Looking for Schematic of SONY TA-1120F

Sony TA 1120A Restoration

Hello,

I found Sony TA1120A in a pretty bad shape, I downloaded Service Manual and started to work. I cleaned it thoroughly used DEOXIT to clean all the controls, changed all the Electrolytic. Even, changed 2no of 2SD88 with 2N3773 ( It has all 2SD88 and not 2SD45 ) Now I found diode SV-06 missing on protection circuit board. Am I stuck here permanently, fear that the same may not be available. Can there be any alternate / equivalent part?
Also, one transistor on both channels has one high Temperature sensor diode, but there is some dust between Transistor casing & diode, I cleaned it. Now, I have seen it gets hot on playing for 5 minutes testing. Can anyone suggest the proper distance between Transistor & Temperature Cut off Diode or it should be closely Touching each other?
Nevertheless, I found sweet tube like sound from this AMP and think it should be restored...!

Thanks,
Sach D

The 2SD88 is a good transistor (I'd rather have the 2SD88 than the 2SD45). Were some of them bad? If they are all good, I wouldn't have changed them to 2N3773. Transistor and Temperature Cut off Diode... if you are referring to the diode on the small little circuit board that sits on one of the 2SD88 in each channel, then yes they should touch (no need for them to be perfectly up against each other for the entire length of the diode, but the diode should touch the transistor) and there should be thermal grease (or paste) smothering the diode and between the diode and the transistor. As for getting hot in just 5 minutes... did you re-bias the amps when you changed the outputs to the proper bias for the new outputs?

Hello,

Thank You for the advise, the 2SD88 were bad hence I changed. On restoration fully, I am planning to change them back to 2SD88, in search for them @ cheaper rates!! Since 2N3777 are little smaller in size, hence there is more GAP between diode & the transistor, will try to correct it with some metal piece and thermal grease.
Anyway, I am stuck with some other issue, found SV-06 on protection board missing, and 470ohm preset fixed in place by earlier technician. The circuit diagram could give me this idea, was bit of a surprise. Can there be any alternate / equivalent part?

Thanks,
Sach D

Last edited:
SV-06

SV-06 is only a string of 6 silicon diodes in one package.
Six 1N4148 in series is good enough.
In your case, I think of one 3V9 zener (inverted polarity) will do the job.
About service manual for TA-1120A, If you search in Google "TA1120A schematic", you got it in the first 3 results.

Thank You for the advise, will check connecting one 3V9 Zener, have seen them available 1/2 watt online . Any manufacturer / spec you recommend?
Can you please explain "Inverted Polarity", do I have to connect in reverse? I am not champion on repair but can do little here and there with Soldering & Multimeter.
I found Transistor C631, C632, D331 & many of the black Transistors pins have become fragile, do you recommend them to be replaced all.
I read it that this AMP Sony TA1120A can be turned in to great piece, an audiophile category and I am prepared spend more on this gear.
I have downloaded a Service Manual with schematic from HFE before starting the work and replaced all the electrolytic before looking for others.

Thanks Again

Last edited:
Thank You for the advise, will check connecting one 3V9 Zener, have seen them available 1/2 watt online. Any manufacturer / spec you recommend?
Can you please explain "Inverted Polarity", do I have to connect in reverse? I am not champion on repair but can do little here and there with Soldering & Multimeter.
I found Transistor C631, C632, D331 & many of the black Transistors pins have become fragile, do you recommend them to be replaced all.
I read that this AMP Sony TA1120A can be turned in to great piece, an audiophile category and I am prepared spend more time on this gear.
I have downloaded a Service Manual with schematic from HFE before starting the work and replaced all the electrolytic before looking for others.

Thanks Again

Thank You for the advice, will check connecting one 3V9 Zener, have seen them available @ 1/2 watt online. Any manufacturer / spec you recommend?
Can you please explain "Inverted Polarity", do I have to connect in reverse? I am not champion on Electronics repair but can do little here and there with Soldering & Multimeter.
On AMP, I found Transistor C631, C632, D331 & many of the black Transistors pins have become fragile, do you recommend them to be replaced all.
I read it that this AMP Sony TA1120A can be turned in to great piece, an audiophile category and I am prepared spend more time on this gear.

Thanks again,

About service manual for TA-1120A, If you search in Google "TA1120A schematic", you got it in the first 3 results.

Thank You for the advice, will check connecting one 3V9 Zener, have seen them available @ 1/2 watt online. Any manufacturer / spec you recommend?
Can you please explain "Inverted Polarity", do I have to connect in reverse? I am not champion on Electronics repair but can do little here and there with Soldering & Multimeter.
On AMP, I found Transistor C631, C632, D331 & many of the black Transistors pins have become fragile, do you recommend them to be replaced all.
I read it that this AMP Sony TA1120A can be turned in to great piece, an audiophile category and I am prepared spend more time on this gear.

Thanks again,

Thank You, I will connect 3V9 and update.Do I have to replace all C631, C632, D331 & many of the black Transistors for which pins have become fragile, if yes please suggest alternative.
I am not expert on electronics repair but can use Soldering and Testing meter to check and hence seek your advice.

Thank You, I will connect 3V9 and update. Do I have to replace all C631, C632, D331 & many of the black Transistors for which pins have become fragile, if yes please suggest alternative.
I am not expert on electronics repair but can use Soldering and Testing meter to check and hence seek your advice.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like you are getting a little outside your comfort zone with this :)

You should try and get the amplifier operational by replacing only faulty components to begin with. Changing lots of parts introduces lots of room for errors.

Changing old transistors for newer types is something that can cause problems because old devices often have slightly different forward Vbe voltages and that can bring adjustments such as bias current 'out of range'. Although an easy fix to put right, it is something to be aware of.

Also modern transistors are often much faster and this can cause stability problems. Again this can be fixed but it needs detailed understanding and suitable test equipment such an oscilloscope and signal generator.

It sounds like you are getting a little outside your comfort zone with this :)

You should try and get the amplifier operational by replacing only faulty components to begin with. Changing lots of parts introduces lots of room for errors.

Changing old transistors for newer types is something that can cause problems because old devices often have slightly different forward Vbe voltages and that can bring adjustments such as bias current 'out of range'. Although an easy fix to put right, it is something to be aware of.

Also modern transistors are often much faster and this can cause stability problems. Again this can be fixed but it needs detailed understanding and suitable test equipment such an oscilloscope and signal generator.

Thanks, I got it. will look for 2SD88! also will do replacement only if necessary.