Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2011, 11:19 AM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer X View Post
I found it a little bit strange.... my simulation show it becomes very unstable
Something is wrong with your sim model or so, because in practice tests I couldn't make it oscilate in any load circumstances. Very stable design, only we have to lower THD a little bit.
Old 7th August 2011, 11:30 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

Default Yes....i am really interested.... i found it very nice dear Lazy Cat

And Hugh have appreciated.... this means a lot for me...if he likes...then it is good.

regards,

Carlos
Old 7th August 2011, 11:34 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Using two series connected diodes instead offers best results. I used 1N4004. Lazy Cat, you want to actually make an IGBT? In my humble opinion, I don't think that making it that complex is worth the effort. You have a good amp here it will satisfy most.

Calos, I think there may be a problem in your diagram. I have not checked the re-captured diagram but I work from Lazy Cat's pencil drawing, re-capturing schematics easily produce errors. This amp overdrives cleanly and symmetrically, I cannot find any fault with Lazy Cats design besides it not using 100 transistors and does not have fractions of a percent distortion.

One must keep in mind, harmonic distortion is not the be-all and end-all of amplifiers. The fact that there is almost zero phase shift over the entire audio band, in fact way up to 100 kHz will make this amp sound pretty realistic regardless of the relatively high odd order artifacts which only alters the character to the extent of maybe sounding a little clinical.

Unless you are a person with perfect pitch (only a small fraction of the world population has) you will find little to complain about. I have not built it yet (and intend to in the next few days) but I can read the merits of well engineered stable amplifier regardless of simplicity.

I think this is a relatively inexpensive amp that will satisfy the tastes of many listeners, a perfect group-build project and I am not shy to say I support this design wholeheartedly. For many it may just be "The Best Amplifier They Ever Heard" regardles of a few very minor short comings.

Nico

Last edited by Nico Ras; 7th August 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 7th August 2011, 12:09 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Lazy Cat, you want to actually make an IGBT? In my humble opinion, I don't think that making it that complex is worth the effort. You have a good amp here it will satisfy most.
IGBT's from Toshiba GT20D101/201 are non complex change if they would make a justified improvement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1534.pdf (194.2 KB, 586 views)
Old 7th August 2011, 12:13 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
I think this is a relatively inexpensive amp that will satisfy the tastes of many listeners, a perfect group-build project and I am not shy to say I support this design wholeheartedly. For many it may just be "The Best Amplifier They Ever Heard" regardles of a few very minor short comings.

Nico
Yes, I agree and will do my best to bring it there.
Old 7th August 2011, 02:12 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Default Yes... distortion is not that important...but for me it became important

because i love people to build my amplifiers... so, i use ideas from others too as i have not born knowing audio electronics..i have learned from others...i do think everybody is this way.

I do have noticed that people trust in THD...when levels are high they do not have interest to build our stuff.... so...i am always searching for circuits and interesting ideas but they must present nice numbers...as i will use this as a lever to produce advertisement and some guys will build my stuff.

My personnal beliefs that distortion does not matter is something people does not accept, or distrust, or prefere to build something that is published with a lot of zeroes in the left...these 0.0009 % THD or even less...they think this is good....so.... they trust...and this is what i need..their confidence to try my amplifiers.

They are other guy's ideas tuned (my amplifiers)....as i have not invented Class A , Class AB, or invented amplifiers nor transistors.... all i know was Klipsch, Self, Slone, Sinclair, Brice, Duncan ,Singmin, Davis, Patronis, Watkinson, Hugh Dean, Karris, Cordell, Pass and many others that helped me a lot and are sources of important information.

So...if distortion is higher than 0.009 % THD... then do not interest me anymore...as i will not succeed to tune it to my own ideas about sonics and to offer it built, tested and tuned..dedicated to DIY community, for them to build... i do think they will not be interested.

I will look forward to see this amplifier progress....maybe i will build to listen it in the future... if not too much complicated.

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 7th August 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 7th August 2011, 03:03 PM   #77
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Simplicity is the final achievement.
After one has played a vast quantity of notes
and more notes,
it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.

/ Fredrik Chopin
Old 7th August 2011, 04:02 PM   #78
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. ~Albert Einstein
Old 7th August 2011, 04:11 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Default God does not play dices

Dice is Dado in my language.

This amplifier looks intersting.

C'a marche!

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg God does not play dices.jpg (20.4 KB, 1975 views)
Old 7th August 2011, 04:45 PM   #80
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer X View Post
Dice is Dado in my language.

This amplifier looks intersting.

C'a marche!

Carlos
The same in Italian.
I my country it is a nickname.
dado