THD in LTSpice ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lets see if i understood the suggested changes correctly:
7seuE.jpg

LTP is now at about 4mA per leg, THD is 0.0044% No change in phase though, looks the same as before.

And heres the ac source in fb loop as suggested:
dei8t.jpg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Simulation is usually always ideal components in an ideal environment. Stray inductance and stray capacitance are very rarely included in the spice models so i'd expect my amp to be minimum like 1% THD in reality.

It's a bit more complex than that, or so I have heard. There are device models that are far from ideal, in fact they do not work as well as their real world counterpart. This I have seen for myself.
It's quite a leap from .005% to 1%, don't you think? Simulation would be absolutely useless if that was the point spread.

Good job! Looks like you've got it figured out. The higher the open loop gain is the lower the THD. Your plot shows the typical THD response that increase with freq. as the loop gain drops. You can play with Cdom now to try to figure out what the smallest Cdom that still gives you stability is. ( your phase margin of 70 degrees is quite high). You could also experiment with multipole compensation. Other things to look at are clipping recovery and square wave response (will show you slew rate and ringing (also a stability clue)).

It's a bit more complex than that, or so I have heard. There are device models that are far from ideal, in fact they do not work as well as their real world counterpart. This I have seen for myself.
It's quite a leap from .005% to 1%, don't you think? Simulation would be absolutely useless if that was the point spread.

Unless you do something very wrong or drive your amp right to the rails (clipping), I doubt you will ever see 1%. .05-.08% is realistic for a non-beta enhanced design. I had my first creations tested with an HP analyzer. Add 1 small signal transistor (below) and realistically you will only only have .01-.02% or even better (.005%) for real !!
1- $$.03 cent transistor makes a world of difference. :)

OS

Attachments

• BEtranny.gif
    BEtranny.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 201
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Add 1 small signal transistor (below) and realistically you will only only have .01-.02% or even better (.005%) for real !!
1- $$.03 cent transistor makes a world of difference. :)

Hey OS,
I went down that road. Chasing PPM THD on a simulator has lost its shine for me. :)
Hitting .01% or lower is more than enough and if it can be done simply and reliably, I'll take that any day.
Spend the time that I'm not wasting on that making my creations look pretty. :D

PS: Tekko that pic is huge! Maybe scale them down a bit next time?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.