That's why I was so surprised when lifting speaker return also helped.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm missing something here, on my Alpha20 PCB the "IN" signal pad gnd is already connected with the 0V pad.

Regards,
Danny

Hi Danny,

I wanted to rule out the possibility that some of the noise was coming from a source component and not the Alpha. I figured it couldn’t hurt.

“Use a ‘HBR’ resistor (that’s the 15 Ohms devices you see in the previous slide) to prevent significant ground currents flowing between the source device and receiving amplifier. The signal ground connects to the amplifier on-board ground through this resistor.”

What do you think would be the best way to electrically bond the metal panels of my chassis? Braided grounding wire or regular stranded wire?