I guess diy wasn't for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mistake during the construction.... inverted supply wires...inverted transistors

and them this may happens....i have never experienced that with a Dx amplifier, means to me a big mistake was done.

Errors are human property..we do mistakes, many times a day... the ones say does not make a mistake.... have done the mistake to think he is not human.

Good idea to send to Greg...he is the ones designed the board..he is the one know electronics to fix that..also he asked that, because he has curiosity to see what people did with his lovely board layout.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx amplifier.jpg
    Dx amplifier.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 518
At least the "fuse" was properly protected by the more expensive componants arond it.

Judging from the flame out, you'll find very high resistance between the high side and the ground other then the damaged resistor at the time, essentually turning the resistor into a fuse.

I think if you just run a straight wire in place of the burnt componant you will achieve your objective and properly blow out the fuse as was originally intended.

What?!

Don't give up

I think that all this advice is really great, and also fun to read. Personally, I have no problem with wood, metal, speakers, etc. But, I cannot force myself to actually attempt the simple upgrade of the capacitors in my ARC tube amps. And, I even have a free Variac laying on my bench given to me by an understanding soul.

It is heartening to read of the willingness to help another person cope with their mistakes.

Keep on!!

It is rare for me to complete a project the works properly the first time. After the first try doesn't work, I go back and look at things part by part, joint by joint and find that I made a silly error - like leaving out a part so the circuit is completely open, or missed a solder joint, or (since I use a huge amount of pure silver wiring) a wire broke from metal fatigue. Yes it can be tedious to locate the problem to fix, but I now have kind of standard list of things to check when this happens, which makes the process go much quicker and finds 90% of the problems I encounter. They only way I was able to develop that "checklist" was by failing the first time and working to find the problem afterwards. I love Edison's quote about failure when asked about inventing the light bulb - something like he never failed, he simply found 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb. Don't give up - consider the satisfaction you will feel when you have fixed this problem. Then apply that learning to your next project...

In addition to normally using limited power supplies, which probably wont save a 1/4 watt resistor in a power amp, I pretty much always keep my hand on the power switch until I see that's not going to happen. The meter is already switched on and set to measure voltages, probes in hand. I've also developed a keen sense of smell for burning epoxy. First time power up is safer if you wear glasses. A small fire extinguisher is not a ridiculous idea. CO2 and halon are nice. After you do that many, many times you get a feel for how much double checking is reasonable compared to cleaning up and rebuilding. Not to mention having to flush all the air in your house. :)

Last edited:
up in smoke. no idea what went wrong. so long.

The resistor to the south west looks like it bought a packet also

Bryantramos

I know you probably are feeling very disheartened right now -- best thing is to step away from it and come back to it with a fresh mind and approach

I'm in UK so I cant exactly knock on your door and crack open a few brow soothing beers -- but a beer and a burger usually cures most things :)

I understand your disappointment - but encourage a bit of investigation - and in these forums you have a load of awesome dudes who can help

I had a Tannoy SR840 shower hot bits of its 50Watt Alumimum canned soft start resistor in my face once

the real disappointment and insult to injury was that I designed the bloody thing ;)

Big thanks to all, very very kind and motivating.

I really was ready to give up on this project, but reading all the kind advice there's no way i can give up, I will come back to it as soon as i cool off. I think the problem is i must have wired the vbias wrong. The kit came with a pnp not npn transistor, i thought i had an understanding of how to wire it backwards, apparently not. I'll be contacting greg shortly to see about mailing the board out to see what i did wrong. I can't say thank you enough to all who replied with their stories, each one of you made a difference. Thank you.

I really was ready to give up on this project, but reading all the kind advice there's no way i can give up, I will come back to it as soon as i cool off. I think the problem is i must have wired the vbias wrong. The kit came with a pnp not npn transistor, i thought i had an understanding of how to wire it backwards, apparently not. I'll be contacting greg shortly to see about mailing the board out to see what i did wrong. I can't say thank you enough to all who replied with their stories, each one of you made a difference. Thank you.
Well done, that's the correct decision ;)

Take it from me, i have had a bank of paralleled TO220 transistors go up in flames previously. Black smoke & streamers of plastic gunk in the air & a stink like you couldn't imagine :D

I didn't give up, you'll learn more from errors as has been pointed out already :)

Chill out & then get back on the case, you'll be more than amply rewarded when it's up & running..

Hi bryantramos79,

If you want to send me the blown channel I will do my best to get it going for you. You can then do the other channel yourself.

It will be interesting to see if they copied the PCB incorrectly or given you wrong components or instructions.

regards

Well, that is very nice of you to offer him that. I guess there are still nice people in this world.;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Glad you have decided not to give up, I've been diying things for 30+ yrs at this point and I still let the magic smoke out once in a while, and sometimes even deliberately, although I am no tubelab... :D Mistakes and an occasional component failure go with the territory and provide a good learning opportunity.

Lots of good advice already given, the only thing I would mention is to wear safety glasses when powering up devices for the first time where mischievous electrons may be lurking.. :D

Wait until you get something working and have the dawning realization that it is not just good, but very good, so good in fact that you could not run down to your local audio emporium and buy anything as close to as good.. Then you will know one of the many good reasons for DIY..

Welcome to Diy and DiyA!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi bryantramos79,
Never give up on DIY! It's a lifelong, rewarding hobby where you never stop learning. Besides, we've all had disappointing things happen on the bench. You will find we can all relate to that one, so never feel self-conscience when having a problem like that.

There are friendly people here ready to help if you need. In fact, you have already taken a huge step forward by figuring out that you had the wrong part. So never give up! It's the only time when you can be beat.

Enjoy! Chris

Thats the whole point of DIY that it is a challenge and not too easy.

It would be boring if everything you built just worked !

You learn from mistakes, you dont learn if it all goes right.

Ain't that the truth. Although over the years I have got better at keeping the smoke inside the components.

The most sobering thing that I've had go wrong is a cap exploding. I didn't realise that the tiny things even came with a polarity, the marker to show +, was midget and easily passed me by. The cap itself was a tatalum I think. Either way I powered on and the thing exploded. One piece of the debris flew across the room with such force that when it impacted with the window, it was enough to set off the intruder alarm.

I had never heard the alarm before so didn't know what it was. All I heard was kaboom followed by loud siren. Needless to say I don't install caps with the wrong polarity any more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.