diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Alex

My 2 cts
As much as I like your layout we need to remember that this amp design is all the way OStripper which has gain the respect of the community refining and designing many amp circuits and the reason for this thread, as far as I understand, was to gather all his knowledge and skills on circuit design and circuit layout to do a DiyAudio amp which will be available as a kit or only PCB on the DiyAudio store.

As you can read, most follower of this thread and of course Mark (Variac) and myself included, want to have the Ostripper basic layout. Problem is that there is no eagle file of the layout artwork, there is only a Gerber file of the last refinement.

Since apparently the last design doesn't conform the DiyAudio "standard" on spacing for the transistors that go on the heatsink we need to redraw all the artwork based on the Gerber file mentioned above to position the power transistors that go to the heatsink at a certain spacing.

If Mark has not send you already the DiyAudio "standard" for the spacing and the Gerber files of the last iteration from Ostripper he will do very soon.

BTW, as someone already mentioned, the artwork must give credit to Ostripper as the designer aside of your own credit.

If there is any doubt please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Tony

...Agree, is surely OStripper's project ,and must remain his, but that remembered gerber files and do not think there ever existed. PCB was designed in Paint. I wrote that I am willing to change, even I did an exact copy in Sprint Layout 5.0 layout. Not know those dimensions DiYAudio standard that you refer, I have not received and I was not contacted about the desired change in the it consists. I remain open as usual to give a helping hand not to confuse people, I think I proved it before.:)
All the best Alex.

Ostripper made quite a good work around his designs , published
them at DIY so anyone can etch his own PCBs and benefit from
his experience , but still , his designs are his intellectual property.

As a side note , copying his work and organizing a group buy for PCBs
without his consent is no honnest road i think.

Overall , it would be better to wait his return and eventually
ask him to provide PCBs as this will allow him to make eventually
a little money which he badly need ,i guess, since he has the charge
alone to educate and take care of his daughter ...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
what ever happened to the evaluation of Ostripper's board design supposedly done by jojod? afaik, it was a sucsess so the next step should have been board fabrication so what happened next?

It was a success in that it ran well, on a lab supply, So yes it works, and no reason to hesitate on that regard. Jojo just got in some big transforemers and is sourcign caps, so we'll have it up and running at full power/bias very soon. But we've already had the report that is sounds very good, so we have no hesitation about moving forward.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alex

My 2 cts
As much as I like your layout we need to remember that this amp design is all the way OStripper which has gain the respect of the community refining and designing many amp circuits and the reason for this thread, as far as I understand, was to gather all his knowledge and skills on circuit design and circuit layout to do a DiyAudio amp which will be available as a kit or only PCB on the DiyAudio store.

As you can read, most follower of this thread and of course Mark (Variac) and myself included, want to have the Ostripper basic layout. Problem is that there is no eagle file of the layout artwork, there is only a Gerber file of the last refinement.

Since apparently the last design doesn't conform the DiyAudio "standard" on spacing for the transistors that go on the heatsink we need to redraw all the artwork based on the Gerber file mentioned above to position the power transistors that go to the heatsink at a certain spacing.

If Mark has not send you already the DiyAudio "standard" for the spacing and the Gerber files of the last iteration from Ostripper he will do very soon.

BTW, as someone already mentioned, the artwork must give credit to Ostripper as the designer aside of your own credit.

If there is any doubt please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Tony

Yes, this sums things up. The layout is a huge part of ostripper's design, and include input from members. We contracted with os to do this project so the IP is his and diyAudio's. The only hole spacing that needs to be made is for mounting the board, not the MOSFET spcing, but we want to check everything to be sure. The Gerber files will go to ALex TODAY with the request to:

1. Check what the actual dimensions of the mounting holes are, including the MOSFET spacing.

2. Compare the circuit with the Eagle file that he has and list any differences.

Alex is willing to do this, and we are very grateful for his help..

Mark

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'll report here with what we find out. Let's stop proposing schemes other than what I've mentioned here, and stop arguing about whether we'll should change the design. We WON'T and its pointless to keep discussing this. The majority want the "real" design, and that's what they'll get.

If we can't resolve this quickly, we'll just send in the Gerber files as they are, and mess with the mounting holes later. Its just a big hassle to have 2 versions of the board floating around out there, so we'd rather do this right. Its taken so long because I kept expecting ostripper to pop up, so now we are quickly doing another approach and it will be moving along quickly.

Yes, this sums things up. The layout is a huge part of ostripper's design, and include input from members. We contracted with os to do this project so the IP is his and diyAudio's. The only hole spacing that needs to be made is for mounting the board, not the MOSFET spcing, but we want to check everything to be sure. The Gerber files will go to ALex TODAY with the request to:

1. Check what the actual dimensions of the mounting holes are, including the MOSFET spacing.

2. Compare the circuit with the Eagle file that he has and list any differences.

Alex is willing to do this, and we are very grateful for his help..

Mark

MOSFET's? Surely you mean the output BJT's?

This looks very appealing for first time amp build - thanks to OStripper for his efforts in starting this, and for Variac and others for keeping the work going.

I worked for Arcam as undergraduate 20 years ago (test and repair of Delta60/90/120 amps)...and this looks an ideal project to recapture some youth ;-)

In prep for the boards availability, can anyone point me in direction of practical chassis/heatsink combination that would suit this project.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just received an e-mail from Alex. He confirmed that the active devices are where they should be and the mounting holes will work fine. We'll be sending it out for boards in the next couple of days, and it should be in the store in 6 weeks about.

Thank you Alex for your helpfulness..

Mark

Last edited:
The F5 is a very nice amp and will work well with most all 8 ohms speakers but is only 25 watts, it drives my 3 ways with 15" woof which is around 89/90 dB/watt but it lacks a bit of authority on a big room, and this is why I'm looking to this Ostripper creation besides being a bjt since all my other solid state amps have been FET.