jims audio soft start module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
with this crude kind of softstart I think its the size(value) of power resistor
but Im not sure

but with 7watt resistor, that softstart must be designed for very small power, like preamps
for you a 20watt would be more like it

but my word is not really reliable here

2sec is way too much. that will burn the resistors. 200mS or so is better.
depending on current and resistors ofcourse:)
i like to use NTC bypassed by relè:) that takes the stress out of the relè:)

Here's the first second of a power on sequence with repetitive consistency. Diagram showing AC mains current from turn on moment (2 Ap - first relay switch current) to 0,68 s (3 Ap - second relay switch current). Serial inrush NTC is CL-90 (General Electric) managing to turn on 800 VA (two 400 VA toroids) with 90000 uF of smoothing capacitance. ;)

Attachments

• SSA Inrush AC current.JPG
    SSA Inrush AC current.JPG
    627 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 226
Here's the first second of a power on sequence with repetitive consistency. Diagram showing AC mains current from turn on moment (2 Ap - first relay switch current) to 0,68 s (3 Ap - second relay switch current). Serial inrush NTC is CL-90 (General Electric) managing to turn on 800 VA (two 400 VA toroids) with 90000 uF of smoothing capacitance. ;)

Nice board and beautifully build. Do these available as kit or as module?
quan

Just to update , i swapped out the soft start kit to my other SS amp-500VA/40000uF. There is no smoke and the relay works fine. I gather then the new amp must be putting the kit under stress that it smokes. BTW the aussie amp soft start works perfectly with my new amp so all good. Pity i would like to know why it smokes in the first place.
quan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.