Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I have the last BV mod built and am trouble shooting it right now. Should have it working by tonight. I have to go and deliver a wedding cake so it will be couple of hours before I can get back to it. It is working but I have a .5V offset. Hunting down the problem. I do have a question for BV.

Why are R4 and R17 different? It causes the - rail to run higher. Not questioning your design, just trying to learn.

I am attaching the mods I did to the stock board. I'll let you know if anything has to be changed.
Hi Terry ,what your opinion about this INP after 1st modification?
I mean listening test
Thimios.

Last edited:
Well I have just finished the first pass of the PCB design for this mod like 1 minute ago. I just need to check it to make sure that all is well, then I will probably give it a go. :D

Having just altered my preliminary CFA-XH design into the CFA-XHmod2 from BV, I can say that it does change a reasonable amount. Not so much as to be impossible to mod, but you are going to end up with a fair few cut traces and the like.
Good news!:radar:

Troubleshooting

Hello,

When I fried the ips cascode resistors, I connected the IPS as floating without the G2 connection on the OPS board.

I wonder what else has been fried? Most likely the cascode transistors which I do not have anymore. I could throw in BC546/bc556 for the cascodes for testing purposes but cannot install those face to face...

As mentioned somewhere earlier I have made my own pcb.

Help would be appriciated a lot

J

Attachments

• cfa-X_skema.png
    cfa-X_skema.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 493
  • cfa-X_pcb.png
    cfa-X_pcb.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 490
Hi Terry ,what your opinion about this INP after 1st modification?
I mean listening test
Thimios.

Sorry, I spent what little time I had today working on the latest version. I didn't get a chance to listen to it. As soon as I get the new one working I will give the first one a listen. I looks really good on the scope. More tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hello,

When I fried the ips cascode resistors, I connected the IPS as floating without the G2 connection on the OPS board.

I wonder what else has been fried? Most likely the cascode transistors which I do not have anymore. I could throw in BC546/bc556 for the cascodes for testing purposes but cannot install those face to face...

As mentioned somewhere earlier I have made my own pcb.

Help would be appriciated a lot

J

When you hooked it up floating did you tie PD and ND to the NFB with some 470R resistors? Without that it will put out like half the rail on the output

Hi,

What I meant with floating was that IPS ground was not connected, or better yet It was connected to Cap multiplier base which were also floating.

I tried to simulate the situation in Spice but I could not create condition where those resistors would fry with the installed components.

Also the pcb is fine, no solder bridges or anything.

J

Hi Thimios,

Did the connections... did not help... I am unable to test and measure because of the smoking resistors.

It seems that the q14 and q11 heat up when voltage is applied to the device.

J

May be CCS (Q6 and Q8) current is too high. Please disconnect R9, R10, R11, and R12. Connect collector Q6 and Q8 to ground. Tell me the voltage of R16 and R17.

2 Terry
Why are R4 and R17 different?
I attempt to trim DC ofset another way (IMO more comfortable) , look at attachments. Here is trimpot P1 added, to trim output DC ofset. Open potentiometer.zip file, put symbol file into LTC lib/sym/.. folder, and library file into LTC lib/sub/.. folder
In schematic are some changes (i hope last..) to improve behavior during clipping and at fast transients (to limit all internal currents to safe levels and avoid saturation under those conditions). Enjoy..But it is not "cook book"!

Attachments

• CFA-X mod BV.asc
    26.3 KB · Views: 137
  • CFA-X mod BV.2.pdf
    30.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Potentiometer.zip
    2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
2 Terry

I attempt to trim DC ofset another way (IMO more comfortable) , look at attachments. Here is trimpot P1 added, to trim output DC ofset. Open potentiometer.zip file, put symbol file into LTC lib/sym/.. folder, and library file into LTC lib/sub/.. folder
In schematic are some changes (i hope last..) to improve behavior during clipping and at fast transients (to limit all internal currents to safe levels and avoid saturation under those conditions). Enjoy..But it is not "cook book"!
I have just finished the 2nd modification:eek:
All under control,there isn't any issue ,just a little trim for absolutely zero dc out.
Coming soon with measurements.
Thimios.

CFA-X V1.3 2nd mod by BV

Not beautiful but functional.
+/-50V.
1st picture,jus clip.31V A.C RMS
2nd >> a little after clip.34V A.C RMS.

Attachments

• DSC07869.JPG
    DSC07869.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC07868.JPG
    DSC07868.JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC07867.JPG
    DSC07867.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC07866.JPG
    DSC07866.JPG
    574.8 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC07865.JPG
    DSC07865.JPG
    614.2 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC07857.JPG
    DSC07857.JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC07858.JPG
    DSC07858.JPG
    545 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
As expected

Hi,

IPs hooked to OPS, plays music nicely but my driver heatsink getting hot!

I quess the drivers or bias circuit is oscillating. I need to add the extra caps recommended somewhere.

My drivers are 2sa1837 / 2SC4793. Predrivers are bf471 / BF472. The bias transistors are superfast 2sc3953 that I had in my junkbox.

Would it be beneficial to change predrivers / bias circuit to slower devices?

J

Last edited:
2 Terry

Hi BV, as i can see, 3 resistors and 1 diode must be added for each VAS tran.for this last vers.?

Last edited: