Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

I have terrible shaking hands. My method for soldering SMDs:
1.I put gel flux on the pads, and add a little solder on the soldering iron tip(i assume that you have a temperature controlled one, don`t you?)
2.I take the component with the tweezer and position it in place...i often use both hands
3.Once the component is exactly in the right place i grab the soldering iron and solder the most accesibile pad of the component
4.I like at this stage to push down the component with my hand and resolder the joint that i made. I do this to make shure that the component rest perfectly flat on the board.
5.I solder the rest of the joints and resolder last, the joint that i made first.
Gel flux is magical when you have to solder multipin components.

happy new year to all!

Idefixes Nice work. These are nice amps. I don't know the reason but they are easy to build into a very quiet unit...No hum or buzz. I also like the plywood chassis. I use them myself and have been instructed to ground the heatsink.

Thimios Thanks. It's nice to be back.

E

Hi Evan,
Plywood is easy to work....and i am more confortable with wood work than metal work. Tha,ks for advice about heatsink grounding. All metal pieces on case will be grounded (safty practice...). In amp case trafos will be located in down part of case V/S amp board and smoothing bank in the uper part of case separated from down part by a metal sheet also groundred. I join you latest progress on 6j6 preamp face veenering.

Attachments

• 20180103_191432.jpg
    20180103_191432.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 20180103_191706.jpg
    20180103_191706.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 20180104_153410.jpg
    20180104_153410.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 254
Hi Evan,
Plywood is easy to work....and i am more confortable with wood work than metal work. Tha,ks for advice about heatsink grounding. All metal pieces on case will be grounded (safty practice...). In amp case trafos will be located in down part of case V/S amp board and smoothing bank in the uper part of case separated from down part by a metal sheet also groundred. I join you latest progress on 6j6 preamp face veenering.

No soucy. I will just make two little mod on board. If you want PM me for e-mail.

Best Reagrds Marc

I have a new input power supply for the NS series amps ready for testing. It's powered from two 10AV transformers so the input stage supplies are completely separate from the output supplies, so they won't see the droop or ripple. The +/-15V rails are regulated with low noise TPS7A4901/3001 regulator ICs and the high voltage rails are a discrete adjustable design Valery put together that can supply anything from 40v - 75V by adjusting a trim pot.

Attachments

• 20180104_142136.jpg
    20180104_142136.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 260
I have a new input power supply for the NS series amps ready for testing. It's powered from two 10AV transformers so the input stage supplies are completely separate from the output supplies, so they won't see the droop or ripple. The +/-15V rails are regulated with low noise TPS7A4901/3001 regulator ICs and the high voltage rails are a discrete adjustable design Valery put together that can supply anything from 40v - 75V by adjusting a trim pot.
Nice!
I guess all IPS will be happy with this quiet power supply!
Will be interesting to see if this affect measurements or if it is audible.;)

Wow! It looks like I've missed so many posts this Christmas! :rolleyes:
Happy New Year to everyone! :santa2:

Terry, Evan - welcome back, great to see you here!
So many cool projects are going on - Marc, Evan, Thimios.
Jeff, I like the way the front-end PSU came out - versatile set of regulators.

I'm working on the Simpelstark/ODNF prototype these days - hope to have some results pretty soon.

Cheers,
Valery

Hi Valery,

I have a matched set of Reflektor 6H23N-EB, will they work in the Tubsumo IPS? If yes, are they drop in replacement?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the Simpelstark/ODNF you’re talking about?

Jeff, very nice regulator! Does the footprint/holes matches the current regulator so we can stack them on top?

Thanks
Do

Last edited:
Hi Valery,

I have a matched set of Reflektor 6H23N-EB, will they work in the Tubsumo IPS? If yes, are they drop in replacement?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the Simpelstark/ODNF you’re talking about?

Jeff, very nice regulator! Does the footprint/holes matches the current regulator so we can stack them on top?

Thanks
Do

Simpelstark is Valery's new no global feedback amp. No-global-loop amplification

The new input board uses the same footprint as the old one.

Hi Valery,

Thanks
Do

Hi Do,

Unfortunately, this IPS is designed particularly for 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes.
Any different kind of tube will require some re-design, one way or the other.

Simpelstark is initially a no-global-loop design, described in a separate thread, that can be equipped with Only Distortion Negative Feedback (ODNF) loop - I'm going to test both "no loop" and "only distortion loop" configurations - it's going to be some new experience for sure ;)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/312866-global-loop-amplification-5.html#post5209825

Cheers,
Valery