Technics SU-V9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are all Radiospares prices so going "audio grade" isn't going to break the bank and often cost less than 105deg, the audio electros are also bigger and might fit the space older larger volume caps needed.

Nichicon Fine Gold 3.3μF 50V dc 5mm $0.278 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Nichicon Bipolar EP 3.3μF 50V 5mm $0.49 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Toshin UTSJ 3.3μF 50V dc 5.5mm $1.252 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Panasonic FC 3.3μF 50V dc 5mm $0.712 Each (In a Pack of 5)

Nichicon Fine Gold 33μF 50V dc 8mm $0.544 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Toshin UTSJ 33μF 63V dc 6.8mm $1.252 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Panasonic FC 33μF 63V dc 6.3mm $0.714 Each (In a Pack of 5)

Nichicon Fine Gold 100μF 50V dc 10mm $1.524 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Toshin UTSJ 100μF 63V dc 10.5mm $5.20 Each (In a Pack of 2) ouch!
Panasonic FC 100μF 63V dc 10mm $0.694 Each (In a Pack of 5)

regards
james

Look for polarization - if there is no indication on the cap, PCB or schematic, audio coupling caps could be special non-polarized types which won't be stocked locally. Low ESR is not necessary for coupling - it's desirable for most other small cap. applications in audio though. Panasonic FC, FM are fine and you don't need the super low ESR for SMPS applications that FR grade is intended for.

Regarding your tuner - be very careful what caps you touch in there and of course, only the few electrolytics may need replacement. If you remove or even touch anything from the actual FM and AM tuner sections though, you may well affect or completely detune the critical sections that detect and demodulate the signal or even the stereo separation circuitry. Then you'll need an RF expert to get it to work properly again. Without knowing what it is, I'm guessing it is a similar vintage to your amplifier - early 1980s and probably before microprocessors were common. If it has the old mechanical (rotary capacitors) tuning with slide-rule dial and cord, that identifies the sections to stay away from.

Hello Ian,
Thank you for the reply and help.
That is good so FM will be fine for the V9. The white semi circle is negative. I thought since it was around the power in area it had to be low esr, so need for the super low esr like FR. They are the general cap that Technics seem to use everywhere the CE brand caps.

As for the tuner, its rather spread out the few bad eaten away caps, i am a bit nervous about having issues with FM etc, its from the 1981 period so old around V9s era.

image below is of the tuner, - green dots mark the bad caps.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These are all Radiospares prices so going "audio grade" isn't going to break the bank and often cost less than 105deg, the audio electros are also bigger and might fit the space older larger volume caps needed.

Nichicon Fine Gold 3.3μF 50V dc 5mm $0.278 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Nichicon Bipolar EP 3.3μF 50V 5mm $0.49 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Toshin UTSJ 3.3μF 50V dc 5.5mm $1.252 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Panasonic FC 3.3μF 50V dc 5mm $0.712 Each (In a Pack of 5)

Nichicon Fine Gold 33μF 50V dc 8mm $0.544 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Toshin UTSJ 33μF 63V dc 6.8mm $1.252 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Panasonic FC 33μF 63V dc 6.3mm $0.714 Each (In a Pack of 5)

Nichicon Fine Gold 100μF 50V dc 10mm $1.524 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Toshin UTSJ 100μF 63V dc 10.5mm $5.20 Each (In a Pack of 2) ouch!
Panasonic FC 100μF 63V dc 10mm $0.694 Each (In a Pack of 5)

regards
james
Hello James
Thank you for the reply and help.
RS they sell in packs of 5. Its great they got FG, I must say i haven heart of Toshin before but the name seems Japanese.

Thanks
Sam

V9 amplifer section - power in from transfomer, green dot was cap that was a dry joint, possible reason of its behaviiour
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thanks James, TK, i know the brand now they are green, had them in an old NEC CD620 (btw has the TDA1541A in it) some went bad but gave it a recap, era of player is 1987 - rare and beautiful player

on topic
I have managed i think to locate the right channel +ve path? Do i need audiograde mixed with FMs?

I think :eek:

RCH 704

Technics V9 recap question

Hi
Since finding one of 2 bad caps on my V9 mainboard i have thought of changing all.

I have a mix of Pano FR, and for the only bipolar SU and the other caps on the main are PW, Wima for electro <1uf. The big main caps look nice and flat so i think they are fine

Pre-drive board not sure what to use (pre drive attached photos)
FR Elna SilmicII o KW, PW PE ? biplolar maybe EP this time?

I would have to do a complete adjustment after the recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.