The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier

indeed opc's board house knows their ****

and re the pot, yeah i would think so. i use digital on everything, but seems logical plavcement.

what brand/type you looking at? ok well i suppose i better go and update the GB thread to note that boards are starting to arrive. perhaps we get the components order going, or rather any of the parts that are set and start conversation about other additions like switches, connectors etc.

now about doing up a quick batch PCB board for I/O so board mount can be used dunno if that presents an advantage over panel mount though tbh, just an idea. could include a power relay for on off and momentary driver perhaps?

Last edited:
indeed opc's board house knows their ****

and re the pot, yeah i would think so. i use digital on everything, but seems logical plavcement.

what brand/type you looking at? ok well i suppose i better go and update the GB thread to note that boards are starting to arrive. perhaps we get the components order going, or rather any of the parts that are set and start conversation about other additions like switches, connectors etc.

now about doing up a quick batch PCB board for I/O so board mount can be used dunno if that presents an advantage over panel mount though tbh, just an idea. could include a power relay for on off and momentary driver perhaps?

As far as the pot I am waiting on the hifidino controlled wolfson 8741 group buy, so even this stuck in the mud r2r guy could potentially use digital volume, but just in case I still prefer my old pcm1704 and for others out there I think an alps 10k volume pot option should be integrated.

With the first opamps underneath I don't know that an I/O board mount would be feasible. These are the first PCB's I've bought from OPC, and undoubtedly the best quality GB pcb I've ever seen, first thing it reminds me of is a board from Jocko. But I'm used to GB pcb's where there is at least one unknown stray short to the ground plane, so thats the first thing I check:( Now I really hope that next gb for the d1 pcb's I signed up for goes thru.

I had also had fleeting thoughts about a batch pcb for a 12V relay and on/off indication ... waiting to see how the enclosure situation pans out before I do anything about it though. I was just going to leave i/o as panel mount is there any reason to not panel mount?

As far as the pot I am waiting on the hifidino controlled wolfson 8741 group buy, so even this stuck in the mud r2r guy could potentially use digital volume, but just in case I still prefer my old pcm1704 and for others out there I think an alps 10k volume pot option should be integrated.

With the first opamps underneath I don't know that an I/O board mount would be feasible. These are the first PCB's I've bought from OPC, and undoubtedly the best quality GB pcb I've ever seen, first thing it reminds me of is a board from Jocko. But I'm used to GB pcb's where there is at least one unknown stray short to the ground plane, so thats the first thing I check:( Now I really hope that next gb for the d1 pcb's I signed up for goes thru.

having a pot integrated on the I/O pcb if there is one wouldnt be a bad idea i guess, thing is though that most are using this as a 'poweramp' as part of a digital XO, i reckon a good percentage of us are running this for tweeters, rather than a headphone amp as i suspect you are, so the volume is usually already taken care of by the time it gets here.

digital is ideal, thats how its designed to be used, but you can of course use what you wish. so not sure, i guess we could put that to a vote. once youve used the digi control, particularly one that accesses the dac volume registers directly, i doubt you'll go back.

yep, definitely the highest quality GB PCBs ive got here too. the D1 will happen, just give him some time to recover from this mammoth 'the wire amp/s' effort, just when he thought he was done this popped up

I had also had fleeting thoughts about a batch pcb for a 12V relay and on/off indication ... waiting to see how the enclosure situation pans out before I do anything about it though. I was just going to leave i/o as panel mount is there any reason to not panel mount?

yeah softstart isnt needed, but i think a momentary driver, LED and relay board would be good to widen the possibilities for switches and perhaps remote. forget the I/O PCB it probably limits options more than widening them and presents no real advantage over neatly routed panel mount. a neat little LCD that indicated on, standbye, or off rather than just an LED would be pretty sweet, youde have that covered with arduinio wouldnt you? ive got a crydom SSR in it for you if you do =)

Hi regal,

Where's that duino / 8741 group buy thread? please PM me.

Thanks
Do

yeah softstart isnt needed, but i think a momentary driver, LED and relay board would be good to widen the possibilities for switches and perhaps remote. forget the I/O PCB it probably limits options more than widening them and presents no real advantage over neatly routed panel mount. a neat little LCD that indicated on, standbye, or off rather than just an LED would be pretty sweet, youde have that covered with arduinio wouldnt you? ive got a crydom SSR in it for you if you do =)

For my headphone amp/dac build I had hoped to sneak this in for display rather than a normal LCD ... LED Matrix - Serial Interface - Red/Green/Blue - SparkFun Electronics, that tickle your fancy at all? Blue is just one of the colours it does!

For my lpuhp I was going to just have a on/off status LED for and have on/off controlled by SSR. When I turn off the lights at night I love having a hundred red LEDs staring back at me! I wasn't going to include an arduino in the poweramplifier build(s) though more I think about my on/off sequencing with that damned minidsp the more I want to just bite the bullet and use one in there too.

EDIT: I 2nd pinnocchio's request, PM me too please regal!

Last edited:
i'm guessing this is it

sounds good mate, but i guess it depends on the direction the chassis goes whether we fit that in or if its a really nice clean front panel. i do like the idea of sequencing the whole setup on and off for the full dacs and amps, suppose we could even have a separate small case with LCD and multiple control i2c outputs to sequence the bank of relays on off with status for the individual units. i2c routing isnt all that important i gather so it could be as remote as each person likes; seems to me i2c would neither have much effect on, or be effected by nearby signal or power routing.

would you be up for something like that ULTRATUNE? dac (or minidsp) on first, warm up, then power amps on in standby till settled and finally on.

Last edited:
Regarding the i2c idea, arduinos and especially the compact ones are limited in number of i2c outputs. We'd be better off just making use of the 5V digital outputs to drive the solid state relays directly. In my opinion we'd be far better off making a seperate power sequencing controller box like you suggested rather than squeezing anything more into the LPUHP case. At most I'd be fitting the SSR inside the enclosure. That will keep these amps in a nice neat case; lets keep this baby clean!

Last edited:
Got my boards yesterday. They are smaller than I expected :). They look great though very nice job opc.

Agree with hochopeper regarding keeping the amp chassis clean, at least if we go with the custom chassis. These things are so tiny it would be a shame to clutter it up with a bunch of other stuff, especially since it would be hard to make something that would fit everyone's needs.

did you miss the post above his? =)

yeah ive been gathering they were smaller than the pics appear after checking some of the dimensions of the parts in the bom.

hochopeper: there wouldnt need to be too many outputs for relay switching, just the 2, one for the dacs and one for the amps. i have a box full of SSR's so no shortage there, i like the look of that LCD too. i like the idea of the separate control box the more i think about it, this could even be kept much closer to the listening position and could possibly be turned to the task of dac volume too could it not?

(like your overkill volumite nattonrice, have you got a pic for the guys to post here?) wifi? hehe now i'm getting carried away

Last edited:
hochopeper: there wouldnt need to be too many outputs for relay switching, just the 2, one for the dacs and one for the amps. i have a box full of SSR's so no shortage there, i like the look of that LCD too. i like the idea of the separate control box the more i think about it, this could even be kept much closer to the listening position and could possibly be turned to the task of dac volume too could it not?

(like your overkill volumite nattonrice, have you got a pic for the guys to post here?) wifi? hehe now i'm getting carried away

By limited I mean by default there is only 1 i2c output and you'd be daisy chaining it along and fiddling with addressing in every arduino. I was thinking about a relay in each amplifier, for an active system with multiple dsp/dacs it'll get messy quickly. It'd be far neater and more flexible to just have relay inside each enclosure and a input on back of enclosure. Also means you don't have to power an arduino in every enclosure.

What model are the SSRs that you have? Are they 5VDC or 12VDC input? Fitting that inside the enclosure is more important for this thread than the details of the switching method. If we get relay in there then those less inclined to code an atmel/pic for their specific requirements can use a 555 timer circuit or leave it out entirely.

bcg27 is correct, they have a very wide tolerance. mine are mostly 3-32vdc for the trigger and i have some others more suited for higher voltages. i scored a box full on here for 50 bucks; all pulls from medical prototypes. mostly crydom, but also some magnepan and continental industries. they are 240v @ 25A chassis mounted units, though at these currents here they wouldnt need a heatsink, the larger wire they should though.

agreed if we can just get the relay in there the rest will fall into place, however there should probably be an option for a front mounted switch for those not keen on our plan, or those just running it on its own like regal

Sweet deal! I had a look at some omron SSRs on digikey last night and found most of them had tighter tolerance on the trigger 4 - 6VDC input for the 5V model for example.

I was trying to think up a way to have a manual on/off override control as well as relay controlled power and an isolation switch, if we get a move on with some sort of control pcb/circuit this could be included for maximum flexibility. I've got more ideas than time at the moment though. We're probably a fair way off the topic of the thread though hey?

nope, i think we're right on topic, since the board itself doesnt have these things that were left to the builder, but since we are looking to make some decisions as a group, they need to be discussed. there really isnt a forum that covers control mechanisms specifically, so here is as good a place as any i think.should we also involve temperature sense? suppose that would need more arduinos in each box rather than just thermocouples? is there some sort of hub like a port expansion for i2c? nattonrice?

nope, i think we're right on topic, since the board itself doesnt have these things that were left to the builder, but since we are looking to make some decisions as a group, they need to be discussed. there really isnt a forum that covers control mechanisms specifically, so here is as good a place as any i think.should we also involve temperature sense? suppose that would need more arduinos in each box rather than just thermocouples? is there some sort of hub like a port expansion for i2c? nattonrice?

I haven't used i2c before but my understanding is that it is a bus topology and can be daisy chained provided you get device addressing correct, so its not a simple plug and play architecture to add them all together. For longer distances though I'd be more comfortable with ethernet/rs232 which can both be done with a small amount of extra hardware and an atmel/arduino. I was having daydream in a meeting today thinking about power over ethernet to power my control box since I'm loathe to add yet another power supply inside my cabinet/shelves, but have room for more network gear and network cables running to the stereo already.

I was going to have a single arduino controller box to control with as many trigger outputs as I need. I'm open to suggestions about putting them inside every amp though if we identify a need. Thermocouples he says ... not a bad idea in our climate either perhaps. Probably sense temps on buffers and maybe regulators too? Any other sensors? I even had fleeting thoughts of RFID on/off switch! :D

haha RFID, i have something similar but not as automated in mind for the final setup of the dac, the ackodac allows you to log into it via terminal, so i could conceivably log into my MAC from the iphone, select an input, volume level then a playlist as i'm walking up the driveway