CFA Topology Audio Amplifiers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default CFA Topology Audio Amplifiers

This thread is where we can discuss CFA and compare it to VFA in a friendly and constructive manner.
Old 13th August 2013, 02:52 AM   #2
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Great.... There are some miss-conceptions and significant differences might start with.

-RNM
Old 13th August 2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

A quick summary

CFA: amplifier topology that inherently supports fast rise/fall times and wide bandwidths. Distortion performance with the basic topology incl. EF3 can meet sub 10 ppm levels at 20 kHz. PSRR not as good as VFA topology, requiring additional filtering and regulation especially of the front end buffer/level shifter stage. Considered easy to compensate. Of interest in audio are the wide loop bandwidths, in some cases up to 40 or 50 kHz. Typical upper loop gain in the 60 dB range.

VFA: amplifier topology that in MC guise supports moderate to fast slew rates. LF dominant pole required to ensure unconditional stability. Alternative comp schemes allow slew rates and rise times to match CFA - eg MIC. PSRR performance of the basic topology better than CFA; noise performance considered better in some cases. Distortion performance when using advanced comp techniques and EF3 can achieve low single digit ppm levels (20 kHz). Typical LF OLG in 100dB plus range, dropping at 20 dB/decade such that at 20 kHz, 50 dB of loop gain may be available using standard MC. This figure may be increased using alternative comp schemes like MIC or TMC.

Last edited by Bonsai; 13th August 2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 13th August 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Alternative comp schemes allow slew rates and rise times to match CFA - eg MIC

Typical LF OLG in 100dB plus range, dropping at 20 dB/decade such that at 20 kHz, 50 dB of loop gain may be available using standard MC. This figure may be increased using alternative comp schemes like MIC or TMC.
Actually, MIC, or input inclusive compensation does not allow more major loop gain than ordinary Miller compensation.

Secondly, I suspect, but haven't examined this yet, that the compensation network that is required to make the input inclusive compensation loop stable may worsen PSRR dramatically.

My suspicions are founded in the fact that the similar shunt compensation network required to make the minor loop stable with Jolly-McCharles input cascode inclusive compensation ruins the PSRR.
Old 13th August 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Esperado,
In your summation of how you want the thread to go, you seemed to close the argument on the possibility that the VFA could sound better than the CFA. While I am not saying whether this is true or not, an openminded conversation that begins with a close minded statement seems interesting. I have listened to both the TSSA1.6 from member Sonya and the VSSA that I proto'ed using laterals. I preferred the TSSA over the VSSA. I agree that the amp "sound" extremely fast, with good pace and lots of air. I did not think that either performed as well in terms of tone or overall body in comparison to some Class A VFB amps I have built. I will proto the SSA next to see if it comes closer in this regard. I thought the VSSA would step closer than the TSSA, but it seemed to only give up some of its better capabilities in comparison, without gaining anything in return. This is not to say it is not an excellent amp, as I am just talking about personal taste. Of course we all know that everyone likes different colors, although I believe blue is the best.
Old 13th August 2013, 11:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
This thread is where we can discuss CFA and compare it to VFA in a friendly and constructive manner.
Thanks for opening up this thread, Bonsai. It is a good topic for discussion.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 13th August 2013, 12:02 PM   #7
mcd99uk is offline mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

All we need now are the posts moved from D Self's thread to here.
Old 13th August 2013, 12:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Somehow I suspect if I would put my MF80 VFA project (which had been designed for speed as well, with a fast output stage configuration and is capable of slewing in excess of 200V/us) inside a black box with a label saying "CFA MOSFET AMP", and invited all CFA proponents to listen to it, that the amp would receive universal acclaim.
Old 13th August 2013, 12:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkiwanuka View Post
Actually, MIC, or input inclusive compensation does not allow more major loop gain than ordinary Miller compensation.

Secondly, I suspect, but haven't examined this yet, that the compensation network that is required to make the input inclusive compensation loop stable may worsen PSRR dramatically.

My suspicions are founded in the fact that the similar shunt compensation network required to make the minor loop stable with Jolly-McCharles input cascode inclusive compensation ruins the PSRR.
I believe you are correct in that MIC does not allow greater global loop ULGF than ordinary MC.

MIC does not necessarily destroy PSRR, and in some cases may improve it. Take a look at the MIC implementation in my MOSFET power amplifier with error correction, http://www.cordellaudio.com/papers/MOSFET_Power_Amp.pdf. The MIC loop compensation is accomplished with a differential shunt series R-C across the differential outputs of the IPS. This thus does not compromise PSRR. Moreover, the MIC Cdom is referenced to signal ground on both sides, which eliminates one of the major causes of PSRR degradation in standard MC, namely that one side of Cdom is referenced to the power supply rail while the other side is referenced to signal ground (i.e., the VAS output node).

Cheers,
Bob
Old 13th August 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Carried over

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkiwanuka View Post
There is absolutely no way your amp. can have 80dB of loop gain at 20KHz and be stable. No way at all.
Mine has and more and is 100% stable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1 OLG plot.JPG (91.5 KB, 4677 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!