My MOSFET amplifier designed for music

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Here is the BOM with Mouser part nos. for anyone not so experienced / for ease of ordering.
Laterals can be found on Tayda electronics, Mouser does not have them.
Funny thing is Mouser lists 2N5401 as obsolete both for fairchild and on-semi. I have given alternative manufacturer with same lead orientations (EBC).
it would be nice if someone could go through it and comment on critical components.:D

Attachments

• BOM.pdf
    50.7 KB · Views: 309
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When I posted the design of this amp on the forum (back in 2008) it was already a few years old and so its no surprise that some parts have dropped out of production.

The main manufacturer of laterals these days (although I haven't as yet used any) is EXICON and so it would be worth checking the equivalent devices from them.

The 2N5551/5401 seem to appear and disappear from suppliers at the moment although Farnell and RS both stock them.

Attachments

• ECX10N20.pdf
    618.8 KB · Views: 191
There are dozens of Lateral type mosFETs.
It appears that the die manufacturer is ONE factory in Japan.
There appear to be many device fabricators that assemble the dies onto their preferred packages.
When one reads the datasheets they appear to be almost identical.
Remember when all the Laterals around the world became unavailable after the SOURCE dried up as a result of a Japanese Earthquake. was it Kobe in 1995? or a bit later?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
I have a good access to original renesas 2SK 2SJ MOSFETs and have about 7 pairs currently. So not worried in that dept. I checked exicons, they do not appear on mouser. If these laterals are supposedly designed for music, why people still find it difficult to find them. must be due to the reason given by Andrew T.
:2c:
BTW, Tayda has good stock of these renesas laterals (120,000), charge a reasonable shipping cost. so not likely to run out of stock in near future.:). so also for To-92 transistors!..
Can MPSA 42/92 be used in your design? or any other substitutions? so that builders can use whatever is handy...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The MPSA42/92 are slightly higher voltage devices than the 2N's and would be fine, although in practice the higher voltage types often have lower hfe and so the open loop gain of the amp becomes a little lower and so the overall distortion increases very slightly.

The same limitations on power dissipation apply... 500mw which is ample but that is at 25C or lower. In hot climates and in a restricted space this is something to watch and clip on heatsinks may well be needed, particularly if running high voltage rails.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
The MPSA42/92 are slightly higher voltage devices than the 2N's and would be fine, although in practice the higher voltage types often have lower hfe and so the open loop gain of the amp becomes a little lower and so the overall distortion increases very slightly.

The same limitations on power dissipation apply... 500mw which is ample but that is at 25C or lower. In hot climates and in a restricted space this is something to watch and clip on heatsinks may well be needed, particularly if running high voltage rails.

Thanks Mr. Karl , for the answers. Going by the opinion you expressed, it would seem, fairchild KSA992 and KSC1845 seem to be good devices. lower output capacitence, higher Hfe, lower thermal derate.... If used on your circuit, what would be implications?, are they more suited?...I would be delighted to know opinions . On mouser, KSA and KSC were only 6 or 8 cents each last time I had seen and seem to be universal small signal devices. reasonably high voltage, low Cob, high Hfe, .... (of course, we have to take care of pin orientations for the circuit under discussion).....

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Dear all,
Thanks for your interest in PCB. till today I got total 10 PCB interest.
I got quotations from board house, my price +international packaging is 4.25 $ +0.25$.
However the board house requires 30 pcb order to get this price. I will open a new thread in GB section to get more interest.
if there is no interest still, I will cancel this GB as I dont want to to burden interested guys with additional PCB development charges.
I will post gerbers meant for final PCB order for interested people to make their own PCB. if someone else wants to take this GB forward, most welcome. I handover gerbers.

Only regret is, why people are there in diyaudio and not interested music anymore as endorsed by AKSA....a different matter altogether...:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Dear all,
Member prasi, whom i know, has kindly agreed to take this forward, if the group buy ever go through...as i have a possible job change scenario and dont know if i will be able to invest time needed for logistics...
thanks again to Mr. Karl, alex mm, and prasi ...and of course others who have expressed interest...

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
since I had requests for gerbers, posting here. I use these gerber formats previously without problems. but I can not guarantee your PCB manufacture may produce correctly, please check with your board house before hand and check against posted layout pdf before giving go ahead.

Attachments

• mooly mosfet amp vert-rev1.zip
    184.7 KB · Views: 337