Retro Amp 50W Single Supply

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please do not use such a circuit as you will be unpleasantly surprised when the potentiometer becomes scratchy! You can then also omit the 100 µF electrolytic cap and one of the opamps. Less is often more.

Such circuits are only there to be able to use linear instead of logarithmic potentiometers for volume control. Regardless of that (logarithmic potentiometers can be found everywhere) the drawbacks count too much. Suppose a scratchy potentiometer and try to imagine what will happen at the output.

Last edited:
Beycoast asked for the layout for the Thermaltrak version so here it is.

Attachments

• Apex AX6 Thermaltrak iron transfer.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Apex AX6 Thermaltrak components.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 163
  • Apex Thermaltrak AX6.jpg
    Apex Thermaltrak AX6.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 882
Jean-Paul, I have already build it and it is mounted already, the power amp that it is driving has a cap on the input, so no worries about DC trouble. If it does give hassles then I will make another plan !. Almost finished.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_164830.jpg
    IMG_20200704_164830.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_20200704_165037.jpg
    IMG_20200704_165037.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 696
Thank you Sir, I had to use veroboard, my first time:eek:, the toner on my printer was finished and during lockdown a new cartridge was not available.I have build it for a friend for his braai place, you know what happens around a braai, people gets deaf and then the volume is increased.:DLets hope it smokes the pipe !:)
( braai- like barbecue, just much better )

hello x, thanks, we are not doing too bad... under complete lockdown. :eek:

Here are the gerbers for the apex ax-6 single supply amp. yes, i designed it for to-247/264 type output devices. I think i have spare pcbs but no shipping in sight...
the above quoted post gives the schema , pcb, stuffing and bom.

Take care of yourself...
regards
prasi
Hi @Prasi,

It looks like the NC drill file is in 2,5 format which I can't import into my pcb package (Diptrace) so I can make some minor mods. Is there any chance you could do a 2,4 version of the drill file? (I'm not familiar with Eagle, but it looks like the units need to be 1/10000 inch rather than 1/100000 inch)

Thanks,
Neil

Hi @Prasi,

It looks like the NC drill file is in 2,5 format which I can't import into my pcb package (Diptrace) so I can make some minor mods. Is there any chance you could do a 2,4 version of the drill file? (I'm not familiar with Eagle, but it looks like the units need to be 1/10000 inch rather than 1/100000 inch)

Thanks,
Neil
Did it myself with a bit of python hacking to translate the formats to 2,4. (there are some python gerber tools called pcb-tools on github that have some useful functions)

Revised excellon drill file attached incase anyone else has a similar problem. All the gerbers and drill file can be loaded into Diptrace now.

Attachments

• Retro Amp 50W Single Supply_rev1_revised_format.txt
    2 KB · Views: 199
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have one Retro Amp running. Dead quiet and sounds really good in mono. Stereo next and more checks with the scope and play with bias.

Planning a Retro 50 integrated build with a case from the diy store. A 330x230 Dissipante 2u looks about right. Bigger heat sinks this time!

Attachments

• AMP pic.jpg
    AMP pic.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 371

Attachments

• gerbers-APEX LINEAR PRE_2021-02-04.zip
    201.8 KB · Views: 118
  • apex lin pre-sch-2side.png
    apex lin pre-sch-2side.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 407
  • apex lin pre-lay-2side.png
    apex lin pre-lay-2side.png