Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I followed this thread silently since very a long time. So I know....

Best regards,
Tournesol.

Ditto that ! "....he is not forgotten." (from all who follow him)

Pete, now aka 'Lazarus on a Bike' has become somewhat of a DIY legend. I find one of worst things about growing old is losing all your heros. Not to patronize him, but my efforts to learn amp design got somewhat confused between two of our 'authors' pis sing matches that I quietly backtracked to OStripper's HB efforts where we became accustomed to his 'come and go' preferences (didn't we).
Frustrated trying to learn 'design' I followed his early influences back to W. Marshall Leach, Jr., Prof Georgia Tech: Whose 'SuperAmp' (AA-1800) seemed to be the comprehension 'turning point' for me.
Thanks Man! It's becoming clearer.... I'll try to catch up quietly.......

But Pete, Do 'check in' occasionally, you've got some fans here !

Charles

Last edited:
Hi there!
Can anyone re-upload & summarize all the information that passed over here in this small thread?

Not all ever ! page 1

Ostrippers idea for slewmaster came from hk990 , he took all smd:s out , left the 5 pairs per side + resistors(he added capacitance multiplier on ops to archive smaller noise for ips .

HK990 used +60V -60V for output transistors , +-80V for ips and vas. And a capacitance multiplier for with zeners for +-16.
HK990 used 45Vac & 15Vac so there was boosted rails to ips & vas look at service manual at eserviceinfo.com (FYI)

Reasons hmmm Slewmaster will clip it will clip avg. 23-24V+- (if properly assembled) under rail so hot get hot with +-85V to output transistors. Sense resistor is on 1 pair not in middle as
There where many ips , thimos & terry built as duo kind of , look i can see on oscope or soundcard & terry had a abX setup to listen to his amps his conclusion was all sound the same."Evac & ygveous" its over working like a feathers touch for painters:
If any problem pete would look at ltspice and tell what to chance usully it worked .
Valery did his Irfp mosfet version provided a arduino protection circuit for pete & others
Then jwillhem came to the party with krypton-nd a marvelous design & worked as he descibed . He gave advises kindly too became a arduino expert redesigned ver after ver
all in one protection .The sense resistor is on 1 pair . Why? ??? . HK990 "ostrippers dream amp" uses diode in 3th or middle pair bjt onsemi on similar design. Ostripper tried the SMD software more of . I can relate
Ḯm 6 bit old and this year become 7bits old, eye sight suffers from more bits!

It became a destination for sure so many amp pics & quite a peta epic journey
One of the best ever imo. Ode An die Freude.
To Ostipper by "Billy Idol"

"It's just my natural reaction
When I hit the floor
I'm the original assassin
I come up for more

You don't know what you started
You hit but missed the target

Bang, bang, bang
You shot me to the ground
But you can't break me down

Bang, bang, bang
You tried to knock me out
No, you can't break me down"

Far from being burnt out , I am back in the eastern US and enhanced.

Perhaps I should submit some "hybrid' paper to wrap up the Slewmaster / Badger saga. The thinking of the famous designers reflects in the character of the amps.

All I suspected and expected literally found me out west. I fled Oregon , deep secrets are there ... let them stay there - 3400 miles away.

Mormons , aliens/ufo's , the western weirdness ... scary ! I know why Microsoft/ Intel and all other high tech is west of the rockies.

You guys rock - OS.

Happy again! I find also a cheap HK 660 very rare output transistors unique multi emitter type,but good phono stage have,little fun and compare little with Sleewmaster, he he!

Sleewmaster are very good drive low impedans Dynaudio stand speakers,but also easy drive von Sweikert stand speaker good and sound give and happy with relax with music.

Alconer