cfp - variant --> current coupled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• WCF CURRENT COUPLING.PNG
    WCF CURRENT COUPLING.PNG
    217.5 KB · Views: 700
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Assuming transistors Q2 and Q4 are identical (figure attached), Q2's current must be less than Q4's current. They have the same base voltage but Q2's emitter voltage is less than Q4's emitter voltage, due to the IR drop across R5. Thus Q2's base-to-emitter voltage is smaller than Q4's base-to-emitter voltage. Thus Q2's current is smaller than Q4's current.

Therefore "current booster" Q2, can only increase the total output current thru R6, by a factor of two at most - because Ic2 < Ie1. In my opinion, this nullifies one of the big advantages of the CFP, namely its enormous current gain (Iout / Iin). In a standard CFP the current gain is proportional to the square of Beta, while in this circuit the current gain is merely proportional to Beta. In fact it's less than 2 x Q1_Beta.

Attachments

• Four_Transistor_CFP.png
    Four_Transistor_CFP.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 649
Assuming transistors Q2 and Q4 are identical (figure attached), Q2's current must be less than Q4's current. They have the same base voltage but Q2's emitter voltage is less than Q4's emitter voltage, due to the IR drop across R5. Thus Q2's base-to-emitter voltage is smaller than Q4's base-to-emitter voltage. Thus Q2's current is smaller than Q4's current.

Therefore "current booster" Q2, can only increase the total output current thru R6, by a factor of two at most - because Ic2 < Ie1. In my opinion, this nullifies one of the big advantages of the CFP, namely its enormous current gain (Iout / Iin). In a standard CFP the current gain is proportional to the square of Beta, while in this circuit the current gain is merely proportional to Beta. In fact it's less than 2 x Q1_Beta.
+1
And why is the OUT where it is drawn :confused:
Mona

Mark Johnson said:
Assuming transistors Q2 and Q4 are identical (figure attached)
I would assume that Q2 is a power device and Q4 is similar to a driver device.

Stee said:
The advantage is stability
current don't need to transform itself in voltage and again in current
to control the unit gain
And there was I always thinking that stability problems were caused by unwanted parasitic feedback, rather than current-voltage transformations. If this version of CFP is more stable, then this arises from the reduced internal gain - which may have to made up elsewhere.

Roughly speaking, this is an emitter follower augmented by an asymetric current mirror. I am unclear what Q3 (in post 3) does - it will increase Miller effect in Q1.

Hi,

Q4´s dynamic resistance is lower than a discrete resistor at this position.
Should allow for higher bandwidth of the CFP and probabely less oscillation tendency.
I can´t follow Stee´s explanation for the function diode connected Q3 either.
First guess would go in the direction of some kind of temperature compensation, but certainly not for "cutting RF in half".
Your sure You didn´t simply drew a wrong connection and that Q2´s base belongs connected to Q3´s base instead and Q4 is a discrete Resistor? ;)

jauu
Calvin

diode chain

is the best method (as I know)
to have pure current coupling

it's works like a local voltage divider
that avoid critical threshold
white noise
so the RF oscillation

probably the cutting theory is NOT true: P

don't know if simulator can look this effect

Attachments

• OPS_AB_SCH.png
    OPS_AB_SCH.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 270
Hi,

in the marked circuits there's no current mirroring taking place.
Signal-in is fed into emitters and Signal-out is fed from emitters.
The 'outer' diodes also don't form current mirrors.
Stee, You are still just claiming effects but You don't explain the mechanism behind.
What is the secret noise draining mechanism of the diode connected transistors?
So far I only see that the diodes drop a bit of voltage and -beeing real life devices- generate noise.
Also, depending on the supply voltage rails the sourcing or sinking resistors may become considerably smaller in value.
This in turn may be positive for a CFP, as the base resistor of the slave transistor in a CFP should be small.
Could it be, that the nodes between the Diodes become low impedance nodes (emitter), which would be medium-to-high impedance without?

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.