Technics SU-V9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this okay to use to adust amplfier impendance

I am in need to adjust and repair my Technics SU-V9 as its having random issues with the relay not kicking in.

I fixed the earth, check for dry joints, and I am doing to adjust the impedance

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I could not get 6.5ohm carbon film resistors, so i got 3.3 ohm 5% tolerance resistors, problem is i am getting 4.3ohm and the lowest reading of the 50 of them was 3.9ohm? to me this seems more than 5%tolerance:confused:

I tested a 1% 100ohm resistor with my meter and i got 100.4ohms so cant be the meter

Thanks Ray, so even though i get the correct 100ohm for the 1% tolerance resistor, the lower value 3.3ohm resistor will give a less accuarate result with the multimetre

Thanks googlyone, i am concerned with the resistor value, I got 3.3ohm 5% tolerance was in the photo of the manual below

If this is a resistor in / near the output of a power amplifier any old resistor will be OK.

you clearly have resistors that are near enough to the right resistance.

MAACO;s advice is absolutely correct...

but I am still a bit puzzled as what the function of this device is!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A manual link helps. FWIW, the little text fragment in #4 is of the adjustments procedure from the SUV9 here: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/su-v9.shtml
I've attached below a larger snip of the adjustments seen in that manual in English.

There is a difficulty following what this is for since it is not a straightforward class AB amplifier so this is'nt a typical class AB output stage bias current adjustment. The adjustment is for the load sensing detector which switches to lower power rails when low impedance or parallel pairs of speakers are fitted. This is necessary because the power supply is based on a small E-I power transformer which "sags" under a heavy 4 ohm load to protect the single output pair. The 6.5R test resistor then, is only representative of a load which should be the switchover point between 4 and 8 ohms. Knowing how variable speaker impedances are, it seems a pretty specific value to assign but I imagine anything around 6R will work as well in practical application.

You really need to study the design of each successive Technics SUV model from that period. They all differ somewhat in their approach to overall design which lies somewhere between feedforward error correction of their new class A, super AA, AA+ and what amounts to essentially class AB.

Attachments

• Techics SUV9 adjustments.PNG
    Techics SUV9 adjustments.PNG
    84.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hello Ray
Thank you for the help again.

The DC multimeter, its not AC like normal amps adjustments.

The Multimeter is first attached to TP703 and Chassis or do i put wire in the earth and attach to TP703.

I need dc volt of 0v for 701 and dc volt of -0.1V for 702.

Hi Ray,
Thanks again, so
here is a photo of the procedure to comfirm

Blue wire earth to TP703, resistors in speaker connectors ( some of the Mueller Electrtic terminals plastic has broken but they are tellurium copper version)
earth probe -ve of DMM and +ve on TP702 and 1 for the adjustments

Z8QhvcW.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ray, yes they fell off then I returned to the amp, so will find a smaller clip, as they points don't have much to grip onto.

Try Jaycar out here , its a electronics store for smaller clips or something with a hook.

Least I got the procedure right now. I hope that fixes its random behavior.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.