SX-Amp and NX-Amp

The NX is already a higher gain Power Amplifier than most.
It has 2k7/5 for the upper leg and 15r for the lower leg giving a gain of 37times.
Mosy Power Ampliifirs have a gain between 20times and 30times.
Most domestic set ups have too much gain using that typical amp gain of 20 to 30 times.

Hi Andrew,

How you got the value 37.:confused: if it is 2.7k and 15 R voltage gain is 180 (45 db).Or I am wrong?

joshvi

Last edited:
just a small update from me...

i've got the amp up and running, although i didn't resolve my issue with input dc offset, so i left out the bipolar (input) cap... so far my sources don't have a dc offset so until it's like that, no problem... output dc is in the range of few mv, no any buzz or hum, i'm pretty satisfied with that part, but i'm even more satisfied with the overall impression, the sound is great for me, also plenty of power and reserve for my visatons, just the amp i wanted to build ;)

attached a few pictures, final build is impressive, even the wife is amazed how good it looks, which is not a small achievement in diy projects, i'm sure most will agree :D

btw, i've forseen the remote for the amp (hence the motors installation), but still no time for implementation, also the input cap is still an issue, so it's still not 100% completed, but right now i'm not bothered with any of that, important it's running... and it's running fast :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160419_104302.jpg
    IMG_20160419_104302.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_20160419_111844.jpg
    IMG_20160419_111844.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20160422_185809_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160422_185809_HDR.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG-20160531-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160531-WA0000.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 457
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just to address the gain questions/observations coming up in earlier posts:-

I generally look to provide full output swing with 1V input (0 dBV). The gain of the nx-Amp is 37x so with a little over 1V input, the amplifier output will swing to 40V peak, giving 100W RMS into 8 Ohms which was the design goal.

Same logic applies in the sx-Amp which is powered off +-20 to 22 V rails - 1 volt input or thereabouts gives full output.

Personally I would not get too hung up on this. Currently, commercial amplifier input sensitivities for full output range from about 500 mV to as high as 2V, with ~1 V appearing to be the most popular. In most cases there is plenty of gain in the preamp stages and you can always use your volume control to reduce signal levels.

If you do have very high sensitivity speakers, its probably best to go with the sx-Amp which has a gain of 14.3x. On 98 dB horns, there is no need for the 100 W of the nx-Amp.

:)

Hi, I have collected all parts to construct the SX version including the PCB's from Jims Audio. I hope to use some heat sinks that I already had. To enable me to do this it would beneficial for me to not connect the output devices directly to the PCB but to have them spaced away by 60 to70mm. Would this create any ill effects?
I probably will not be starting building for several months, just trying to get the best design for the parts I have.
Regards
Alan

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Alan, re your sx-Amp build - this should be ok. If you do run into any instability issues, you can add a 4.7 Ohm resistor in the base of each output transistor with the resistor located as close as possible to the transistor.

Of course, it is preferable to mount the amplifier boards as shown in the write-up, but if you cannot get the correct heatsinks then lets try it with the ones you have.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
After numerous hours of playing, I just love this amp! But I have a BIG problem. Before I go and troubleshoot, I would like to hear some possibilities what could be wrong.

Today I powered up the amp and there was smoke. So I janked the plug out, waited for the smoke to clear and opened up the cover. Three of the six resistors(what I can see the left side Zobel) are nicely cooked. They now measure 3Ohm a piece instead of 10. So my guess is that they are well (over) done.

What could trigger this? And why only one side?

Help is appreciated.... I do not dare to power the amp up again.....

Kind regards,
Sjoerd.