Best MOSFET for output stages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I always use a driver between the VAS and the MOSFET output transistor gates. Input capacitances of the MOSFETs mean they require current. Those capacitances are nonlinear. I believe in not making the VAS work any harder than it needs to. This is true even if the 15 mA is enough to sufficiently charge the MOSFET input capacitances at maximum voltage slew rate and current slew rate.

Cheers,
Bob

Perfect! thanks for your answer.

Then you think that the gate capacities consume some current and that is why you need to add one more stage in the emitter follower, to relieve the load by that capacitance.

Ok, I made an approximate calculation of the load submitted to the VAS directly, under a frequency of 20Khz. The mosfet I use usually have 500pFx2 of gate capacity, this means that at 20khz the impedance would be about 8Kohms, that would be the load that the VAS would see at that frequency, correct?

Below that frequency there would be a greater impedance ...

With an intermediate step I would gain much more impedance and therefore I would work with less load for the VAS.

Thanks again....

Last edited:
Another question, Mr. Cordell ...

Does the use of an added cascode transistor in the VAS improve current handling capacity for a lower load in the gates of power mosfet?

Or does only the polarization dc current chosen in the VAS matter regardless of whether or not there is a transistor in the cascode?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.