Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

i built a lot of leach super amps on fairly large heat sinks, this my experiences with them...
i installed thermal cut-outs with about 85*C to switch on fans as needed, fins are running vertical...
this was in the mid 80's and now i am more into tubes than SS, but i am build a big one n the coming days...

Hi Ajt
Since you are into tube amp. Tube amp mostly are in the 40 to 50W range ( if that). Can you comment on the need of high power to cover the large transient signal in the program? Ostripper and a few others said they can hear a clear improvement after raising the rail voltage. I have no experience on this at all.

As you can see, I am confused between a large Class A region and sacrificing the peak power vs high peak power with high rail voltage and only have a small Class A region.

I have been on the tube side here before. I decided to go with the SS as my first amp. People on the tube side pretty much said 10W of true class A power is plenty. I have been holding onto this and try to design an amp that was only about 60 to 100W, but having 8 to 10W of pure class A region so in normal listening level, I stay in Class A 99.9% of the time.

What is your opinion? I really like to hear from you that have experience on both sides.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't think this is correct. The ThermalTrack diode is a separate chip, but it is placed on the same collector substrate as the power chip. The thermal impedance between the diode and the power silicon chip is much lower than the thermal impedance between the diode and the heatsink.

You can easily verify this (I did) by pulsing the ThermalTrack power device and measuring the diode response (direct bias voltage). If the power pulses are apart (say) 10 seconds or so, you can see the diode response following, while the heat sink remains pretty much at room temperature all along.

My measurements confirm that ThermalTrack diodes still have a delay in responding to temp changes of a few 100 mS. Long term stability may be good, but transient thermal changes are still there.

See my article in Linear Audio Vol 9.

Jan

Attachments

• jd v9 f7a.pdf
    304 KB · Views: 79
My measurements confirm that ThermalTrack diodes still have a delay in responding to temp changes of a few 100 mS. Long term stability may be good, but transient thermal changes are still there. See my article in Linear Audio Vol 9.
Jan

I was thinking of your article during the discussion.
I think that it has not been queted yet.
Your findings should certainly not be ignored.

Thermal transient variation of power amp quiescent

Instrumentation and findings - Jan Didden

More information from

volumes | Linear Audio --> preview

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan
Does it matter from other than an academic point of view..? transient electrical heating, sensing and adjustment will never track, simply because thermal and electrical mechanisms are so different.

Thermal and electrical mechanisms (conduction, resistance, capacitance etc) are actually very much the same!
The reason that they don't track in this setup is that the time constants are very different.

As my article shows, although the Ibias does vary with output power, the variations are most probably not large enough to have an audible effect (3-6% variation in Ibias).

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is what I mean. once we detect a thermal change, the event is long gone. so sensing is history and can't possibly be used in any control loop.

Sorry Mike, you make the same mistake as people saying feedback can't work because it becomes after the fact.
There is no theoretical reason why it would not work, only the current hardware has too much lag and phase shift. It is EXACTLY like a feedback loop in an amplifier that has too much phase shift or that is asked to operate beyond its bandwidth.

Jan

Sorry Mike, you make the same mistake as people saying feedback can't work because it becomes after the fact.
There is no theoretical reason why it would not work, only the current hardware has too much lag and phase shift. It is EXACTLY like a feedback loop in an amplifier that has too much phase shift or that is asked to operate beyond its bandwidth.

Jan

Is it dead time or phase shift? Is heat conduction constant velocity or variable depending on the gradient?

Last edited:
I saw that too, I decide not to follow because the lead of the transistor is at least 3/8 to 1/2" long, being good heat conductor, it will loose heat along the lead length and temperature drop along the lead. That's the reason I went with bolting on top in my design.
Glue the To92, or sot23, temp sensor to the Collector/Drain lead where it exits the output package.
TT is faster. Sanken's version will also be faster.
D.Self,
could you do the thermal estimation for a TT similar to the model you have written up in your books/papers?

................ I already paid $280 for the chassis, the heat sink is 12" X 5.75" X 2" already. From people that know the chassis here, it can only keep up with 70W static dissipation max. ................... I might even have the wrong transformer. I bought the 30-30 625VA to get 40V .............
your chassis and transformer are perfect for a very good ClassAB 4ohms capable amplifier.

Just adjust the bias current, using your Oliver criteria, to match the dissipation capability of the sink/s.

5pr biased to 22mVre (100mA bias/pr through 0r22) takes account of some "hidden" internal resistances to give you a dissipation of 10*40V*0.1A + (drivers & predrivers) of around 44W
Assuming the sink has Rth s-a of 0.4C/W, 0.4*44*(DF=1.4) gives a deltaT s-a of around 25Cdegrees. With a Ta=30°C you end up @ Ts~55°C and Tc~60°C which requires the outputs to be derated to ~70% of their cold rating. Even a Tc=70°C (when listening very loud) gives a DF= 0.64
Not a concern since you have a 5pr output stage for a 150W into 4ohms amplifier.

I strongly suggest you build a very current capable PSU to feed the 4ohms speakers.
I suggest around +-40mF for each channel, 50V 15mF, 3 to each rail, which for a stereo amp comes to 180mF.

Last edited:
how big a problem is current hogging really?
frankly, i never had one in my amplifier builds.
I have reported this in the past.
It happened on a Roender (BJT) and on a Sugden (LFET), both with closely matched components.

The LFET in the Sugden cannot be due to hFE or stopper resistance. It was due to a small Vgs difference. The same happens in a BJT where a small Vbe difference will also create the conditions to start hogging.

Last edited:
Hi Ajt
Since you are into tube amp. Tube amp mostly are in the 40 to 50W range ( if that). Can you comment on the need of high power to cover the large transient signal in the program? Ostripper and a few others said they can hear a clear improvement after raising the rail voltage. I have no experience on this at all.

As you can see, I am confused between a large Class A region and sacrificing the peak power vs high peak power with high rail voltage and only have a small Class A region.

I have been on the tube side here before. I decided to go with the SS as my first amp. People on the tube side pretty much said 10W of true class A power is plenty. I have been holding onto this and try to design an amp that was only about 60 to 100W, but having 8 to 10W of pure class A region so in normal listening level, I stay in Class A 99.9% of the time.

What is your opinion? I really like to hear from you that have experience on both sides.

the Leach super amps 250wpc, are effortless when it comes to transients and bass slam....
but then my speakers then are not what you will typically use in a tube amp.....
to compare on the same set of speakers i am building a higher powered tube amp...

Every function whether it is chemical, electrical or even mental has a time component to it. The real question you need to ask is if the time factor is enough to cause a problem or if the margin is great enough to allow for these delays without causing a problem or changing the expected end result.

Every function whether it is chemical, electrical or even mental has a time component to it. The real question you need to ask is if the time factor is enough to cause a problem or if the margin is great enough to allow for these delays without causing a problem or changing the expected end result.

I beg to differ. Having the trajectory f(X1, X2,...,Xn, t) in the phase space time dependent is one thing. Having a delay (specifically modelled as f(X1,...Xn)*exp(-Ts), with the trajectory a spiral, perhaps (and ideally) converging to a limit trajectory) is a very particular case, with specific implications. I don't think there's any doubt that in the application under discussion, the delay plays a very significant role.

From a control theory perspective, the thermal runaway because of a long delay in sensing the temperature is a clear case of an unstable feedback loop. Current hogging maps to what are called "local instabilities", or local cusp points in the phase space. The destructive effect of current hogging (actually destroying the entire plant) is not something that the control theory is really concerned with. Unfortunately, identifying the "thermal" plant is usually very difficult, so we have to rely on recipes, rules of thumb, experience and common sense. In a nutshell, what is called "good engineering practices". It is usually much less expensive to slightly over specify the thermal system, than spending so much time simulating and approximating the system thermal response. For military and space applications, system thermal CAD is almost always the name of the game.

Last edited:
Waly,
I agree with what you are saying, and at the same time I don't think that counters what I was saying. As long as you take the time constants into consideration you would do just what you are saying. As in any engineering we usually deal with SOA or margins that often are much higher than absolutely necessary but that is just expedient and many times a cover your behind approach to engineering.