SYMEF amplifier

@pinnocchio

Does the amp generate much heat?

Regards

indeed it does... I have type 1 Symef PCB and for testing purposes I stacked both boards on a HeatsinkUSA 10.080 4" heatsink and it reaches 50+ Celcius... I put in a fan on the back and stays at 30 Celcius. With only one module the heatsink reaches about 35 Celcius at idle. Trust me, those heatsinks are 3/8" thick and fins are 2" long, so yes the amp runs hot even at idle. But on the other side, it sounds quite nice.

My supplied voltage is around 43-44Vdc. Also not that on the type 1 PCB the drivers are on the heatsink.

Ciao!
Do

Last edited:
Hello Mr. OnAudio,
I am new to this thread,some questions, hope you don't mind answering.Can we attach more pairs o f 5200 and 1943 in output , how many,and can to amplifiers be bridged and with which good bridge circuit,i have gone through all pages and downloaded all files, will you be kind enough to post once again final,schematic,top view and copper side,
warm regards

I finally did most of the burn in and decided to hook it up to my DCB1, Wolfson DAC and Astasia speakers. I'm really impressed by the musicality of this amp and the overal tonal balance. Female voice are really well rendered. Lots of breathing room between instrument and the soundstage has a very good width but maybe not as deep as my ML-2 or B24.

I might just go for the new version of the amp and see if there is improvement. Anyone can comment on the newest PCB design (sound signature)?

Thanks
Do

Hello Do,

It confirms my findings too. This has wonderful sonic signature, when I was powering up this amp, I've connected to Bookshelf's I built. Instantly I found this amp sounds different, and is wonderful. BTW what speakers you've tested this amplifier with? Probably SYMEF 2 sounds better than version 1, only PCB routing is different no circuit changes. I have version 2 board as well need to start collecting parts for that.

Thanks,

I finally did most of the burn in and decided to hook it up to my DCB1, Wolfson DAC and Astasia speakers. I'm really impressed by the musicality of this amp and the overal tonal balance. Female voice are really well rendered. Lots of breathing room between instrument and the soundstage has a very good width but maybe not as deep as my ML-2 or B24.

I might just go for the new version of the amp and see if there is improvement. Anyone can comment on the newest PCB design (sound signature)?

Thanks
Do

indeed it does... I have type 1 Symef PCB and for testing purposes I stacked both boards on a HeatsinkUSA 10.080 4" heatsink and it reaches 50+ Celcius... I put in a fan on the back and stays at 30 Celcius. With only one module the heatsink reaches about 35 Celcius at idle. Trust me, those heatsinks are 3/8" thick and fins are 2" long, so yes the amp runs hot even at idle. But on the other side, it sounds quite nice.

My supplied voltage is around 43-44Vdc. Also not that on the type 1 PCB the drivers are on the heatsink.

Ciao!
Do

Am glad you like it. You are listening to one of a few very high end amplifiers on the planet. Short of technology changes (meaning the R&D of better devices ie transistors, resistors etc etc) it may not be possible even then to unsit that amplifier from the crown of audio perfection. Thanks for all you put in in making it work.:cool::D;)

Last edited:
Thanks for joining us. You can use the files that Drowranger posted for PauloPT. Or the ones Drowranger used himself. You can add more pairs.Yes you can bridge. Also check site.;)

Hello Mr. OnAudio,
I am new to this thread,some questions, hope you don't mind answering.Can we attach more pairs o f 5200 and 1943 in output , how many,and can to amplifiers be bridged and with which good bridge circuit,i have gone through all pages and downloaded all files, will you be kind enough to post once again final,schematic,top view and copper side,
warm regards

Hi members,

Looking forward to your pictures, findings and progress.

Peugeot at one time designed the 504 that held the record of the car to own for a long time. Porsche also had the carrera 911 at a higher price tag for those seeking a different kind of meal. Then a new wave of computer simulated exterior and interior designs was born and most cars look the same and drive the same ?.

SYMEF is (supposedly) deceptively simple ? An egg is deceptively simple for a cradle of new life ?

Drive forward this research by posting your findings. Is this an amplifier that will hold the record for the best real life sounding amplifier temporarily or for a longer time or for all time against all technologies current and future ? :D

Last edited:
OnAudio Sir,

Any other suitable value other than 8.2pf? I could not find one with this value in my place.

Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 606
OnAudio Sir,

Any other suitable value other than 8.2pf? I could not find one with this value in my place.

Thank You!

Dear Abetir,

You could work with the following tolerances 1%, 2%, 5%, 10%,15%, 20%, 25% . If choosing a lower value limit is 10%. If choosing a higher value limit is 25%.:)

Let me also take the opportunity of welcoming you to the club of exclusive amplifiers. Thank you for joining us. Nice board, looking forward to your completion and review.;)

kind regards,

Harrison.

Hi Harrison,

Just to say I am meeting my buddy who is going to build up my SMEF's next week.
It all depends on how long it takes him to source all the BOM parts and how busy he is on the run up to Christmas...I would love to have the amps playing before Christmas but maybe January is more realistic.
Cheers
Derek.

Dear Derek,

I hope all is well with you. I have been waiting patiently. I even grew a stub and had to go to the barber but carried my laptop with me :rofl:

kind regards,

Harrison.