Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2011, 06:36 AM   #291
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discrete View Post
Hi OS,

Good to see you back!

I did my own layout to suit components/heat-sinks/case materials on hand - hope you do not mind....
Way to go!
Old 21st September 2011, 09:50 AM   #292
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

nice layout discrete, but, if your power transistors fit under your PCB (I am assuming this), then your emmitter degen resistor solder pads will cause a problem. You need a bit more clearance. If you are using the short version resistors, you will not have this problem.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:17 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
nice layout discrete, but, if your power transistors fit under your PCB (I am assuming this), then your emmitter degen resistor solder pads will cause a problem. You need a bit more clearance. If you are using the short version resistors, you will not have this problem.
Lazy, Bonsai,

Thanks for the feedback!

Re. the solder pads above the power transistors, I was planning to have the board on 1/4" or 3/8" standoffs, so not touching the transistors. 10mm LS radial degen resistors like OS is using would be nice, but I only have 17mm axial on hand.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:55 PM   #294
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Hi OS,

Good to see you back!

I did my own layout to suit components/heat-sinks/case materials on hand - hope you do not mind....

The heat-sinks are 12"x3"x1.5" flat backs, same height as my PCB, so the TO-3P packages end up close to the top/bottom edges of the heat-sink.
Power supply will be 40+40 VDC.

Based on your experience, do you think I will have thermal stability issues due to the placement of the drivers/Q13?
i like this layout better because of its symmetry.....i have 150mm high heatsinks which will accommodate this board better....

any chance to make "more pairs" options?
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:48 AM   #295
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
i like this layout better because of its symmetry.....i have 150mm high heatsinks which will accommodate this board better....

any chance to make "more pairs" options?
3?

Note my board miss a few components (css trimmer, dc offset trimmer, fuse bypass resistors), and is much more limited with regards to component sizes.
It also comes with no guarantees against errors or omissions...

diya_amp 3.png

Last edited by discrete; 22nd September 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:42 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

Default Just a few "tweaks".....

I suppose one can not please everyone. BUT .... for this PCB format , I think the artwork /BOM is flawless.

Below (attached) , I have both the layout,schema and BOM. If these are "right on" (physically) , we can haggle about substitutes and/or sourcing later.

I did take Casull's capacitor recommendations , and re-positioned some components to allow for more space. 99% of the amp remains the same , as this layout still seems to offer the best "universality".

Some call for more outputs ... Crazy !!! 3 pair of NJW/MJL output devices can really "rock the house" ... 150w/8R and at 60v rails , 300w peaks.

If any can find any discrepancies between the 3 items below ......(BOM,schema,PCB) , please inform me. 100's of eyes are far superior to just 2 old ones .

OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif ver.2.2.GIF (73.7 KB, 1132 views)
File Type: gif DIYA_classAB_schematic.gif (131.2 KB, 1135 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt DIYA-AMP_BOM.txt (4.6 KB, 209 views)
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:02 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi OS,

Based on your experience, do you think I will have thermal stability issues due to the placement of the drivers/Q13?
There should be no difference thermally.
OS
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:29 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
I suppose one can not please everyone. BUT .... for this PCB format , I think the artwork /BOM is flawless.

Below (attached) , I have both the layout,schema and BOM. If these are "right on" (physically) , we can haggle about substitutes and/or sourcing later.

I did take Casull's capacitor recommendations , and re-positioned some components to allow for more space. 99% of the amp remains the same , as this layout still seems to offer the best "universality".

Some call for more outputs ... Crazy !!! 3 pair of NJW/MJL output devices can really "rock the house" ... 150w/8R and at 60v rails , 300w peaks.

If any can find any discrepancies between the 3 items below ......(BOM,schema,PCB) , please inform me. 100's of eyes are far superior to just 2 old ones .

OS
You still need to correct the errors in the BOM - see C3/C4 and others... Perhaps you can use my revised BOM as a reference?
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:36 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Can't open a XLS file ?? Win7 standard wordpad/notepad might be a more friendly format.

OS
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:41 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I will convert.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bomcondensed_1.4HL.zip (6.9 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by 454Casull; 22nd September 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!