Blind Listening Tests & Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DOUBLE BLIND DOUBLE DEAF.

Hi,

...so....if you 'agree with jc's approach', we can safely conclude that you 'agree' with his findings, and that therefore the majority of this thread has been a profound and an heroic waste of time?

It's not because I agree with this way to go about DBT that I agree with the heap of crap I read in this thread.

Any kind of measurement and testing is very useful, at the end of the day however it all depends on the intelligence of the person(s) interpreting the result(s) and how to draw conclusions from them.

Hope you can spot the difference?

Cheers,;)

Worlds Cleanest Amplifier.

The only amplifier in the world to challenge a theoretical limit unprecedented harmonic distortion levels of less than 1000 parts per billion
Over the past 50 years it has taken the typical audio manufacturer 50 years to reduce distortion at 20kHz from .1% to .01%. Now, with a single revolutionary technological advancement, Halcro™ has reduced distortion to less than 0.0001%. In fact, all unpleasant distortion in the output stage has been virtually eliminated.

Technical Paper
Written by Bruce Candy, Physicist, Halcro Research & Development Director

I have loved music all my life, been keenly interested in electronics since about 11 years old, and have very unusual ears; I can hear up to 23kHz in one ear and 21kHz in the other.

For many years I have been the Research & Development director and principal designer of several highly successful electronic companies, which have received many awards, but none of these embraced my passion for music and Hi-Fi.
About 10 years ago, I decided to try to eliminate the harsh sound from transistor amplifiers, for my own pleasure. I think I have succeeded. The result is now manifest in the Halcro amplifiers that exhibit harmonic and IM distortion levels many hundreds of times lower than the typical lowest distortion amplifiers. The best dm68 so far produced measured <25 parts per billion harmonic distortion at 1kHz (!), and the worst unit is a mere 600 parts per billion at 20KHz at full power, a frequency where most amplifiers exhibit very poor behaviour.

It could be said that the skill of an acute audiophile ear resides in its ability to perceive false signals among desired signals. One obvious aim of the Halcro technology is to reduce false signals to such a low level that they are quite inaudible. The international specified intermodulation tests (IHF-IM and SMPTE-IM) are indicative of the extent to which false tones are generated by an amplifier.

These tests apply, simultaneously, different inharmonic tones to the amplifier, as is the case with music (chords for example). The level of false inharmonic tones is then measured. The threshold of hearing of the human ear is attained when a pure tone (1kHz) of about 10microV is applied to a typical high-end loudspeaker (90dB @ 1W @ 1m) at a typical listening distance. All Halcro products produce false tones at considerably lower levels than this threshold at typical loud listening levels. No other amplifier company can make this claim.

It is often assumed that if the distortion of a product is less than the measured noise, then it is necessarily inaudible. This is not necessarily so. As is well known, ears behave much more like spectrum analysers for short periods rather than time-domain analysers. It is thus also well known that ears can detect tones or specific frequency spectra in noise even if the noise is far greater in amplitude. Hearing a conversation in a noisy crowd is an example of this, where one's brain continually selects frequency spectra to optimise the signal to noise ratio. In order to measure the THD + N across the audio band, the measuring FFT analyser's bandwidth needs to be set to 100kHz to measure at least up to the 5th harmonic of 20 kHz.

If an amplifier has an input referred noise of, say, 10nV/sqrt(Hz) and a gain of 30, then the measured noise is 10nV/sqrt(Hz) x sqrt(100,000) x 30 = 100microV; that is substantially more than audible 10 microV referred to above.
Even though this noise voltage is far greater than the 10microV-tone limit of a human ear. It is interesting to note that the same ear would be quite incapable of detecting this noise. Simply because the noise density is low: the human ear can easily hear a difference of 1Hz at 1 kHz, and the noise density in a 1Hz band is, of course, 10nV/sqrt (Hz) x 30 = 0.3microV only.

It therefore seems strange to me that distortion is measured to include noise, as one can definitely hear signals of amplitude substantially less than the noise measured in the distortion + noise measurements.
The reason, I assume, is historic: Early THD analysers simply measured THD + N, whereas it is now possible to measure arbitrary low noise floors depending on the ability to notch out the fundamental and the frequency point spacing in the FFT analysis.

However, to what extent a good ear can hear below the measured amplifier noise when music is produced is difficult to assess. These sorts of arguments pervade discussions in the industry. For example, all cables and interconnects contribute lower measured distortion than even the Halcro amplifiers, without exception, and yet many audiophiles claim to be highly aware of the difference between cables.
I am proud to have the unique claim stated above, namely that the Halcro amplifiers produce less false IM or harmonic signal than the measured threshold of the human ear.
In this industry, we are continually reminded that the ultimate test is the listening test.

I said exactly this sort of stuff way back in this thread, and now we have documented proof. ;)
For you 'null testers', your amplifiers need to be as good as the Halcro to be indistiguishable, and if they are not, then the internal distortion products will be audible, and then by definition distinguishable.
0.01% amplifiers are distorted enough for the human ear to detect and categorise the distortions, especially IMD products.

I rest my case.

Eric.

Halcro, another Aussie world beater.

The ultimate proof...

now we have documented proof.
For you 'null testers', your amplifiers need to be as good as the Halcro to be indistiguishable, and if they are not, then the internal distortion products will be audible, and then by definition distinguishable.

Ok... the publicity claims of a trade mark amplifiers staff...for you is a PROOF!!!:bigeyes:

I rest my case.

Me too!!

What a pleasure.....to test the world "best"..

mrfeedback said:
The noise power figures are given in the text.
Do yourself a favour and read and comprehend them.
IOW, a 70 dB null is not good enough to be inaudible.

What a pleasure if have a Halcro in my hands...and do the null test!!
It may become a big surprise....

Who knows???

Anyone have one???

Do it!!...do it!!!

Peter Daniel said:

Than I don't understand the reason for your comments in here (and the way you've made them).

As I said, anyone is free to believe what they wish. That doesn't mean that if they're spouting what I consider to be nonsense that I'm not going to say anything about it.

And the comparison to flat Earth is pathetic at the least.

See, and that's how I feel about some of the stuff that people claim on these forums. Pathetic at the least. That aside, the point is that I couldn't imagine you'd advocate people teaching/advocating theories that are provably untrue. Yet, at the same time, I see this same thing all the time on these boards.

schmad said:

That aside, the point is that I couldn't imagine you'd advocate people teaching/advocating theories that are provably untrue. Yet, at the same time, I see this same thing all the time on these boards.

I'm not sure if I'm advocating those theories. But OTOH, I still didn't find a reason to believe they are not true so I prefer to believe they are true.

This gives me drive and enjoyment to do what I'm doing, and audio became a sort of an adventure to me. That's why I despise the people who spoil my fun.;) That's about it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Worlds Cleanest Amplifier.

mrfeedback said:
The only amplifier in the world to challenge a theoretical limit unprecedented harmonic distortion levels of less than 1000 parts per billion
Over the past 50 years it has taken the typical audio manufacturer 50 years to reduce distortion at 20kHz from .1% to .01%. Now, with a single revolutionary technological advancement, Halcro™ has reduced distortion to less than 0.0001%. In fact, all unpleasant distortion in the output stage has been virtually eliminated.

I said exactly this sort of stuff way back in this thread, and now we have documented proof. ;)
0.01% amplifiers are distorted enough for the human ear to detect and categorise the distortions, especially IMD products.

I rest my case.

Eric.

Halcro, another Aussie world beater.

...you are neither the first nor doubtless the last to be taken in by a manufacturer's sells blab.........to call such 'proof' is rather premature...

...tuned in readers will note that Cordell's amp. in JAES achieved the same level of THD+N some 20 years before DR. Candy's design..

...note also that Halcro's much vaunted low distortion is unconventionally specified without noise.......:nod:

...In practice and from steoreophiles measurements using Audio Precision equipment, THD+N is of the same order as that generated by the NE5534 driven to 10V peak output...namely 6ppm-8ppm across the audio band.........(not as earth shaking then as 600ppb!!:nod: ).....

also, according to Stereophile, the designer conceded that the 'sound quality' of his designs owed more to the quality of the power supply than anything else.....nothing new there then..:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: DOUBLE BLIND DOUBLE DEAF.

mikek said:
...so....if you 'agree with jc's approach', we can safely conclude that you 'agree' with his findings, and that therefore the majority of this thread has been a profound and an heroic waste of time?

fdegrove said:
Hi,
It's not because I agree with this way to go about DBT that I agree with the heap of crap I read in this thread.

Any kind of measurement and testing is very useful, at the end of the day however it all depends on the intelligence of the person(s) interpreting the result(s) and how to draw conclusions from them.

Hope you can spot the difference?

Cheers,;)

AHH SOO!! :happy1:...you do 'agree' with his findings then! :D

schmad said:

Yeah, math and physics do tend to fall behind the times.

No, your experiences are not fact. They are just that, your experiences. How do you know how much better your hearing is than average?

Heh...you're killing me here. What big name dude and theory based on old out of data tests are you referring to, pray tell? I am keeping an open mind, I'd just ask you to do the same.

I have never mentioned anything about math and physics fall behind the times, however the correlation between numbers, graphs and what we CAN and DO hear surely does. Seems you have a problem understanding this... your loss not mine.

MY experience are fact as I have successful blind tests behind me to support what I hear and not hear, yet another thing you seems to have problem understanding.

My hearing was tested by a Doctor two years ago and I hear 10dB better than the average human, according to the Dr.

Some guys are refering to "big names" and tests, I don´t care much about them or their names since their testing methods are old or done in the wrong manner. producing "false" and useless results.

You don´t need to ask me to have an open mind as I do allready have that since waaay back. Therefore it´s really funny for me to see how thickheaded some guys at this board are, going on with their "blah blah" when they don´t have a clue about what they are talking about.

/Peter

Re: Re: purplepeople wrote:

schmad said:

Is this an audio amp? If so, I'd like to know which amp you were using that has a bandwidth of 1-4 MHz.

Patriot V100 4MHz, 800V/uS
Zapsolute 1MHz
DynamicPrecision 800kHz, greater than 250V/uS

Spectral 600V/uS, this one I´ve not heard though.

And yes, these are audio amps, I usually use audio amps when listening to audio/music :) Do you have a better solution/suggestion?

/Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Pan said:

My hearing was tested by a Doctor two years ago and I hear 10dB better than the average human, according to the Dr.

/Peter

.......At what frequency did the good Doctor indicate your hearing to be 'better than the average human being'?:)

.....And equally pertinently, what age of Human being did the good Doctor have in mind?:nod:

schmad said:

Doesn't bother me in the least. People are free to believe what they wish.

That's just it -- I'm not religious about the subject of audio. If it can't be backed up with science and math, it's not there as far as I'm concerned.

Would you have schools using textbooks claiming that the Earth is flat because some people believe it to be?

How stupid comments.

Before anyone managed to describe/proove with science and math that the earth was round and spinning around the sun, does that mean that the earth actually WAS flat and the sun was spinning around the earth ???

Neither life itself or magnetism can be described and explained by any scientist, does that mean we are not here??? Wake up please...

What many of us DO hear is actually there, soon we will have perfect methods to describe this in numbers and graphs, we are not fully there yet though as far as I understand.

/Peter

Re: Re: purplepeople wrote:

mikek said:

Helllllllllll......Nooooo......!!!!:D Please, i would love to examine this 4MHz bandwidth power amp.......i assume here that you refer to the half-power bandwidth as opposed to the unity-gain cross-over freq.???:bigeyes:

...slew rate of 800V/uS...am i correct in assuming the amp. swings in excess of 6KV peak for this to be true, (i.e: 'audible')?:bigeyes:

I think the numbers are -3dB full power bandwith up to 20k, I´m not sure though. See my other post for "spec´s" of some high resolution amps. If I remember correct Spectral has/had an amp with 5MHz BW.

The Patriot V100 has an slewrate of 800V/uS and is a 100W/8 ohm class A amp. I dont know where you get 6kV from.

/Peter

mikek said:

Peter old chap:D.....what 'old theory' are you soooooo elequently aluding to? surely you are going to tell us....OH maestro?
surely your ears are not the much vaunted 'modern standards' at issue here..:rolleyes:

Dear apprentice,
any old theory that contradicts my and MANY others findings about audibility of low level distortion in audio gear... :)

/Peter

mikek said:

.......At what frequency did the good Doctor indicate your hearing to be 'better than the average human being'?:)

.....And equally pertinently, what age of Human being did the good Doctor have in mind?:nod:

It was one of those test where you put on can´s, sit in a silent room, and then listens to sinewaves at various frequencies. Don´t remember exactly the "BW" of the test but could it have been 100Hz - 5k or something like that? At 5 or so fr. points.

About age, I don´t remember but the Dr was sure "impressed" and surprised, not me though, I knew I had good hearing :nod:

/Peter

Older Ears Can Be Better Than Younger Ears....

Pan said:
About age, I don´t remember but the Dr was sure "impressed" and surprised, not me though, I knew I had good hearing :nod:

/Peter

Hi Peter,
With agieng, it is to be expected that your (our) hearing sensitivity and bandwidth degrades, however the ear/brain system is self learning, and according to aural experiences can actully become more discriminating.

The more of, and better systems that you get to experience, the bigger and better the database of 'captured' sounds you will accumulate, and become an even better judge of systems.
Also be aware that one's sonic preferences may change during this period also.

These factors are ones that our younger bretheren seem not to understand.

Eric.

Ah, the Halcros...

Sometime ago, I already said here, I listened to the Halcros (the amps and the preamp).
To me, they were playing very well, but the conditions were not optimal for the listening session.
Some people didn't interpret very well my words, because I never said it's the best.
But it has an impressive soundstage (large and deeep).
I would really like to hear to them in my room.:devily:
People (and the manufacturer) say they are the finest amp ever made.
I don't believe in that.
You had to listen to every amp in the world, and then you could say what's best.
As I don't believe specs are everything (they are just an initial indication), just by reading a paper I would not say it's the best.
It could have the best spects, just that.
But I would have to hear it, and all the others.
Of course, that's impossible.
So... the rest is marketing.:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.