Noble,Alps,TKD ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TKD

ok guys...I had a 21 stepped potentiometer...yes, the ones on ebay for $12. I had it for a long time in my amp and the other day I noticed small clicks on the audio when I was moving volume without inputs sources connected. it was small, but the noise was there:(. I decided to put back my TKD potentiometer and what a difference:D. I can say for sure that those 21 stepped potentiometers that sell on ebay are good, but not as good as the TKD:D. With the TKD you can "literally" SEE, FEEL and HEAR the difference. My second favorite is the Noble and I would put on third place the alps and the 21 stepped potentiometer that are sold on ebay. I also try one from digi-key(do not remember brand) it looked really good...but again it just looked really good lol. but as soon as I try it...I was really disappointed:( . I am not a reviewer that use fancy words to describe sound, but with simple words I can say that the TKD potentiometers are well worth the money and you will be very satisfied.
Case closed for me!!!!:p

PS: My B&W speakers are singing again....lol

Sounded "fresher", "airier" I felt. Used it in my Audio Note m3 preamp. Noble - TKD - Lightspeed - back to tkd because I could never get it to work properly. Was so picky with balance and usable volume knob span.. It was to short with fairly sensitive speakers and relative high gain amps.... Still for me it sounded better.

Stepped attenuators that use surface mounted resistors are smaller, cheaper and sound and measure better than premium volume pots. I'd go for a cheap attenuator and put the saved money into the PSUs, electronics, cabling or speaker upgrades.

Wait, you think cables make a greater difference to the sound than a pot does? Is this insane or am I missing something? Everything I've seen suggests the pot is almost always the weakest link this side of the transducers. But you also called SMD steppers "cheap." Maybe they were five years ago, I wasn't interested in this stuff back then.

Does a PSU really make any difference if there isn't a problem you're trying to solve? I've never detected my system to sound any different whatsoever as my mains voltage drifts, for example, or as anything else comes through the lines. I don't live in an apartment building though, thankfully. I guess I could try with a medical grade uninterruptable to hear what perfect power does to my system, I just can't imagine there being any difference, let alone so much difference to justify spending $500 on one.

I use TKD in some of my amplifiers since about 10 years back I am very pleased with the result. But, when I read the thread I see that there are those who want to buy "stepped" there is no real "stepped" it is a standard potentiometer with fixed position otherwise.

What I like about TKD is that they are silent, they do not have any background sound, they are equal to resistance to output, long life, so far did not form any oxides on resistor tracks. The first time I used a TKD I was impressed by how quiet it was (601) the music just floated out of the speaker, wow.

Regarding LDR volume, it's a completely different animal, yes I have one too, it has its advantages and is not as bad as many think.

Anders

Regarding LDR volume, it's a completely different animal, yes I have one too, it has its advantages and is not as bad as many think.

Anders

Different in what way? Does an LDR attenuator add a bit of 2nd order harmonic distortion like a transformer does? I read that it did but I don't understand why, so just confirming that or not would be helpful.

I actually think LDR looks like a good option overall, with the Clone Note solving the problems with LDR matching and drift, but I'm concerned about too much 2nd order HD, because coloration like that can make some tracks sound magical, while making others worse in subtle, non-obvious ways. IMO of course but the bottom line is I need something as transparent as possible.

I'm trying to choose between a TKD 2CP-2511 ($99), an LDR attenuator (Clone Note, $180 with SMT parts presoldered), and an AVC or TVC (lots of possibilities, but think $120-180 for something from Sowter, for example. At $200 Bent Audio has a nice looking product as well) but I've never heard any of them, and can't really until I buy one. I think the TKD is the safest choice, but that the other two technologies have much greater potential but also more risk that I wouldn't like it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.