diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2013, 04:40 PM   #961
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
The correct size transformer for a two channel 150W amplifier would be 300VA-600VA. If to be used for 4ohm speakers, 600VA would be the minimum. Since the difference in cost is negligible, at least here in the states, it would be worth bumping this up to 800VA. 1000VA is overkill. If a toroidal transformer is used, a softstart circuit will be mandatory.

42VAC-45VAC is correct.
I agree. The cost of an 800VA over a 600VA is minimal, so I may consider upgrading. I was already planning to include a softstart switch. Just waiting for the PCBs to arrive and the components from Mouser.
Old 8th July 2013, 04:43 PM   #962
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

If anyone is in contact with OSTripper can you please get him to contact me via PM or email (he also has my email address). I have been trying for a long time with no success. Thanks!
Old 9th July 2013, 10:02 PM   #963
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
If anyone is in contact with OSTripper can you please get him to contact me via PM or email (he also has my email address). I have been trying for a long time with no success. Thanks!
He's a sly one. Likes to disappear from time to time. Wonder if he's still reading these posts??
Old 15th July 2013, 05:30 PM   #964
diyAudio Member

I'm comtemplating a pair of HB monblocks to drive a set of Magneplanar SMGa. I'm also looking at class d/t.

Has anyone tried using a smps ? Something like this Connexelectronic in place of 2 x300VA transformers and a brace of psu caps.
Old 16th July 2013, 03:52 AM   #965
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
I'm comtemplating a pair of HB monblocks to drive a set of Magneplanar SMGa. I'm also looking at class d/t.

Has anyone tried using a smps ? Something like this Connexelectronic in place of 2 x300VA transformers and a brace of psu caps.
You can't go wrong with an SMPS PSU from Connexelectronic (Cristi V.). I won't use one for my next build (HB), but I have used several of Cristi's SMPS' and they are quality built units. A little on the higher $ side, but you get what you pay for. I'm presently using the older brother of the 300RE, the 500R. It's rock solid and sounds great with my little class D amp. I do have the 300RE it's just not in service yet. Plan on using it for another lower-powered, IRS2092 based build from Cristi too.

Rick
Old 16th July 2013, 06:04 AM   #966
Wembley is offline Wembley  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm View Post

I'm testing a Connexelectronic SMPS800RE (+/- 60V) PSU with the honey badger. There is a tiny bit of noise evident on sensitive speakers for a few seconds after playing loudly and then cutting the sound. I'm making the assumption that its line noise rather than radiated noise at this point, but I haven't measured to confirm that. I may also add that I've deliberately gone for a larger supply as I'm planning to run 3 channels in a single enclosure and experiment with driving a 3 way active speaker using the three channels. Once I get three driven simultaneously I'll do some more testing as the PSU will have a higher base load.

I'd love to do a side by side test using a linear PSU, but I don't plan to spend that much, and I'm not sure it would be easy to find the space in the enclosure I've chosen. It would be easy with a 2 channel setup, but I want to fit 3 channels and a miniDSP just to complicate things.

The Connexelectronics PSU does seem a good unit, but I may need to investigate filtering if I still get audible levels of noise. Plan B is back to a linear PSU. That said, I'm already well down on the audible noise levels from the previous class T amplifiers I was playing with.
Old 7th August 2013, 04:58 PM   #967
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
I'm testing a Connexelectronic SMPS800RE (+/- 60V) PSU with the honey badger. There is a tiny bit of noise evident on sensitive speakers for a few seconds after playing loudly and then cutting the sound. I'm making the assumption that its line noise rather than radiated noise at this point, but I haven't measured to confirm that. I may also add that I've deliberately gone for a larger supply as I'm planning to run 3 channels in a single enclosure and experiment with driving a 3 way active speaker using the three channels. Once I get three driven simultaneously I'll do some more testing as the PSU will have a higher base load.

I'd love to do a side by side test using a linear PSU, but I don't plan to spend that much, and I'm not sure it would be easy to find the space in the enclosure I've chosen. It would be easy with a 2 channel setup, but I want to fit 3 channels and a miniDSP just to complicate things.

The Connexelectronics PSU does seem a good unit, but I may need to investigate filtering if I still get audible levels of noise. Plan B is back to a linear PSU. That said, I'm already well down on the audible noise levels from the previous class T amplifiers I was playing with.

SMPS800RE looks like a typical car stereo dc/dc switch mode converter. It is more similar to your typical PC power supply in that it switches 160Vdc rectified wall AC into the final DC. Try ferrite chokes at the output rails. On the PC supplies there are the to-220 rectifiers , then the chokes , finally - the capacitors.

Really , a linear supply is recommended, but a SMPS could be optimized with proper design . Connexelectronics modules might not be (fully - {diplomatic} ) optimized for audio. (I said it) , the lack of those ferrites leads me to believe so.

Edit - Almost all the google examples of SMPS show CLC output filters (example below)

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLC-SMPS.jpg (38.0 KB, 434 views)

Last edited by ostripper; 7th August 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 7th August 2013, 05:24 PM   #968
diyAudio Member

The bigger problem might be ground noise rather than rail noise. To fix that you would need chokes on every output of the SMPS.

I made a simple device to fix ground noise issues on my bench. It isolates source and amp ground and removes the ground noise from the signal. The result was a big improvement in sound. I measured 25mV of SMPS nastiness between the two grounds (the source is my computer). Even 5mV of ultrasonic noise can affect an amplifier negatively, especially highly compensated amps.
Old 7th August 2013, 08:54 PM   #969
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
The bigger problem might be ground noise rather than rail noise. To fix that you would need chokes on every output of the SMPS.

I made a simple device to fix ground noise issues on my bench. It isolates source and amp ground and removes the ground noise from the signal. The result was a big improvement in sound. I measured 25mV of SMPS nastiness between the two grounds (the source is my computer). Even 5mV of ultrasonic noise can affect an amplifier negatively, especially highly compensated amps.
Hello , keen. Since many of us use a sound card as a source , please share. I use line filters on my amp and derive my amp's ground from the same AC strip as the PC. This has minimized "nastiness" ... but not eliminated it.

Ultimately , a DAC/optical spdif to the amps would be ideal - but not everyone wants to go that far !

OS
Old 7th August 2013, 09:02 PM   #970
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

This was my first project. Super easy DAC kit that uses a wall wart. Sounds fantastic, markedly better than my M-Audio soundcard.

The γ1 Modular Miniature DAC

Hide this!Advertise here!