NJM072 opamp question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've had a play with a few of these testers and they seem fine with small-signal parts (yes, I mean small, low voltage, mA rated transistors). The problem I find is that results don't always correlate with those using typical multimeter methods or dedicated test instruments. Particularly, don't rely on their measurements with larger transistors like drivers, voltage regulators or output transistors. The reason I suggest, is that the voltages applied may be small (4V) and test current is limited to 5 mA which together, can give wrong or very misleading results.

All the many variations of these multifunction testers use similar firmware and microcontroller chips (and very little else) so there won't be a lot of difference in results using different types unless, as in the case of rechargeable types using 4V LiPO cells, you are further restricted and a charge pump is needed to generate the necessary test voltage.

Really, these gizmos are too dodgy to use as general purpose testers. Sure, they are super-cheap, almost idiot-proof and do work like a charm on the right sorts of parts but keep 'em for breadboarding ideas or sorting old signal-level TO92 parts you find rather than deciding whether any type of part works properly or not, based only on their results. :2c:

Thanks guys, I wont totally conclude the transistor is good based on that 1 tester.
I have a B&K precision transistor tester I use in conjunction with it, as well as the usual DMM.
I'd say if all 3 say they are good, its good, all 3 bad = bad, and if they all contradict, I'll use a different method to test and validate, say I am out in 1 channel, I'll test that part from the other channel to see if its different ... and so on.

Of course the amp itself is a tester, but you have many failed items you cant use the amp really.

Cool.
Srinath.

LOL, not quite. I've just got a habit of working on the tailgate of my truck.
In a few weeks I may get myself a work bench put back together.
I had one till feb of this year, except it got quicly piled up with motors, carb parts suspension parts, wheels etc etc etc ... so my thought is, if it will sit in 1 place, it will get crammed full of crap. Since truck will run and tailgate has to be empty to close ... bingo instant work bench.
Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.