Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

I used your tip, output transistors and drives the same heatsink, Predrives are in board with its own VBE multiplier.
Without compensation VBE in Predrives error is 20% for 10°C, with compensation error is of only 5% for 10°C which is reasonable for a simple circuit VBE multiplier.

Circuit VBE multiplier and simulation are attached, Thanks for the help.

In his book has several circuits VBE multiplier, but from what I've seen, none of them you write for use with 2 VBE sensor.

How did you get the 2N5551 thermally contacted to the pre-driver? I would use TO126 Vbe multiplier and TO126 predriver mounted together.

I'll have to sdd the 2 VBE sensor variation to the book.

Cheers,
Bob

Why?

Best wishes
David

Hi David,

If the trimmer is done in an optimal way, where only the smallest current necessary is passed through the pot wiper to give the trimmer adequate authority, then I guess the only advantage might be that the pot used on the current mirror emitter resistor circuit has very little signal on its pins - the whole pot is largely at an AC ground. When used in the tail of an LTP, the entire pot has the common mode signal on it, which is essentially the input signal in a conventional amplifier design.

I would avoid having to use such a trimmer in either location.

Cheers,
Bob

How did you get the 2N5551 thermally contacted to the pre-driver? I would use TO126 Vbe multiplier and TO126 predriver mounted together.

I use TO-92 in Predriver (thermal coupling TO-92/TO-92), also do this in the current mirror.

The only ones TO-126 that I would use would 2SA1381/KSA1381, but they are not available to me here. My second option would be to use MJE243/253, but the datasheet reports a difference in gain +- 120% NPN for PNP, in my case, I found best TO-92.

There is no real problem with mounting the predrivers, drivers and output transistors all on the main heat sink, but it may get a bit crowded. I think that a key objective is that the predrivers and drivers be isothermal with the portion of the bias spreader that is for them.

Predrivers and drives or only drives even heatsink in the output transistors, if you use ThermalTrak, diode sensor compensate at the same temperature as the internal transistor, Predrivers/drives or drives, give error in compensation due the different temperature mounted even heatsink output TRs.
Now understand why chose to ride on separate heatsink for Predrivers and drives.

In the two-transistor current source that you call a "negative feedback current source", the series derived feedback signal is amplified by the sensing transistor before being shunt applied to the current source transistor's base.

This amplification of the derived feedback signal greatly increases the output impedance of the current source, so much so that there is no need to use a cascode current source in its place.

Yes but current will be highly temp dependent compared
to the zener referenced current source.

MOSFET models

Bob, in section 11.9 of your book, you recommend the EKV models when simulating THD in MOSFET power amps.

Are your EKV models publicly available?

I note the models in Cordell-models.txt for

* 2SK1530 2SJ201
* IRFP240 IRFP9240
* 2SK134 2SJ49
* 2SK1056 2SJ162

are marked VDMOS

I use TO-92 in Predriver (thermal coupling TO-92/TO-92), also do this in the current mirror.

The only ones TO-126 that I would use would 2SA1381/KSA1381, but they are not available to me here. My second option would be to use MJE243/253, but the datasheet reports a difference in gain +- 120% NPN for PNP, in my case, I found best TO-92.

Predrivers and drives or only drives even heatsink in the output transistors, if you use ThermalTrak, diode sensor compensate at the same temperature as the internal transistor, Predrivers/drives or drives, give error in compensation due the different temperature mounted even heatsink output TRs.
Now understand why chose to ride on separate heatsink for Predrivers and drives.

Hi Rafael,

TO-92 devices are OK for VAS and predriver in smaller amplifiers, but in general it is better to use good TO-126 devices for these locations. The 1381/3503 are great devices, I agree.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, in section 11.9 of your book, you recommend the EKV models when simulating THD in MOSFET power amps.

Are your EKV models publicly available?

I note the models in Cordell-models.txt for

* 2SK1530 2SJ201
* IRFP240 IRFP9240
* 2SK134 2SJ49
* 2SK1056 2SJ162

are marked VDMOS

Hi kgrlee,

The EKV models have not been put up on the website, but only because I didn't get to it. I had intended to put them up, but got distracted and that was awhile back (well more than a year). I'll have to go back and see what I've got. I think I did EKVs for all of those devices you listed.

Cheers,
Bob

Self's data (5th edition p 81) shows small distortion increase even with 0.5% imbalance and and he comments 2nd well above 3rd even with 2%.
Have you incorrectly recalled 0.5% as 5% perhaps?

Best wishes
David

Hi David,

I wonder if Self's assertion of that high a sensitivity to LTP imbalance is right. It should be something that is easy to sim...

Cheers,
Bob

Yes but current will be highly temp dependent compared
to the zener referenced current source.

Completely untrue. A 10V zener, for instance, has a positive temp. co. of about 6mV/deg. celsius while a BJT has a negative temp. co. of base-emitter voltage of only 2mV/deg. celsius. So the BJT has a more stable voltage with temp. than a zener diode, unless you use a temp. compensated zener diode.

Last edited:
Completely untrue. A 10V zener, for instance, has a positive temp. co. of about 6mV/deg. celsius while a BJT has a negative temp. co. of base-emitter voltage of only 2mV/deg. celsius. So the BJT has a more stable voltage with temp. than a zener diode, unless you use a temp. compensated zener diode.

For the BJT thermal variation is 100 x 0.002/0.65 = 0.307%/°C
while for the zener it will be 100 x 0.006/10 = 0.06%/°C ,
keeping in mind that the CS current is about linearly dependent
of theses temperature variations the zener referenced CCS
stability can be improved when using a 5.6-6.3V zener.

Capacitor distortion

Originally Posted by Bob Cordell

The use of an electrolytic cap in the feedback network is undesirable, but I showed in my book that if a non-polar electrolytic with a voltage rating of, say 100V is used, as used in loudspeaker crossovers, their distortion contribution is almost unmeasurable.

Hi, as i'm sure you're aware ;) lots of non polar Caps made for Xovers are actually back to back electrolytics in a single case, especially high value uf.

Do you consider such Caps as distortion creators too, or just DC unbiased single electrolytics ?

Bateman, in his "Capacitor Sound" series, claims you can get bi/non polar electros with full oxide thickness grown on both foils - and that they measure better on distortion

"back-to-back" construction would have one pair of foils with only the spontaneous oxide layer which is thin so that it sees large V/m - leading to greater measured distortion

even adding a polarizing V to the midpoint doesn't reduce the thin layer's contribution to distortion to the same level as full thickness oxide grown on all foils

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/AEappGUIDE.pdf suggests forming is an external operation - before slitting, winding

Foil is etched and formed in jumbo rolls of 40 to 50 cm wide and then slit into various widths according to the lengths of the final capacitors.

In non-polar aluminum electrolytic capacitors and motor-start aluminum electrolytic capacitors a second anode foil substitutes for the cathode foil to achieve a non-polar capacitor in a single case.

Last edited:
Hi, as i'm sure you're aware ;) lots of non polar Caps made for Xovers are actually back to back electrolytics in a single case, especially high value uf.

Do you consider such Caps as distortion creators too, or just DC unbiased single electrolytics ?

All capacitors generate some distortion. The amount depends on the voltage across the cap. If this voltage can be reduce by clever design then the distortion contribution can be made insignificant. You do need to know the distortion level of the cap first and that you can measure by putting a large voltage across the cap say +20dB with or with out dc bias. Reduce the voltage in steps and log the distortion. Then you know what you're working with. Yes it matters in speaker crossovers too but the best low distortion caps in the values required would become the dominate cost of the system.

For the BJT thermal variation is 100 x 0.002/0.65 = 0.307%/°C
while for the zener it will be 100 x 0.006/10 = 0.06%/°C ,
keeping in mind that the CS current is about linearly dependent
of theses temperature variations the zener referenced CCS
stability can be improved when using a 5.6-6.3V zener.

Be that as it may a variation of 0.3%/ deg. C is insignificant especially when you consider that the output impedance of the amplified negative feedback current source is at least an order of magnitude greater than that of a zener diode biased current source.