Mosfet replacment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI
I would like to know if I can replace the 2SK1058 & 2SJ162 with Toshiba 2SK1529 & 2SJ200 with out any modification in the circuit .
If some one Know about the Toshiba mosfet please let me know .
I read about in the forum some people say is lateral some say is vertical .
I don't really know what to do with them I have 11pair(very expensive) and I would like to replace the bad sounding Renesans lateral mosfet .
Thanks for any advise .

Greetings

In fact it's something in between - doesn't matter how you call it, important bit is that they have positive temp. co. (current rises with temperature) so you have to take care about it.
Look at the datasheet ;)
Patrick (diyaudio nick = EUVL) can help you, he uses 2sk1529 very often.

Bad sounding Renesas sounds more like a faulty circuit component.
Repair to specification first, before considering re-designing to suit the Toshiba verticals. Yes it will be a redesign not a substitution.
some people say is lateral some say is vertical
Lineup started this confusion and was not man enough to admit the error, resulting in contradictory information on the Forum.

2SK1529, 2SK1530, 2SJ200, 2SJ201 are very very good transistors!
They are mostly used among Japan & Asian DiY People, I have seen.
Those that are one step ahead of US/Europe,
in using clever & creative brains ;)

And with some smaller changes they should replace 2SK105x / 2SJ16x in many amplifiers.
Especially when we want to try to squeeze out more Current.
For example using 4 Ohms speakers in place of 8 Ohms.

But if they are one good replacement for the True Lateral, depends on the actual circuit/amplifier.
Some amplifiers would work less good,
and it would be mistake to replace the original intended devices.
People, as usual, confuse every Change with Improvement.
But reality is, that many new things in our world
are one step back in final results and outcome.

Some 'new things' even can screw up this planet Earth
that people & animals & fishes & flowers & plants
will have very hard to survive in a good way.

If some things would have stayed the OldFashion way
we would not have to face these problems
and not to worry about the life situation of our children and grandchildren

Since my name was mentioned, I should perhaps say a few words.

One can only guess why you want to replace the 2SK1058 / 2SJ162, which are Renesas lateral MOSFETs, have a low Vgs, very low input capacitance, and low transcoductance. If you want to know how to use them properly, pls look through the Blowtorch thread. Charles Hansen (Ayre) has given many many tipps.

2SK1058 / 2SJ162 are available from reichelt.de at 3.50 Euros each. You can email them first to ask whether they are genuine Renesas. Last time I asked, they were.

Direct replacements for 2SK1058 / 2SK162 is available from Semelab (BUZ9xx), or :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95295&highlight=

So if you need them for replacement, there are plenty of supply. Replacing by 2SK1529 / 2SJ200 would not save you money.

If you want to replace them for sound upgrade, then I am not going to make any judgement whether it is the right approach, as they are different devices for different circuit applications. The Toshibas are vertical MOSFETs, have higher capacitances (though lower than IRFP240, etc.) and also higher transconductance. Futhermore, they have zero tempco at different bias current, and are not pin compatible. So plug and play is not going to be. With sufficient effort, you might be able to swap them in the circuit, and it might even work to a certain extent. But the characteristics of the amplifier will certainly change, including potentially DC offset, bias current, distortion spectrum, frequency response, .....

There are plenty of information in the datasheets for all 4 devices. I would at least study them in detail first.

Judging from your question, I would probably advise you against the swap. You need to know what you are doing to make such modifications work. And if you did, you wouldn't have asked in the first place.

Best Regards,
Patrick

Probably a wate of money ? Please help so I can use them !

HI

Thanks to all the answers what I get .
I have no problem with the amplifier circuit , it work outstanding with Exicon type of mosfet . Compare to Renesan Heaven and Earth . I tested in the ProFet amp both lateral.
I purchased these mosfets because Lineup wrote they are lateral so I tought I can use them as a replacement in my next project .
I'm working on the Grand Mos amplifier . I have all the parts even original Hitachi 2SK1058 /2SJ162 . But because I read from these mosfet are so good and they are lateral I purchase them .
Now I already spent a lot of money on these mosfet can some one hint a good Class A circuit were I can use them .
The mosfets cost over $400 , I can not return them .
Please if you know a simple good sounding amplifier were I can use these mosfets please let me know . If you don't know Class A amp too these mosfet I even interested on Class A/B circuit .
If it use 2 or 3 pair for more power even would be better .
Thanks one more time to everybody .

Greetings

Attachments

• picture 004.jpg
    picture 004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 561
You can use your 2SK1529 / 2SJ200 to replace the IRFP240 / 9240 in the Pass F4 circuit. I bet they would sound VERY nice, as they are truely compementary.

You would need 6 pair for stereo in singled-ended, or 12 pairs in balanced mode. The rest is just 2SK170 / 2SJ74 with matched Idss. And large heatsinks of course. Nothing difficult.

Or you might have a look at the Pass F5, which is very similar to the Profet.

If I were you, I would try the F4 first, unless you largely listen to low signal level sources (like Phono or tape).

Patrick

You can do direct replacement in F5 and it will work.

However, to get the most (min distortion) out of the Toshiba's MOSFETs complementary properties in the F5, you may consider :

1) using 2SK170 with Idss of 6.3mA, and 2SK74 with Idss of 7.3mA;
2) replace R2 with 15R, and R6, R8 with 150R 3W.

For details please refer to my posts in the F5 thread.

Patrick

Hi Lineup

What about these 10W SE amplifier you posted at the forum design by Widowmaker . I could use some 2SK1529 in that amp .
Do you have the lay out for the PC board , that is the orig schematic or some parts was replaced ?
If I spent so much money because I read those are lateral mosfet (I purchased 11 pair)at least I could use them some how .
Please let me know

mathelaszlo2@yahoo.ca

Greetings

Attachments

• widowmaker_se-10w-classa-no-feedback-lateral-mosfet.gif
    widowmaker_se-10w-classa-no-feedback-lateral-mosfet.gif
    40 KB · Views: 389
hi EUVL

hi EUVL..i will built an f5 amp tomorrow..i hope so..but i dont have fairchild output mosfets..i have irfps..nelson says 9240 makes distortion..i have 2sk1530/j201..can i use them instead of irfps?i am asking it because i see toshibas has lower gate voltages..do i have to change any resistor values in the circuit for this design? thanks..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.