The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There we go! We just needed a group hug I think...

It would appear that general opinion agrees with Hochopeper on your choice of beer qusp:

Cascade Pale Ale (Australia)

You're welcome to bring it, but I generally tend to rely on the Americans to make a good IPA. They do a lot of things wrong, but they definitely do IPAs right!

Back on topic:

Has anyone here finished one of these yet? I've been eagerly awaiting some feedback on it, but people seem to be taking their time!

Cheers,
Owen

Has anyone here finished one of these yet? I've been eagerly awaiting some feedback on it, but people seem to be taking their time!

qusp is busting his gut trying to get the gb over the line, transformers should be en route early next week all things going to plan so ... give us a few weeks mate! Trust me I've been nagging the poor guy plenty though! Got 2 rails of the LME49600 here too ... should have seen the look of glee on qusp's face when he saw them all!

I guess those who were keen on building sooner rather than later went for the gb ... the rest of them are holding off and will sell me their pcbs later :D

I'm still trying to decide do I build new speakers or tear down the B&W speakers and bypass the passive crossover...

Last edited:
Though I hope no one judges us Aussies on qusp's choice of drink, seriously Cascade mate?

well actually of the more easily available Boags (lager not pale), but Cascade would be second and then Coopers Dark ale (touch and go between those 2, but the tassie water wins), i just figured noone but Aussies and only some of them would have heard of Boags. I'm not state patriotic when it comes to beer and of the major non microbrew beers the ones from Tassie and SA are the best IMO. the Queensland beers like XXXX/Carlton taste of horse **** due to our craptastic water here and VB isnt much better. Alpha or Dogbolter would probably be my favorite; if I can get it; the Matilda bay guys are onto something, i hate Fosters (Parent company I think) but these guys are making some interesting stuff

Last edited:
There we go! We just needed a group hug I think...

nope hehe, sorry to be a party pooper but admitting what was plainly obvious (I dont know i havent see the post but ive been told lol) doesnt stop it being a pattern that will likely repeat itself, so its easier this way.

It would appear that general opinion agrees with Hochopeper on your choice of beer qusp:

Cascade Pale Ale (Australia)
our local drop gets 3/35 hochopeper haha i cant stand that stuff

You're welcome to bring it, but I generally tend to rely on the Americans to make a good IPA. They do a lot of things wrong, but they definitely do IPAs right!
really? like what? I didnt even think they HAD beer in the USA, soz, we only get stuff like millers here and its too mild/watery for me.

Back on topic:

Cheers,
Owen
still a ways off, but not everyone is in the GB so not sure what happened to them. we are of course still waiting on transformers (finished see below), heatsinks and passives (which will be ordered tonight)

Attachments

• sumR TX 4 LPUHP.jpg
    sumR TX 4 LPUHP.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 417
our local drop gets 3/35 hochopeper haha i cant stand that stuff

I actually conducted thorough scientific research on these matters just last night. The rumours are all true. If I have a choice I do not drink that gear though. Sporting events do not offer a great deal of choice so these things simply must be done.

still a ways off, but not everyone is in the GB so not sure what happened to them. we are of course still waiting on transformers (finished see below), heatsinks and passives (which will be ordered tonight)

Already answered that in quote below, they're waiting to sell the pcbs to me :D

I guess those who were keen on building sooner rather than later went for the gb ... the rest of them are holding off and will sell me their pcbs later :D

Strange , all my Aussie buddies I ski with all have the same preference, whatever is free. Well I have made a few evan they would pay not to drink . My other toy it has been bitting into my audio budget.

Bill

Attachments

• P1020052.JPG
    P1020052.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 426
  • P1020012.JPG
    P1020012.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
haha awesome! so youve made some that you wouldnt drink yourself? what do you do, find a wino in need?

whatever is free? not me i'll drink nothing rather than VB(Victoria Bitter) or XXXX generally, or at least not beer. I love the comments on VB in that review site. this is still probably australias most popular beer ha. almost impossible to avoid

served cold. Like revenge?? Pale gold color. faint hops, lots of metal and harsh finish. DO not let this get warm. Drink cold and fast or suffer
and my favorite
Bottle, served ice cold, as per instruction. Pale in colour and in flavor. Kinda reminisant of that time I had Bear Gryliss momement and drank some camel urine. Faint note of hop bitterness...for the love of god don’t let it get warm!
bold added by me for emphasis, the above reviews are by Aussies too haha

anyway i guess we should stop the beer talk

Last edited:
That is surely a worthy diversion of funds, may even have temporary advantages for your enjoyment of your audio system too. Especially when you get well into the thin end of the diminishing returns that we tend to obsess over on these forums.

qusp has been bugging me to actually take a stand on my preference of beer since I have avoided it so far, photo below answers that :). Since I'm waiting on parts my afternoon activities are locked in ...

There is one thing worse than having to force that local cr4p they call beer down your throat and that is waking up after drinking half your body weight of the stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20120401_151407.jpg
    IMG_20120401_151407.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hochopeper:

Now that's a beer! It's good to know we're on the same page.

I've attached a picture of last night's poison followed by this morning's antidote.

The LCBO (our government owned booze retailer) recently started stocking that beer as part of their "spring" release. It's definitely one Canadians can be very proud of (especially French Canadians, who brew all of Canada's good beer).

Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus

It's a rare beer that scores 100 in both overall and style, and this one certainly deserves the credit.

qusp:

It's funny how the most popular beer in a given country is always one of the worst. Here in Canada it's "Molson Canadian" which is among the worst beers on the planet, and completely shames its namesake.

Molson Canadian

You'll find some equally hilarious reviews on that page.

Another exceedingly popular beer here is "Bud Light Lime" (fortunately not Canadian) which is, so far as I can tell, the single worst beer on the face of the planet. It's also a shameless excuse for full grown men to drink what amounts to a teenage girl's party mixer in the guise of beer.

Bud Light Lime

I had the displeasure of trying it at a cottage party once and was shocked at just how bad it was.

Ahh beer... the one topic worthy of derailing a thread for!

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_7303.JPG
    IMG_7303.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 333
thats a beautiful looking head on that beer opc! looks like the creme' on a latte' i guess that was the idea of the photo taken like that yes? i must try it out sometime, although by the reviews it might be a touch sweet for my liking, but otherwise perfect. whats the damage for a bottle? one of the reviews said 'if only it werent 1100 a bottle'!! wtf? this was exaggeration for effect right?

yep i guess its the same for everything though, popular opinion/taste is generally pretty terrible. just look at the most popular music Gangsta Rap, 'R&B' (or what passes for it these days) and Country. Clothes, Food they even call it junk food movies, books etc etc

I've attached a picture of last night's poison followed by this morning's antidote.
Isn't that is coffee?? :) Double Espresso with a decent crema? Or the 'hair of the dog' as qusp inferred?

Owen do you have you own roaster? These days I find myself generally doing a Ristretto from 12 grams with only about 7 seconds draw. Any longer and bitterness is apparent. I have to use decaf (but still fresh roasted) decent beans as I can't take the caffeine any more and the water comes through them faster, even with a nearly Turkish grind and very hard tamp.

Last edited: