What is this amp, and what do you think of it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Without saying too much about the make or model, can those in the know say what they think of this power amplifier? I don't know how much you can tell from a picture, but any observations relating to quality and value of the item would be interesting...

thanks

Attachments

• 20150604_225621.jpg
    20150604_225621.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 755
Hi,

Strange choice and use of that heat sink. No apparent
thermal feedback for biasing. Pretty wimpy board
tracks for the high current stuff. No attempt to use
spare board space as a ground or supply plane.
Hard to work out the rectifier arrangements.

Whatever it is I'd say its not mainstream.
Value wise I'd say nothing special, at all.

rgds, sreten.

Looks like the outputs/drivers are point to point wired direct to the PS (on the
heatsinks.

What's left on the board is apparent , LTP , servo, CCS's , VAS. Don't see the
driver pads , but do see the Vbe out on the twisted triple (3 blue's).

A shot of the other side would confirm.

OS

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The heatsinks look to be substitutions since the output darlingtons are wrongly located on those extruded sections and the narrow ventilation slots don't cover them properly for cooling efficiency. Guessing they could be 72 mm high, would give a free air rating of 2.2°K/W or 2.5°K/W if 55mm high. That's not a lot of cooling when the parts are fitted incorrectly in a poorly vented enclosure.

Even though there is a reasonable sized transformer, perhaps the amplifier should only be rated about 30W/ channel? :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jacco,
I have never seen that brand on this side of the pond. They really produce this and sell it?? Wow. Is it as bad as it looks?

I see someone asking 300 pounds for that exact model. :yikes:

-Chris

Edit: Does anyone have a schematic for this beasty?

Last edited:
as bad as it looks?

In reality they're even worse than on a picture, imo.

Albarry went bust in the '90s, but relaunched half a decade ago, still the same cheap plastic styling for rather absurd price levels.

The stero power amp is pretty much the integrated (PP1) model of that era, in the same case, minus the preamp hardware (Britannia all the way).
The M408 is half an S508, in a different case.

Attachments

• albarry.gif
    albarry.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 413
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mr Zen!
Always a pleasure! Keeping well I hope?

Hi jacco,
Looking at the schematic (many thanks), it's like there was an standard design that had changes strapped onto it to make it better. This is an odd amplifier for sure. The Audiolab 8000 is a much better product! I have seen those come across my bench before. Those amps I don't mind at all.

Hi Bill,
Do you really have a hand in that S508 amplifier? Interesting. We all have to start somewhere, and that place isn't normally something to be proud of.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.