What is this amp, and what do you think of it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jacco,
To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't even notice the reset switch! I was looking at the signal path - taking it all in as it were.

Now, the reset switch is bizarre! Completely bonkers. Not something normally seen on audio equipment. One per channel, or was it a double pole switch? Nice big red cover that you pull up before you can access the switch?

Wow.

-Chris :rolleyes:

Joined 2010
Paid Member
... the reset button was added to later production items...
I see. Paul Kemble includes it on his schematic here for the M408 which must date the feature back quite some time ago. I have no idea of the sequence of their models or how long they stay in production though.

There's a polite assessment ;) of the protection circuit (and some other interesting and useful stuff) from Andrea Ciuffoli in this link, about repairing a monobloc version: Albarry

Last edited:
a polite assessment

2 words : IKEA, Lekman.

(the designer and curent owner of Albarry, Neil Burnett, must have a thing for Ferrari and large power supplies. Check out images of the AP11/AP2/AP4 preamp, 150VA minimum toroid transformer, 15Vdc series regulator IC's)

Attachments

• Lekman.JPG
    Lekman.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Plastica.jpg
    Plastica.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
from Andrea Ciuffoli in this link

Btw, the M1008 has an ILP 73018 toroidal, which is 300VA and 35Vac, not 33.
The number 7 stands for 300VA, 18 for 35Vac (once ILP gets in your head, it's there forever)

300VA for a bipolar output stage with four TO218 devices of 125W Pd each (Vce of 100V at ~50Vdc rails), pushing a reset button may become a career.

(Mr Burnett mustn't think highly of mains fuses either, it's always 3.15A, regardless of output power level, power or preamp model)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jacco,
The ILP ranking system makes about as much sense to me as the rules for Cricket do - hold on ... now it makes sense!

Wow, followed by Wow. I guess Mr. Burnett got a screaming deal on 3,15 ampere fuses in the past. So, how does this get by electrical safety regulations?

-Chris

about as much sense

The British and their thing for secret codes, and such.
Kind of charming, in a way.

The ILP standard range went from 15VA to 625VA, numbered from 0-9.
Same deal for the secondary voltages, but turns rather irrational halfway.
(as to be expected, why on earth they find the Frogs odd is beyond me)

Since the late '70s, ILP was the toroidal brand sold by next to every electronics supply store here (and there were many).
Only took a couple of different transformers for projects to memorise the transformer coding system.

Models with 110/120Vac primaries had a 6.3A mains fuse.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
7205252616_1895a935b3_b.jpg

From a DIY perspective, perhaps the Albarry amp isn't the worst I've seen but now, here is some real flat-earth audio electronica by Nene Valley Audio.
Note the glued assembly - even the TO218 outputs and the :censored: case are glued: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/212450-beefing-up-nva-ap10p-amp.html
To be fair, the case nowadays at least, has CE compliance labelling but if the double insulation is to the same standard as previous,
I would be very concerned if I used it: NVA Amplifier | eBay

At NVA, we use painted wooden side panels for it's superior non-magnetic properties.
Indeed, that's why the rest of the amp case is made of aluminum.

At NVA, we're not fond of metal fasteners, we even use adhesive to stick electrolytics together (AP50 3d ed.)
Long live Brittania, Brittania glues the waves.

Last edited:
At NVA, we use painted wooden side panels for it's superior non-magnetic properties.
Indeed, that's why the rest of the amp case is made of aluminum.

At NVA, we're not fond of metal fasteners, we even use adhesive to stick electrolytics together (AP50 3d ed.)
Long live Brittania, Brittania glues the waves.

From the NVA web site:
"bonded together with structural adhesives to avoid the magnetic contamination of steel screws" (highlite is mine).
As a microbiologist, I love it :)

Cheers,

Jacques

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jacco,
Don't you love that (unshielded) signal wire passing the (laminated) transformer by half an inch.
Perfect! How about the unshielded input lead that runs parallel with a secondary wire to the bridge rect? Are they cancelling some hum from the circuit by chance?

That's one scary, scary amplifier.

Hi Bill,
Those DNM products are way out there. Have you checked out the pricing? Their premise is looney.

-Chris

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.