Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2011, 05:43 PM   #511
radio is offline radio  Macedonia
Banned

Hi all!
BRAVOOOO ~ !!!
excellent topic !!
Old 27th August 2011, 06:05 PM   #512
Ruwe is offline Ruwe  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
When you start to power up the unit there are well known current limiting starting procedures (serial rail resistors, bulb lamps, current limited PWS, etc) but always you have to know where is the BIAS trimmer starting position, the schematic gives you an idea, always, and it goes slowly from 0 to let say 100mA per output device. One eye is on scope screen to detect possible oscilation, DC offset, ... it is very straightforward method.
Thanks,
What puzzles me though in your SSA BIGBT Basic circuit is the tempco location. It's not actually directly connected to the gates of the driving IRFs.

I'll change the question : Is more voltage across the tempco giving more DC current in the output transistors (as usually does in most conventional amps), or it's the other way around?
Sorry to bother you again, but I can't understand it clearly in this current feedback circuit.
Old 27th August 2011, 06:13 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Hi A.Wayne. I have settled on the Lateral MOSFET version. It appeared quite early in the posts and Alex did design a very nice board for it.
Old 27th August 2011, 06:57 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Hi Ruwe

Currents inside CFB loop are explained here.

If you have SSA Basic version, BIAS is regulated inside CFB loop with a current bypass element like in a simple trimmer form, as a case from the post #1, or with tempco device to track down the bypass current with temperature (in proportion with quiescent current of the output devices). It is not classical Vbe multiplier to change voltage potential but it has to change CFB bypass current.

In more complex SSA version the VAS quiescent current is constant and classical VAS Vbe multiplier or integrated thermal-track diodes are used.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:07 PM   #515
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Hi A.Wayne. I have settled on the Lateral MOSFET version. It appeared quite early in the posts and Alex did design a very nice board for it.
Just curious , why lateral Mosfets , Sonics..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
You are welcome Ruwe.

Well my track record in BIGBT kill is zero. Two months ago one friend accidentally made full short circuit when connected single speaker cable with 4mm banana from GND to OUT. We heard very loud bang but at the end only one FUSE was replaced. 5% of WBT connector evaporated in the air but all BIGBT's were intact (1xmosfet, 4xNPN, 4xPNP devices, on each rail). The amp has no other current protection than 10A/T fuse.

When you start to power up the unit there are well known current limiting starting procedures (serial rail resistors, bulb lamps, current limited PWS, etc) but always you have to know where is the BIAS trimmer starting position, the schematic gives you an idea, always, and it goes slowly from 0 to let say 100mA per output device. One eye is on scope screen to detect possible oscilation, DC offset, ... it is very straightforward method.
What schematic is this one LC and it's best when amp is only protected by PSU fuse , well for sonics ...
Old 27th August 2011, 08:23 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Hi a.wayne,
Al of my amplifiers of late uses Laterals, they simplify the schematic and they are fast. I have also built the one I described a little later using MJ15001/15002 as output devices, but I could hear no significant difference that would convince me to move away from L-Mosfets.

In fact I do not believe that there would be any significant difference between the IGBT system and mine either. I think that the significance in the apparent clarity and transparency is speed, bandwidth and phase and not harmonic distribution or order. But then that is my subjective observation.

Nico
Old 27th August 2011, 08:33 PM   #517
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Thanks for the response Nico, I had given this a look and was curious to hear your thoughts .

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/wh...oosewisely.pdf
Old 28th August 2011, 06:24 AM   #518
radio is offline radio  Macedonia
Banned

Quote:
Hi a.wayne,
Al of my amplifiers of late uses Laterals, they simplify the schematic and they are fast. I have also built the one I described a little later using MJ15001/15002 as output devices, but I could hear no significant difference that would convince me to move away from L-Mosfets.

In fact I do not believe that there would be any significant difference between the IGBT system and mine either. I think that the significance in the apparent clarity and transparency is speed, bandwidth and phase and not harmonic distribution or order. But then that is my subjective observation.

Nico
Hi Nico Ras!
You can give your schemaic amplifier with MJ15001/MJ15002?!
I make that comparison?
Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 07:54 AM   #519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio View Post
Hi Nico Ras!
You can give your schemaic amplifier with MJ15001/MJ15002?!
I make that comparison?
Thanks
I used the schematic of Lazy Cat in # 183. Used MJE340/350 and MJ15001/15002
Old 28th August 2011, 08:50 AM   #520
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I used the schematic of Lazy Cat in # 183. Used MJE340/350 and MJ15001/15002
Sorry I lied, the drivers are BD139/140

Hide this!Advertise here!