Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Corax is offline Corax  Germany
diyAudio Member

In my case it would be PA use only, (loud ) garden partys, other 'smaller' PA events and also for rent (therefore not only for my own pleasure).

For my living room I've already a good amp (of course DIY) and my own reference speakers (also DIY of course).

Loudspeakers I build my own, preferably horns for the bass. I like it really 'rumbling' (if you know what I mean).
Old 11th April 2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Corax
@MJL21193:

Are you serious about considering a full bridge doubler?
At these high power reatings a 'doubler' isn't such a good idea. For auxiliary voltage supplies I wouldn't mind but not in a high current power path.

The use of 3 transformers is (in particular) a good idea

Hi Corax,
Yes, I am serious. A doubler would double the voltage and half the current, right? So you start with more current. Seems simple to me, but maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. Can you explain why it would not be a good idea?

Without a doubt, the best option would be a single, massive transformer, rather than three separate units. One bigger is always more efficient than three smaller. These are costly though.
Old 11th April 2008, 03:05 PM   #13
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corax
@MJL21193:
Besides using heavy-duty toroidal transformers I'm considering to use (for simplicity reasons) a (no-feedback) SMPS with PFC.
This way it might be possible to keep the whole amp below a weight of 30 pounds. And more interesting, for global use the input voltage would be of no interest (wide range input, i.e. from 90...240VAC). I've a particular design in mind and if you (and other too of course) are interested I'm going to share my thoughts and we can discuss the (final) design based on wishes, ease of design, reliability, and so on.
Thought about SMPSs, but I'm just not as qualified as Eva is to build them. Especially not at this power level - 60 Hz units are foolproof and I already have them. Most of the "design" consists of taking known working sub-circuits putting them together around what I can buy surplus. I found the trafos, did some quick cals that said they will do a "super heavy duty RMX4050-like amp", and bought them all. They've been sitting while I figured out how to fit everything together. In the meantime, I built a smaller amp (4x750) using similar circuits with only a single rail switch to make sure everything will work together before doing board layout. I have enough extra pcbs to build a few more of this same amp if I can come up with a good SMPS.

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
Just curious: What will be the use of the amp? 2000 W in the living room or as PA? If in the living room, how high audio level do you want to achieve?
Of course it'f for PA, silly. I have eight sub boxes, eight midbass boxes, and six mid/hi cabs driven with three S-Leach type 1.2kW/ch units, two PLX3102s, two XS1200's and a CE4000. It's not enough power to do it right, and I keep having to rob amps from this system to rent out my smaller one (which is a lot more often). A couple of RMX2450's and USA1310's have been relegated to monitor duty.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Yes, I am serious. A doubler would double the voltage and half the current, right? So you start with more current. Seems simple to me, but maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. Can you explain why it would not be a good idea?

Without a doubt, the best option would be a single, massive transformer, rather than three separate units. One bigger is always more efficient than three smaller. These are costly though.
Voltage doubler? No way. The peak currents will be ridiculous, and the filtering requirements for 60 Hz ripple will be out of this world. The voltage will drop like a stone under load and I'll be lucky to get 1kw/ch at 2 ohms out of the same volatges with the same AC power draw. A single massive trafo would be the best possible way to go, but I obtained the 32-0-32's for $30 apiece. Try to get a 2.5kVA six-secondary custom would toriod and see what it costs ya. Enough to make you just drop the whole idea and drop three grand for a *pair* of RMX4050's. You'll still be ahead buying three 800-900VA standard units.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default some progress

It took a while to figure out how to build this in a manner that's repeatable, using stuff that I can get and tools I have. Next up, start stuffing the first board, and cutting holes in the chassis.

The first one should be up by June or July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcbs_w_hsinks.jpg (91.8 KB, 1000 views)
Old 14th May 2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Interesting to see what you will achieve. Never thought of class D?
Old 14th May 2008, 01:26 PM   #16
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

Look at rockford fosgate, biggest amp, but still in class AB, but I would go for D, but it is not easy to make it stable
Old 14th May 2008, 01:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: some progress

Quote:
Originally posted by wg_ski
It took a while to figure out how to build this in a manner that's repeatable, using stuff that I can get and tools I have. Next up, start stuffing the first board, and cutting holes in the chassis.

The first one should be up by June or July.
2 kW/channel => 1.5 kW heat. That's a lot! Your cooling scheme seems not to be sufficient for the task.

Isn't it better to have a couple smaller amps? It must be easier to find semiconductors.

Have you seen the nice and small amps from Labgruppen
13000 watts!

More class D

Nice amps
Old 14th May 2008, 02:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: some progress

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

2 kW/channel => 1.5 kW heat. That's a lot! Your cooling scheme seems not to be sufficient for the task.

Isn't it better to have a couple smaller amps? It must be easier to find semiconductors.

Actually, about 900 watts heat. 3-tier class H. And this has more heatsink than comparably rated commercial offerings (which is why they can't put out over 1/8 power).

A couple of smaller amps? I'm planning a rack full of these as it is.
Which is why I'm taking the time to make it easily manufacturable.

I'd love to have a half dozen Lab Gruppens. But I decided to pay off my house instead of spending that kind of money on amps.
Old 15th May 2008, 09:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

goon mate

who cares if i would be listening to a million watt amp rumbling in my bed room
and heat is just very easy to overcome........well provided that there are no oscillations or the amp is stable..........

and pls....frankly who wants to have a cup of cold coffee.......
as class D is........

served cold ? naaahhh......

can't wait for the results!
Old 15th May 2008, 05:09 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Have you tested the power supply anything? LM311 will this work?

Hide this!Advertise here!