Rod Elliot P.68 Phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Having read numerous posts on the forum I have come to learn the importance of linear phase response and would like to take the audiophile route through my system.

I recently realised upon testing with a scope my cheapish subwoofer amplifier has very poor phase response deviating to almost 90 degrees at 120hz even if dc coupled. I found the capacitors which cause the problems but they are required for the amps stability and as the amp has had numerous faults and is running on virtually 0 bias current, I was looking into Rod's design substituting the MJ transistors with 2sc's.

I have emailed Rod but received no reply, could anyone advise from the design if it has a reasonably linear phase response with minimal deviation from 0 degrees (if anyone is able to deduce such information)?

Thanks

300/500W Subwoofer Power Amplifier

Attachments

• p68-f1.gif
    p68-f1.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 717
Hi all,

Having read numerous posts on the forum I have come to learn the importance of linear phase response and would like to take the audiophile route through my system.

I recently realised upon testing with a scope my cheapish subwoofer amplifier has very poor phase response deviating to almost 90 degrees at 120hz even if dc coupled.

Your subwoofer amplifier must have a crossover, the phase shift is normal.

Hi,
the input high pass filter 4u7F & {2k2+22k} is sufficiently low to allow all your bass and sub-bass signals to pass and yet still block DC and ultra low frequency.

The high pass built into the Negative FeedBack route cuts off a little higher. This should be lower than the input filter, change C4 to 180uF or 220uF.
Similarly C5 could usefully be a bit bigger, maybe 150uF.

Thanks for the advice with Rods design, from what people have said I gather Rods design will definitely have a linear phase response for atlest the lower frequency band (all "bass")?

My latest post was just to show the current manufactured design as Richie said it may be faulty - if the phase shift problem could be fixed I may put off building rods design for a while, ie if anyone can spot a flaw causing the phase shift in the original design that would be great I was resigned to having to totally make a new amp.

Thanks alot

I measured the phase shift just by connecting different scope channels to the IN and OUT. The shift was easy to see.

Thanks wahab, I assume those modifications are to help keep phase deviation down if I were to build the new amp?

Yes, it will reduce the phase shift to almost zero in the
low side of the audio band and settle the 1/f frequency
corner.

Increasing even more these caps value would be counter
productive in respect of the latter caracteristic mentionned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.