Sanken SAP15 transistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2002, 11:36 PM   #1
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Sanken SAP15 transistors

Does anybody know a little bit more about the Sanken SAP15 transistors ?
They are 5 legged audio darlington power transistors, where the emitter resistor and some diodes for the bias are already incorporated. A pair of them will give (together with a trim pot for bias adjust) a full power section of an audio amplifier.
(More at the datasheets from the Sanken webpages).

Quite a few manufacturers seem to use this items nowadays, just to mention the Cambridge Audio integrated amps.

Any experiences ? And where can I get them ? They do not seem to be listed with farnell or rs-components.

Klaus
Old 12th December 2003, 10:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The SAP15 can be bought from a Sherwood Service Agent as it is used in the Pro-Logic Amp model RVD 7090R
Old 12th December 2003, 12:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Farnell sell them:

SAP15N (NPN) - part no 4103749
SAP16P (PNP) - part no 4103750

The datasheet for these can be found via the Allegro website, although Farnell have it here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/33895.pdf

Also, you can buy them from Rapid Electronics (http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/) - last time I compared prices, they were slightly cheaper than Farnell.

I know that Arcam use them in the A85, which is a very well-regarded amplifier in the sub 1000 arena. I'd be interested to hear which other commercial amps use them... I'm seriously thinking about trying them, because they really simplify the output stage - has anyone else considered them?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12th December 2003, 12:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

They are available from Profusion
http://www.profusionplc.com/scripts/...ken&itypes=all

Around 3 Euro +VAT, free shipping (AFAIK).
Old 12th December 2003, 05:36 PM   #5
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know that Arcam use them in the A85, which is a very well-regarded amplifier in the sub 1000 arena. I'd be interested to hear which other commercial amps use them... I'm seriously thinking about trying them, because they really simplify the output stage - has anyone else considered them?
They are used in the Sony STR-DA4ES and STR-DA7ES receivers.
Old 12th December 2003, 06:19 PM   #6
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

So somebody read this thread finally after all the time...

Thanks guys.
Klaus
Old 16th December 2003, 11:32 PM   #7
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Excellent info!!

If you guys allow me to deviate a bit,

By the same Token, does anyone know an alternate to the custom devices Sanken made for the Kenwood class-G, DLD amps?

They are also 5 legged in MT-200 pack. Part numbers are.

DAT1018N
DAT1018P

DAT1521N
DAT1521N

Data sheets or subs or any other info would help. The issue is, the local Kenwood distributors sell these for $45 to $53 a piece!

Thanks!
Old 13th May 2005, 01:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have bought a broken Marantz SR 5400 6 channel receiver. Nice, spaceous case, big transformer, plenty of space to put in an active crossover...

It uses SAP17 transistors. I have not been able to find a data sheet - anybody have one?

It is also not clear from the data sheet of the Sanken SAP15 and 16 transistors, whether they are comparable in speed and hfe linearity to their great LAPT devices.

Their hfe linearity does not look too good, but this might actually be due to unsufficient bias in the drivers in this measurement configuration.

It also bothers me that one cannot have a single resistor between the bases of the power transistors if one connects them the way Sanken intends. However, by using directly connecting an external 0.22 R resistor to each sense lead, it would be possible to have this better topology.
Old 18th July 2005, 04:24 AM   #9
ostie01 is offline ostie01  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default SAP15N AND SAP15P

THOSE ARE AVALAIBLE AT AUDIOLAB OF GA http://audiolabga.com/.
FOR $11.00 EACHS.CAN BE BUY TOO AT PACIFIC SEMI http://pacificsemi.com/index.html FOR $4.00 EACH BUT THEY ARE OUT OF STOCK RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE USED IN CAMBRIDGE P5OO POWER AMP.. Jeff.
Old 27th December 2005, 05:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello,

My cambridge A500RC has an audio channel that doesn't work anymore. I opened it and saw that one of the transistors is dead. It says: SK SAP15 NY 1914.
I was able to find a SAP15 with your help (thanks guys) but the last number of the part is different. Is it important or can I just buy a SAP15NY XXXX?

Thanks a lot,

-Jerome

Hide this!Advertise here!