VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Head amp with IRS610/9610 on outputs. Twist legs of output hexFETs to fit.

569253d1473585568-transistor-preamp-jk-vssa-preamp.jpg

This would benefit from some resistance being placed in the source circuits of the output devices to reduce the chance of thermal runaway. As a head amp I'm sure something like this is OK, though I've never tried anything like this myself.

A note for anyone with boards yet to build: The boards were not designed for verticals - for a power amp DO NOT simply drop in verticals! There will be smoke and tears! Seriously, they could be properly adapted by those who know what needs to be done.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A note for anyone with boards yet to build: The boards were not designed for verticals - for a power amp DO NOT simply drop in verticals! There will be smoke and tears! Seriously, they could be properly adapted by those who know what needs to be done.

Haha - that's a good warning. I plan to make the BC550 bias Vbe spreader a BD139 flying leads attached to hexFET for temp compensation. Alternatively, using a smaller power supply and lower rail voltages and current limit resistor can also prevent it from running away.

You have ground loops happening. The lifted input ground is actually there to help with this problem. The best cure for your problem is independent supplies for each channel. This also helps create a better stereo image in most amplifiers. If they are going to share a common transformer you need the input lifted ground to keep supply returns going back through the correct supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.