CFP oscillation woes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help. I've got a whole load of BUZ90xD's and I'm trying to build fairly conventional 3 stage circtuit to use them in. I've been trying a CFP output, but all I can seem to make are the worlds most ferrocious RF oscillators! I don't know whether it's the design that's at fault (I've tried many!), my PCB layout (I've tried many), or whether this just isn't going to happen and I should be looking to do something different. I'm up for experimentation, and learning by making mistakes and working out what went wrong, but I've run out of ideas and material to research, so I'm hoping onwe of you kind people may have some advice please.

Attached is a copy of the schematic, and the PCB layout. Drain resistors, L1 and L2, which are actually ferrite beads, and the Zobel are mounted on the copper side. T03's are mounted through a large lump pf copper.

The input cascode isn't implemented yet, input transistors are BC556/BC546, overload protection isn't fitted on the board and I've tried a variety of values for base stopper resistors. 3K9 seemed to work best to damp the oscillation, but it goes nuts when attached to anything a speaker and the moment the bias goes over 1.1 volts it starts oscillating like mad.

As far as I can tell it's stable apart from the parasitics, and it works fine in LTspice.
Answers on a postcard please!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Ian,

I find your idea interesting, but also extremely challenging: the combination of the highish impedance at the collectors of Q5/Q6 with the high capacitances of the MOS will create a strong local pole, which will make the global loop difficult to stabilize.
I'm not even sure the isolated composite will be stable when biased.
You'll have to devise a clever compensation scheme incorporating the output pole, so as to take advantage of it: no matter what you do, it will more or less remain dominant.
Or you could insert a bipolar follower between the drivers and the MOS, in order to simulate a bipolar CFP. Stabilization won't be an easy task either however.
Good luck.

PS
The ferrite beads in the gates have no effect at all: their impedance will always be much lower than the 2K2. You could use them alone if you choose to try my second proposition.

At which frequencies is your circuit oscillating? Conventional class-AB PCB layout style (like yours) is only good up to 1Mhz or so. If your output stage exhibits somewhat higher bandwidth, you have to resort to SMPS and class-D PCB design techniques.

Also, I don't see a RC network to simulate a resistive load at RF in your schematic, and supply decoupling is laid out in the worst way.

Even the inductance of the 0.22 resistors is a problem above 1Mhz, it will add to layout and supply inductances and it will resonate with MOSFET internal capacitances.

Hi Scott

L1 and 2 are ferrite beads. I dug up an article on their use to prevent parasitics, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The isolation resistor should have a 1000uF filter cap by it, but it's missing in the schematic! It's definately on the PCB.

Elvee

Thanks, that would seem to make sense! I used some OP design elements from the ESP project here: http://www.sound.westhost.com/project27.htm and he seems to have ended up with a stable amp, albeit with different OP devices.

Eva

I'll let you know in a minute about the oscillation frequency. The schematic is from the PCB design software rather than spice, which is why it doesn't include a load circuit. For some reason I've pulled up a version which doesn't include filtering components shown. Sorry about that.
How could the supply filtering be improved? I assume you mean layout on the PCB?

Thanks for your comments so far :D

Ian

Hi,
what are the currents through the various stages?
VAS & Driver currents look like they are quite low.

Are Q5, 6 & 7 on a common heatsink/spreader?

R26 & 27 should be attached with a very cropped lead directly to the gate pins. Swap the locations of the resistors and inductors.
Omit the inductors? Do they need to be 2k2? What about much lower values?

Is C1 (150pF) returned to the correct node?

Temporarily swap a 2k pot for R2 to find best value for the fixed resistor.

Temporarily remove R32, 33, D5 & 6 (edit - not fitted yet)

C9 seems to be in an odd place. Vcc to Q11 base?

Do Buz have diodes to absorb inductive spikes if the protection triggers?

Hi Andrew

I've got pots so I can adjust LTP and VAS current. At the moment they're set at around 4 and 6mA respectively, but neither seem to have any impact on the oscillation if I adjust them. Q5,6,7 are sandwiched together, with Q7's legs in the three square pads to the right of R18.

I haven't tried swapping the beads with the gate stoppers, but I'll give it a go. 2K2 is the lowest I can get without immediate oscillation when it fires up.

At the moment, R2 is 680, as I tried to see what would happen when I changed it. I'll see what I can do with a pot. R3 is 220 at the moment - I wanted to see what would happen if I moved the CL gain closer to the OL gain, but it made no difference to stability.

C9 is as per D Self - APADH P.230, to bring the slew rate back to symetrical if it suffers from cap. feedthrough on Q11 C-B. It's not currently fitted in the circuit - pads are just there for if I need them

C1 is returned to that point as per APADH P.248 Although it should be said that Self adds the cascode for a different reason to me - a potential helper for PSRR by holding the LTP pair at a steady VCE - whereas I was thinking about using it to up the rails a bit and not go over the low VCE of the LTP pair (40V). As it happens, it doesn't work, so the cascode transistors are replaced by links E-C.

Buz do indeed have internal protection diodes.

Cheers

Ian

Hi,
the idea for placing the gate resistors right at the gates is to minimise the lead inductance between the damping resistor and the gate capacitance. Your existing layout does the exact opposite. Maybe even crop the gate lead and crop the resistor lead and solder the two together directly below the heatsink flange.

ian_elvar,
as already is pointed out:
I would omit the ferrite beads, C9, C6 and arrange C1 differently. The gate stopper values are way too high.
Moreover:
I would just use a less deteriorating resistor to set the bias current and omit the the protection circuit.
Increasing the driver current is desirable for several reasons, like stability.

I've got a lot to answer here, so I'll do each in turn...

I haven't made any physical changes yet, I'm working in the sim at the moment.

Andrew - regarding the gate stoppers and pins - sounds like a great idea, i'll try it first thing when I start playing with the actual board again.
The sim shows 8mA through the driver stage with the 560's. Going down to 100 will yield 50mA, and obviously anything in between.

Eva - It's a fair point about r22/r23, they are just ordinary wire wound jobbies. I'll see if I can work something out with ordinary resistors.

Unclejed - C1 is the comp cap, just in an unconventional place because of the cascode. that's not implemented though, so to all intents and purposes it's in the usual position. It may not look like it on the schematic, but have a good look at the PCB and you'll see that the VAS is in between the legs of the LTP. C9 I explained in a previous post. Again, it's not implemented at the moment.

Lumba - Don't forget that these are dual die packages, so there's essentially 2 FETS in each T03. The app note actually specifies that gate stoppers may need to be increased to at least 1K5. I do agree that it still seems too high at 2K2 though. I hope to be able to take it down a little from there. I've tried a simple biasing arrangement on another circuit before, and it didn't really make much difference. I'll give it another go if I get desperate though, and I'll defiantely give the driver current increase a go in a bit.

Thanks again, this is really helpful stuff. Somethimes I just can't see the wood for the trees because I've been looking at my own circuit too long!

Quick update

Sorry for the mistake, I meant R24/25 are wire wound.
C6 removed.
Beads removed
Gate stoppers moved right next to gate pins, and original position jumpered. Still 2K2
R22/23 are now 220r.
I can get a clean sine wave out like before, but increasing the bias from up from zero does nothing to vary the current draw displayed at the power supply until 1.2 volts, at which point it still bursts into oscillation, and obviously the current draw goes up massively. There seems to be something really really wrong here. I've checked that everything is in the right orientation, and the PCB matched the schematic. I think I'll give the straight pot a go and see what happens.

the left side of C1 shouldn't be isolated on the other side of the current mirror, it should be between collector and base of your VAS, which here is a darlington of Q3 and Q4. try moving C1 to the base of Q3 or the base of Q4 (Q3 base is the current input to the VAS, so it should be there)

Wiring is 1 meter test leads from the bench PSU, a 20MHz probe, and nothing else. Grounds are lead back to a star point, which the 0V of the bench PSU is connected to. As yet none of the rail filter caps are installed.

Eva - in answer to your question, oscillations are at almost exactly 5MHz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.