Shunt regulator for a phono pre - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2003, 05:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shunt regulator for a phono pre

Having lived for a while with a gainclone i decided (maybe naively) that a full solid state system will be cool. Not that i don't like the sound of my valve phono and DHT (PX25) power amp, it's just that the success of the GC gave me hope that a simple but good sounding system is possible with premium quality opamps. So far the results have been encouraging, rather than exilarating, but of course i've always known that a good phono stage is a lot more difficult than a a good power amp.
I started the prototype with the intention to build several different power supply regulators and compare the sonics. Initially it was built with the 'standard' 317/337 combo and the sound was admittedly not too bad, but the usual 'greyness' and 'thickness' of the regulators was unmistakeable. My first 'improvement' was a simple tl431 based shunt fed from a ballast resistor. The midrange cleaned up remarkably but in general the sound became less balanced, with very weak bass. Next the resistor was replaced with a 317 hooked as a current source at 70mA. Each rail of the phono draws around 50mA, so i thought 20mA for the shunt transistor should be enough. The bass came back, but interestingly a lot of the 'greyness' i've learnt to associate with the 317 came back as well. So, maybe a 317 is not a perfect CS after all .
Finally i built the simple CS shown on the diagram: it's based upon a forward diode drop. As anticipated the sound was now really better. If anything, the bass was maybe a tad too soft compared to the 317/337 regulators but everything else more than made up for it. As you can see i use very substantial transistors for both the current source and the shunt element. Initially tried BD139/BD140 but they really didn't sound as good.
So, happy as i am with the result, there is certainly room for improvement. I'll appreciate all comments and suggestions and some time next week will try to compare this to a Jung type regulator.

cheers
peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shuntps.jpg (81.6 KB, 2886 views)
Old 2nd August 2003, 07:02 PM   #2
PGW is offline PGW  United States
diyAudio Member

You are some way ahead of me in your phono amp regulator study.

I had thought of trying the Jung super-reg, probably using ALW's circuit+boards, and then following that with a shunt regulator to see what difference it makes. Interestingly, ALW uses the 317/337 as a pre-regulator for the super-reg, so I am guessing that the "greyness" you hear is cleaned up by the super-reg.

You might clean up your own current source by using a LED or buried-channel zener for the voltage reference at the input.

I downloaded an article on shunt regs a few weeks ago - I don't seem to hav the URL but a google on wenzel and finesse should find the source.

I will be interested to hear how your invetsiagtion progresses.

--John
Old 2nd August 2003, 07:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

John

I started this journey 'backwards' with the simple shunt-reg as i wanted something small, cheap and not prone to oscillations and problems. Mostly because i intend having a set of the regs next to each op-amp/buffer. The Jung solution is not so well suited to the idea of having 2 or 3 per channel. Also i have serious doubts about the preregulators. Having never built a Jung/ALW reg i still have some experience with what Audio Research used to use when the SP10 was the best preamp ever. It is similar to Jung in using an opamp with a series-pass transistor, but it's output is floating and not referenced to a particular voltage, just used to buffer each stage and fed from a preregulator. I never got to like what it did to the sound.
Interestingly Elso Kwak seems to also dislike preregulators, i'll certainy try them, but against clear prejudice.

cheers
peter
Old 4th August 2003, 05:33 AM   #4
Rob F is offline Rob F  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I find that bypassing the "upper" voltage divider R on the
TL 431 with a capacitor improves the sound markedly. Try using
a good quality 0.47uf. Works for me.

Rob.
Old 7th August 2003, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Rob

After reading your post i was annoyed for not having thought of this myself A .47 seems a bit low for a 5k1 resistor so i tried a 3.3uF Wima MKP (admittedly not my favourite). To my surpise the sound did not get any better; to the contrary - it lost dynamics. Weird?

cheers
peter
Old 7th August 2003, 06:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

An interesting and thoughtful post Andy. I used tl431 primarily for the low noise and simplicity. If low noise is not a priority i'll gladly get rid of it although most of the discrete circuits i've seen typically consist of differential amp with/without cs/c mirrors, current amp,shunt element - easily 7-8 transistors per rail, not counting the CCS. Not ideal if you want 4 of these.

cheers
peter
Old 7th August 2003, 06:48 PM   #7
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Default Re: A few thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW
As has been pointed out to me recently, the SPICE model is DC only and hence useless for AC simulation
If you're using LTSpice, a good TL431 model is available in the files section of the Yahoo LTSpice user's group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice. This model includes AC effects. It also solved the convergence problems I was having with the first TL431 model I downloaded from the net, which I believe was provided by TI. I think you need a Yahoo email account to access these groups though. But that's no problem. They are easy to set up.
Old 7th August 2003, 07:32 PM   #8
A 8 is offline A 8  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If you want to use the tl431 why dont you just switch to the ts431 by taiwan semiconductor.
It has lower noise then the tl431 by TI.
I think 48 nV/square hz 10Hz-10mHz compared to 130nV/square hz for the TI TL431.
Old 7th August 2003, 10:50 PM   #9
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you're using LTSpice, a good TL431 model is available in the files section of the Yahoo LTSpice user's group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice. This model includes AC effects

I'll look at that - thanks.

It may be easier to emulate it with discrete's though, using the data sheet topology as a guide.

BTW, if anyone wants a remarkably accurate model of an LM317, take a peek here: -

http://www.aeng.com/pdf/regulator.pdf

http://www.aeng.com/pdf/regulator2.pdf

Andy
Old 7th August 2003, 11:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Congratulations on post #6, Andy.

While my own experience is mostly valve related, the same principles apply.

Good insight,

Hide this!Advertise here!