Noble,Alps,TKD ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I wrote that I dont have space for any stepped attenuator. I want to make an upgrade from RK09, Vishay Sfernice and ask if Noble or TKD is step above?
I also see there are 2 THD pots with dirfferent prices. 601 series and 2511 series. Can anyone tell me the difference between them, besides size? I know 2500 series are also different but why 601 is much cheaper? 601 proce is similiar to Noble. Which one is better - older Noble or newer TKD? How do they compare to ALPS RK09 or Vishay Sfernice. I dont want to hear about Khozmo, Shallco etc etc.
Thank you.

Ive got cheap RK09 now. I really have no space for stepped attenuators... I have good PSU, cables and headphone system. I just need potentiometer. SMALL, GOOD.
Dont want to read theory - if anyone "heard" those mentioned in posts and know difference between 600 and 2500 series of TKD I would be thankful.

Ive got cheap RK09 now. I really have no space for stepped attenuators... I have good PSU, cables and headphone system. I just need potentiometer. SMALL, GOOD.
Dont want to read theory - if anyone "heard" those mentioned in posts and know difference between 600 and 2500 series of TKD I would be thankful.

ok, first the TKD are very small and very well made (smaller than alps and Noble) the feeling when you turn it is smoother than Alps and Noble!!! I try the 600 series and sounded better than ALPS and Noble.;)

I use accumulators for powering headamp and its well implemented DIY from my friend who already started commercial path. I think however that pot could be better, especially I hear some little noise by turning it on some levels.
TKD has also stepped version but much more expensive, but is it enough for stepped pot to have 21 clicks?
Of course that pot above is cheap enough to give it a try but have you made straight comparision to TKD or others worth mentioning?
I dont have input resistors I think but not sure.

Jakub

Last edited:
Alps Blue Velvet to cheap attenuators, but I've had a variety of pots made from different materials and various brands and none are close to either of the Chinese stepped attenuators I've had - big one with dale resistors and really cheap surface mounted parts one, the cheap one was best. Comparing expensive pots with attenuators is like trying to find a really expensive candle that is better than an electric light. I wouldn't worry about noises when changing volume, what the sound is like when set and listening that matters.

You might want to look at removing input capacitors on the amp if the source(s) have DC blocking on their output(s), no point in putting the signal through two sets of caps.

21 clicks is not a significant problem and worth the trade off for clearer sound, attenuators simply provide a cleaner signal.

In my experience input and feedback resistors are disproportionately significant, most deisgns have an input resistor or two in either a filter or to make the amp easier to drive. Do you have a circuit diagram or know what the design is?

Not sure what I have, it was from ebay a few months ago, cost £10 inc del and sounded great compared with pots and a bit better than ladder attenuator with dale resistors. I never thought smt resistors would make much of a difference, live and learn.

The quality of that feedback resistor will matter.

OK guys I still hgavent bought anything yet as I have some doubts.
What can you say about Goldpoint stepped attenuator then and comparision to "ordinary" Noble or TKD pots?:

Compare Attenuator Types

Im even more interested in comparing Goldpoint to attenuator from ebay. Exactly this model. Anyone tried? im very curious if build quality of such attenuator is worth money over Noble and TKD and ofc to Goldpoint? Also whats SQ?

10K 24 step Attenuator Potentiometer 0.5% Takman REX25 | eBay

Im interested in that model with Takmans, not other with Dale as there is also different build quality I think.

Yikes! 4 pages of drivel postings re the relative merits of various Pots, many of which are Cheap Crap Clones out of China... unbekmownst to their Fanboys :)
Yet no one gave much notice to the early AKSA post which correctly suggested Gold point Stepped Attenuators.
Then it devolves into Brands of Resistors.
IF you can hear differences betwixt decent quality resistors and the Moron priced ones ..
then you are a true Human Genetic Mutation.. likely deserving to be put on display.
Shamefully many are focused on talking over the next guy, rather than posting information of use.
Gotta love: Open Mouth Forums.

Last edited:
I want to buy tkd 2508 20k but do not know where. As a easier available solution i try to find a variant where would be and other pot give a similar sound result.
And yes, difference in potentiometers are heard and in an inexpensive systems, does not have to be expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.