Sanken SAP15 transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Leery of Sanken

hayenc said:
authentic SAP16N & P's still be purchased:

http://www.profusionplc.com/

How do you know they are authentic? This supplier's web site looks questionable? Everybody seems to be buying fakes all the time. Furthermore, I see no mention of SAP16N's & P's on the Sanken site? Are these devices long obsolete?

I'm leery and need more background than just a url.

Thanks,

Shawn.

-Parallel?
-North American supplier?
-Obsolete?
-rail voltage on post 21 by zeonrider?

Sanken's

TomWaits said:

How do you know they are authentic? This supplier's web site looks questionable? Everybody seems to be buying fakes all the time. Furthermore, I see no mention of SAP16N's & P's on the Sanken site? Are these devices long obsolete?

I'm leery and need more background than just a url.

Thanks,

Shawn.

-Parallel?
-North American supplier?
-Obsolete?
-rail voltage on post 21 by zeonrider?

24 hours, no takers. Are these things crap?

Shawn.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Apologies, but I was debating whether such concern (paranoia?) was worth a response.

The SAP 16's I ordered from them came very quickly and everything appeared professional. Others have shared similar experiences with Profusion, especially with Wolfson devices. I doubt Wolfson would allow a less than professional outfit to represent them.

I will admit that work has prevented me from running tests on the SAP's, but I see nothing in them that would indicate fakes.

I would suggest contacting Profusion directly. They were very responsive to my questions. No, I did not find a North American supplier, but given the quick and inexpensive shipping, I saw no reason to look further.

There are some descriptions of experiences with these devices in some of the LM4702 threads.

Craig

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hayenc said:
Apologies, but I was debating whether such concern (paranoia?) was worth a response.

The SAP 16's I ordered from them came very quickly and everything appeared professional. Others have shared similar experiences with Profusion, especially with Wolfson devices. I doubt Wolfson would allow a less than professional outfit to represent them.

I will admit that work has prevented me from running tests on the SAP's, but I see nothing in them that would indicate fakes.

I would suggest contacting Profusion directly. They were very responsive to my questions. No, I did not find a North American supplier, but given the quick and inexpensive shipping, I saw no reason to look further.

There are some descriptions of experiences with these devices in some of the LM4702 threads.

Craig

I have been buying and using SAP's from Profusion for several years now without any problems. These are the real things.

Jan Didden

i have a cambridge A500 amp.......just turned it on today and immediately it started to smoke.....opened it up and the SAP15 is charred......the code on it is SAP15 PO 1410........anyone know where i can find one?.......wondering why it burned.....if the positive and negative speaker cable connects are touching each other coming off the amp, could that short out the transistor?.........i looked on the back of the amp afterwords and that was the only thing i could see that looked out of place......

Hi, hank,

If the positive and negative connections on the amp were shorted, this is very likely to cause the transistors to short out.

I've had to repair a few Cambridge amps before, and if I remember rightly, I don't think they have a huge amount of short-circuit protection on them. (even if amps do have protection circuits, they're often not 100% guaranteed to prevent damage).

Last time I bought a pair of Sanken transistors, they cost around £14 here in the UK (around $31 Canadian?) but the postage was quite high. I usually get them from Dalbani / Nikko elecrtonics.....

http://www.dalbani.co.uk/index.php

Here's a list of a few Sanken distributors in Canada that may be able to help (although I wouldn't count on it with some of the bigger companies).....

http://www.allegromicro.com/salesloc/sal2nam.htm#canada

OzOnE.

Edit: Forgot to add, when the transistors short out, they often take something else with them. Most common are low-ohm resistors in line with the speaker output, preset potentiometers, diodes, and the small bias current transistors etc. (basically, anything unfortunately :xeye: In some cases, the new replacement transistors might pop again if another component is faulty.

If only one channel is blown, you could try comparing the resistances of components with the same ones on the opposite channel with a DVM (with the amp power off! :hot: )

Counterfeit Sankens are probably not worth doing; they're not as commonly used and are a relatively complex part with more pins in the package. The pirates probably won't touch them when it's far cheaper to do the standard three-pin plastic packs.

The real problem for many of us is >getting< them, especially at a reasonable price.

Hi, I think they haven't a cat in Hell's chance.
As soon as you said De.... and Pi.... I knew you were on to a loser.

Think about building a Leach clone or SKA GB150.

Both can be easily scaled to do 100W into 8ohms and both will trounce mainstream AV equipment.

hello AndrewT....what are your thoughts about amps built by MC2 Audio...hey have been making amps for a few years now...and hey seem to work quite fine...they are a 'bit big' for the domestic market...but then 'some' sound studios like them...
I happened upon a T1000 that had been treated a but rough..had been used to drive subwoofers in a nite club and perhaps had been driven a bt hard...I picked it up cheap at an auction and promptly began enjoying it's power....500watt a side into my a pair of FOH dual 15 inch cabinets I had working on a theatrical production....
all worked ok untill a bit too much feed back during a rehearsal when the girls on stage kept walking past the FOH and my sound techie didn't pull down their mikes in time....(even antifeedback settings can not stop direct contact...) any way the speakers made a garbled sound immediately afterward and so we turned off the amp, switched those particular FOH speakers to another amp I had in the rack and continued with the rehearsal and the production that weekend...that was a couple of weeks ago, and now that I have the rack back in the shop I pulled that T1000 to see what damage had occurred....

yes it is fitted with 12 Sanken SAP15's, 6 for each channel...the T1000 specs claim 300 watt into 8 ohms, 500 watt into 4 ohms and 700 watt into 2 ohms...with THD @ 4 ohms being <0.008%.

The T1000 surely sounded nice an clean when running full tack with sound tracks being played...and considering it's age and abuse over the years I would like to hear what it sounds like with a fresh set of components...

any way guys..that is the intro to my story...I now have the T1000 with it's top off and board out with that unmistakeble smell of something having being very very hot for a while...the SAP15's all look intact....nothing visibly wrong with them....but on this particular amp there are a couple of coupling capacitators on the underside that appear to have got a little bit too hot.....hey even scorched the chassis...right where they sit...I have not taken a meter to or a soldering iron to the amp yet....just opened this baby late last night...and will look back at it later this week....after all I have a show to go work at today...

this is just an intro to see if any others have worked on MC2 amps or have an idea what to look for with SAP15's going off the wall .....I have yet to set this up again and look at voltages...but will do that come monday..when I have more time...mean while...life goes on..

ciao for now....

SEE THIS

APPLICATIONS:D

Attachments

• SAP15 CFP.PNG
    SAP15 CFP.PNG
    118.3 KB · Views: 653
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.