Based on Hugh Dean's AKSA 55 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2010, 06:59 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Even if Hugh reveals the original AKSA schematic. It is always the parts he selected that plays a major role in the well known excellent performance of AKSA, not to forget the layout as well. Hugh will not be able to reveal the schematic to public, we all know that. Greg is trying to create the Child of AKSA, and I hope he succeeds, it is important for the forum that Greg succeeds, at least we will have something that we can call, pla pla pla AKSA for the DIYers. We all know Greg's version will not as good as the original AKSA, still this doesn't mean it is going to be bad, it might surpass many existing amplifiers in this forum, and this is a good thing.

I don't know if Greg is going to emphasize on components selection to the extent Hugh did, and the amplifier layout or even try to be as close to the original AKSA layout, I don't know if this is possible, but there are constraints that can't be discussed in public, it is always better to leave them to Hugh and Greg to discuss in private when it comes to what has to be put in the schematic, what selections of components to be adapted and the layout hints that Hugh will allow Greg to put in his PCB on the forum.

Omar

Last edited by metal; 15th June 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:31 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default I would like NOT to see Hugh secrets in public...as he made enormous efforts

to keep these secrets, even selecting the ones he sell amplifiers....people that has Aksa kits, or aksa amplifiers, knows cannot show board in close up...cannot let people borrow as they can inspect and copy, cannot give or show schematic, cannot even keep schematic inside the hard drive..this is a gentleman agreement...and as you could see...we are all gentlemen..no one failed to protect this.

Even when Hugh changed policy, his politics about Kits or assembled amplifiers..not selling board for kits anymore, what made me not happy about his decision..even this way.... we keept his secrets.

I do not think Greg will help or stimulate non decent things, as he is a decent man... and also he is Hugh's friend.... this is not his intention..he is just playing with boards the way he likes.... an exercise using Eagle.

I have my own forum, and there, this conversation is forbiden... we do not talk about Aksa there....i do not even answer when someone ask some details.

Dx amplifier and more 9 amplifiers in this forum where inspired in the Aksa 55, into this same schematic Greg is using...and no one could make it so good as Hugh did...without use the subcircuits, all them...and together...no way.

The most interesting thing is that, reading forum, since 2004, you will see that hugh has explained all his features, and people was so arrogant that have not even perceived.... because i had the amplifier
i could see he gave, his tips and tricks, in small portions...some of them already used here or there...but never all them together.

I have not used any of his features, from that "nude" amplifier i have developed mine listening, tweaking and listening..and if one of mine tweaks that result fine was alike Hugh did..then i give up to use.

My currents are different, the long tail is feeded in a different way, also the VAS current and many things..also i do not use diodes in the rails...and other subcircuits and parts Hugh uses i am not using..this was an effort to respect his job.

In my point of view, i have made the best possible (my own ears and subjective opinion) without the use of Hugh tips and tricks, subcircuits and parts... i do not even use power emitter resistances and output coil..also i reduce the power on thump and increase a lot the bass level and presence.

It is a good exercise..but seems we are marching in the same place, as so many guys have explored this circuit, and if you join all them, putting them together in a cooperative way, including features from all them together..even this way, will not match Hugh Aksa 55.

Threads to explore modifications, or to call, invite or stimulate folks to make it better..for sure will not succeed....because we have "that" feeling that is decent to protect and honor our good designers, our important members, the creative ones that, at the end, work for our communitty producing excelent audio amplifiers...the ones have Hugh units, respect them and knows they have an excelent piece of audio equipment.

The result of his ideas published will be chinese non authorized kits...and really... i would not feel good to have one of that, because it is a piece of stollen thing...not even fair to the ones have paid decent ammount of money for Aksa boards, kits or assembled amplifiers.

If we let this happens, we gonna create the exception that may become a rule..and no one will be respected anymore and the whole thing will turn into a mess..without lack of respect and decense.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 15th June 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 16th June 2010, 05:01 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Well said, DX

Greg, for curiosity, what are you using for a power supply and how do you plan to test all 3 amps. Would you use the same supply - voltage, etc. and just rotary switch the outputs or inputs or whatever?

Last edited by Ian Finch; 16th June 2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: out of date
Old 16th June 2010, 07:04 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Well said, DX

Greg, for curiosity, what are you using for a power supply and how do you plan to test all 3 amps. Would you use the same supply - voltage, etc. and just rotary switch the outputs or inputs or whatever?
Hi Ian,

As it would happen, I'm using my first AKSA PSU. Nothing fancy, some nice diodes and 4700uF per 35V rail. I have my own PSU PCBs 80% designed but not manufactured yet.

At the moment, I am using spades (fastons) so it is easy to disconnect/reconnect each amp. I was thinking about relays and a switch on the front panel or remote control. There will be 6 amps in 2 boxes, so automatic switching would be good for ABC testing.

The only problem with switches or relays is you are adding stuff to the audio chain so you are adding more variables to the equation.

regards

Last edited by Greg Erskine; 16th June 2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:09 AM   #25
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
Peter, would the KZ's work as well as the FG's in the non-bootstrap locations. I would work out a little cheaper for quantity discounts if I got one type.

regards
The KZ cap is supposed to be better than the FG and I think is the premium Nichicon Muse cap. It should perform well in the other locations as well. If you find a supplier of the KZ let us know as mine no longer sells them.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:32 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
The KZ cap is supposed to be better than the FG and I think is the premium Nichicon Muse cap. It should perform well in the other locations as well. If you find a supplier of the KZ let us know as mine no longer sells them.
I was looking at Michael Percy Audio catalogue, it is the March issue. I haven't actually asked if they are in stock.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:05 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE= I was thinking about relays and a switch on the front panel or remote control.
[/QUOTE]
Remote control? Nah, a long stick with soft HD foam wrap to grip the control. Settle back, relax, twiddle. It sounds a bit like design, build...etc.

Double, single or venetian blind tests are to rattle the competition, not become a financial burden to humble, honest designers IMO.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 16th June 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:48 AM   #28
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
If i were to design a +50kn high speed vessel i'd have to choose the hull type (topology), the type of propulsion and materials used (parts), and tweak the hull geometry with model tank testing (layout).
Each of those components has an equal share in the final outcome.
Even the best commercial grade steel is useless compared to sealium alloy or carbon/aramid fiber composites.
Even the lowest kg/kW modern diesel engine is inferior compared to a 0.2kg/kW Vericor marine gas turbine.
Next parts step, above 30 knots speed nothing outperforms efficiency numbers of water jet propulsion systems.
The chosen hull topology often inherently determines the choice of parts.

Picking good quality general commercial parts may get you to the finish line more cost efficiently, but you will not have pole position and not finish first either.
Dismissing any part that is not generic commercial grade by labelling it as "boutique" is the equivalent to deciding not to compete for the design performance target from the onset.
About as pointless as the opposite approach : hoping to finish 1st with unsubstantiated, no one does voodoo like you do, boutique parlor items solely.
you seem to be up with your boats, whose going to win the next americas cup?
Old 16th June 2010, 09:51 AM   #29
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Hugh, I know its subjective, I just wanted your opinion, I think its valued on this forum.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:51 AM   #30
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Luke,

It's a pleasure, got lots of opinions like most people.....
However, anyone perceived to be below your ability is fair game. Witness the tech wars of yore when a couple of the world's rudest people left the forum.

Jacco,

The reason reciprocating engines are still used on ships is not because of weight, it's efficiency. How many turbines boast 45-50% thermodynamic efficiency? But you knew this anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!