diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2013, 02:20 AM   #731
RINNAV is offline RINNAV  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Maybe I'll manage to fit everything in it if I mount boards on heatsinks the same way as you did. It saves space but if something goes wrong or does not work fine it becomes troublesome. I like to have easy acces to both sides of boards.
I thought about this so I added extra long TP leads. Once testing was complete, I slipped some red lead insulators over them (you can see these on the lower amp board in the above picture) to prevent inadvertent contact. When the boards are in the mounted position, R30 bias adjustment is slightly challenging--it tested just how steady my hands were but never slowed me down! I am a gluten for self inflicted pain.

I was pretty fortunate as the only thing that went wrong is that I had one LED on the PSU soldered backwards...

Jason

Last edited by RINNAV; 21st November 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 21st November 2013, 08:44 AM   #732
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
That's the trick, isn't it? Black from the toroids goes to the barrier box (front of pic), but red go to a totally different place, the soft start board. If space weren't an issue I could mount the ss board near the PEM and all would be good. But that means I'd have the small toroid for the speaker protection near signal wires.

Now, I am using teflon insulated, solid silver signal wires which should greatly reduce noise but I'm not sure how much I should worry.
Something wrong with your description.
Electricity can ONLY flow around a circuit.
That circuit MUST come back to the starting point. It is not a circuit if it does not come back.
The Circuit has a Flow and a Return. EVERY circuit has a Flow and Return.

Your Soft Start Board MUST have a circuit to operate. It MUST have a Flow and Return!!!!!!
Old 21st November 2013, 04:33 PM   #733
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the wiring diagram from the build guide. Red wires from the tranfos go to the softstart, black wires go to the PEM. What I meant was that I can't twist the red and black wires from the transfos together because the softstart board is not close to the PEM. Or am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (33.9 KB, 308 views)
Old 21st November 2013, 06:03 PM   #734
diyAudio Member

Each pair of AC wires should be twisted tightly together - the two (sometimes four) wires from the soft start to the transformer (red), the two wires from the soft start to the switch (green) and the two wires from the PEM to the soft start (orange). Similarly, twist the wires from transformer secondary windings to rectifier board(s) (purple).

You should also twist the DC mains wires from the rectifier(s) to capacitors if separate and capacitor bank to amplifier board including the ground lead.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:10 PM   #735
RINNAV is offline RINNAV  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Here is the wiring diagram from the build guide. Red wires from the tranfos go to the softstart, black wires go to the PEM. What I meant was that I can't twist the red and black wires from the transfos together because the softstart board is not close to the PEM. Or am I missing something?
Do you have dual primaries or single primaries? I used an AnTek 8445 and it has dual primaries (2 black and 2 red). For 120v, I placed (in parallel) both sets (2) of primaries to the Soft Start Board (red together and black together to the SS board). The white and black come from your PEM and connect to your Soft Start board. The ground from your PEM goes to the chassis for the entry ground. I just want to make sure you are wireing for 120v operation correct?
Old 21st November 2013, 09:38 PM   #736
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINNAV View Post
Do you have dual primaries or single primaries? I used an AnTek 8445 and it has dual primaries (2 black and 2 red). For 120v, I placed (in parallel) both sets (2) of primaries to the Soft Start Board (red together and black together to the SS board). The white and black come from your PEM and connect to your Soft Start board. The ground from your PEM goes to the chassis for the entry ground. I just want to make sure you are wireing for 120v operation correct?
I do believe I had it wrong. Here is a diagram of what I intend based on feedback. Yes, two Antek AS4445 tranfos with dual primaries for 120v. Is this diagram correct? (I am not using a secondary switch, just the one on the PEM).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg softstartwiring.jpg (32.8 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by mattmcl; 21st November 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:51 AM   #737
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Every pair of Flow and Return should at least be close coupled, but better is twisted.
That is EVERY pair.

This applies to: mains AC, Low Voltage AC, DC that varies, Signal wiring, etc.

BTW,
I do not recommend two transformer running from the same soft start resistor/thermistor.
I much prefer separate soft start resistor to feed each transformer and then a two contact relay (or two relays) to bypass these resistors.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:34 PM   #738
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

In two of my amps I'm using one soft start unit with two 300VA toroids. Everything works fine but with 800VA trafos I use independent soft start circuits with two separate mains switches.

cheers,
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:56 PM   #739
diyAudio Member

I'm stacking my PSU's on top of each other. I need to raise the top one 60mm. My original thought was to use M3 standoffs, probably several screwed together to do so. I priced them and it's over $50 for a handful of them. I don't have room for a riser panel. Any other ideas? I'm considering threaded rod, which I could cut to length.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:06 PM   #740
diyAudio Member

Spacers & Standoffs | AllElectronics.com You may need to use multiple standoffs, but a heck of a lot cheaper than buying from mcmaster or mouser.

Hide this!Advertise here!