"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2011, 01:55 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Very nice numbers! Any measurements of output impedance?
Old 21st September 2011, 02:05 PM   #72
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK OK PLEASE NO MORE!!!

From now on, no more list. Just copy and paste the following with your numbers:

I Want:

"insert number here" - PCB's without part kits.
"insert number here" - Full kits which include the PCB.

Take a look at the list, and post something here if it's incorrect. If it's correct, then don't worry about it!

The list was helpful at the start, but now people just seem to be confused.

Please follow the above request.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 21st September 2011, 02:23 PM   #73
Account disabled at member's request

OK Owen,

Here it comes:

6 - Full kits
Old 21st September 2011, 02:26 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Technical Q&A time:

The Saint:

Very good catch on that! I owe you one. It turns out if you fix a problem twice, you probably didn't fix it.

I had forced a pin swap in the layout to accomodate the lateral fets, then before I posted the schematic I thought "having the wrong pins number is going to confuse people" so I swapped the pins around there. When I forward annotated it put me right back to the old layout for non-lateral fets

Good thing I haven't sent the boards in yet... it's still an easy fix.

Again, good catch!

454Casull:

As qusp mentioned, it really is very easy to solder 0805. It's actually faster and easier than soldering PTH once you get the hang of it. No need for fine tip irons or anything else special, it's just technique.

It makes a huge difference in layout quality and I can assure you that a good 0805 SMD resistor or cap will drastically outperform any PTH part money can buy. They're just physically closer to the ideal and you can't get around that with PTH parts.

Watch a few Youtube videos on the topic, and you'll see how easy it is. I have personally soldered 0201 parts, and I can attest to those being a little more difficult. Our lab techs can do 01005 by hand which is hard to believe considering you can hardly see the parts with the naked eye. 0805 is walk in the park, and if you can do 1206 or 1210 well, then 0805 is no harder. Again, it's all about patience and technique.

kipman725

That would be a nearly ideal setup. You'd get much better performance than Class D, and you'd get very close to the same efficiency. Making a supply that can do that isn't trivial though. If you want to do one, I'm sure there would be several here who would be interested, including myself.

FloridaBear

I haven't measured it yet, but output impedance will be very low due to the exclusion of the emitter resistors and an output filter. I'll measure that too when I get the board finished up in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 21st September 2011, 02:35 PM   #75
Account disabled at member's request

A bit of nitt picking Owen, but in your amp schematic drawing (post #1) the drain and source indication of the output fets is wrong (you draw the fet symbols correctly). I guess amplifier output is at the junction of the sources.
Old 21st September 2011, 03:00 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

I Want:

8 - PCB's without part kits.

Owen: I have a 60v smps I'd like to use (Connexelectronic SMPS800). What's your opinion in this application?
Old 21st September 2011, 03:06 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

I would like to be added for 2 boards
Old 21st September 2011, 03:07 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

OK, I'll take your word for it. Everything else looks fantastic, so I'd like:

2 PCB's with part kits.

Thanks!
Old 21st September 2011, 03:21 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

pieter t:

Not nitpicking at all - that's exactly where my mistake was (and it's a bad one).

I'll be updating the schematic and the layout with the correction this evening.

HYPERTUNE

I wasn't aware that those supplies were available for such a good price! I think that would be a superb solution as it's a ready made supply. All you'd have to do is connect it directly to the amp and you'd be ready to go.

I might order a pair of those just for fun. Although for the ultimate monoblock you'd want the +/-72V 800W version and a separate linear low noise supply for the front end.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 21st September 2011, 03:32 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post

I wasn't aware that those supplies were available for such a good price!
Yes, they are a bargain. I've already tested mine and they are working perfectly. Also Cristi is very helpful when it comes to ordering custom voltages.

You wouldn't consider making a PCB for the front end supply would you?

Hide this!Advertise here!