High voltage (120-180V) output drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Current???

I know that this thread is labled high voltage.

But, I would like to get some feedback on 2N5684/2N5685. Didn't want to make a whole new thread for this. These are something like 80V max, but are quite hefty when it comes to current. This device as I under stand can conduct 50A:att'n: I was wondering what the maximum LINEAR operating current is. I am estimating at or around 9-10A. Does anyone have any data sheets for these devices? (cross referenced to ECG 29 and ECG 30). Beta is around 15-20

Thinking of making a hi power sub amp, Hee Hee.....Thinking class G. :cool:

I use mje243/253 as vas and drivers and they seem to work well and for only $.38. The 100v vce rating is very padded. In my vce tester, which is a 340v (originaly 170v) 25ua supply I recently built to find an unknown transistor's vce, I found that transistors are rated for the worst possible vce. I have a 130v 2n3906 while most were 50 or so.

I have 30 something pairs of mje243/253 and the ones tested were all much above there 100v rating more like 160v.

I don't know exactly what this means but I did use a few controll transistors and found most would go 5 - 10% higher then there rated vce so whatever results I get I just subtract 10%.

The tester is an up down 120v 240v transformer rectified, with a 25ua 2n6517 ccs load.

Cheers

Attachments

• mje243.jpg
    mje243.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 523
Hi all

The BD139/140's are good for up to 100V but not higher.

The best I've used so far for higher rails are the 160V 2SA968/2SC2268. These were Toshiba's originally, but are now supplied by Magnatec, available from RS. Last time I saw RS description still had Toshiba listed as the manufacturer. Must let them know this is wrong!

Magnatec appear to make "close equivalents". From my knowledge of the fab company I would be surprised if they have not done a good job at providing a good match to the Toshiba's. Have not got a Magnatec data sheet, but frequency response is similar to BD139/140 as measured at 1 MHz (this doesn't say much though).

cheers
John

Eva's suggested transistors are very good.

Related the BD139, a very good unit, was used for many years as drivers to Radio Frequency transmitters operating up to 30 Megahertz.

I know about people that have used it to 100 Megahertz FM transmitters too...of course it will loose power in that frequency.

Till 100 Volts it is very good.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.