Stereophile, January 2008, pages 13 and 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off Topic....

So, should I assume that everyone has acutally used the LM4562 / LME497x0 opamps that started these brouhahas in the first place?

I've found them to be quite exceptional where and when used appropriately. Very possibly not the ultimate for the scratch built, bespoke component, but for a yokel like me, faced with the shame of monolithic opamps polluting our paths, these chips are far less evil than those they've replaced.

Very few have actually opined based upon actual experience.
I've been quite impressed with how the initial discussion went from how good the National chips may or may not be, to one of Aristotelian Ideals. :bawling: :smash:

john curl said:
If we want to publish rebuttals, Walt Jung has found the 16 page rebuttal to Bob Cordell that we tried to publish in 1980 in 'Audio'. Should we try to put it here, in order to maintain balance?

Hi John,

That was about 25 years ago, so I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall seeing that. The reply letter to the editor you guys wrote was just recently furnished to me, as I had looked and could not even find that. My attic is a mess! I think I may have replied to your reply, but I have not found that either.

Anyway, I'm very interested in seeing that 16-page rebuttal of yours. Was it longer than the original article?

Anyway do go ahead and post it. If you can't post it, or choose not to, please email me a copy of it to Bob@cordellaudio.com.

Cheers,
Bob

My true point is: 'People who throw rocks, should not live in glass houses.'
Chas Hansen wrote a letter to the editor of 'Stereophile', expecting it to be a LTE, or an editorial. It wound up in the back of the magazine instead.
For some reason, Bob Cordell decided to criticize the letter in public, rather than in private, like he recommended to us, decades ago, when we did the same thing to him, in 1980.
By the way, when Indira Gandhi, many decades ago, was shown a microprocessor chip, she asked what it was made of. The answer to her was: 'SAND' To her surprise. Actually, 'dirty sand' would be more accurate, don't you think?

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john curl said:
By the way, when Indira Gandhi, many decades ago, was shown a microprocessor chip, she asked what it was made of. The answer to her was: 'SAND' To her surprise. Actually, 'dirty sand' would be more accurate, don't you think?

Well that clearly settles the argument.

SY said:
Nothin' cleaner than pure, unadulterated vacuum.

Yeah, especially when it is between the ears.........................

:whacko:

john curl said:
My true point is: 'People who throw rocks, should not live in glass houses.'
Chas Hansen wrote a letter to the editor of 'Stereophile', expecting it to be a LTE, or an editorial. It wound up in the back of the magazine instead.
For some reason, Bob Cordell decided to criticize the letter in public, rather than in private, like he recommended to us, decades ago, when we did the same thing to him, in 1980.

First of all, John, it was Charles who was recklessly throwing the rocks here. Letters to the editor like that are always fair game for disagreement. I think it is a shame that you try to distract from, and derail this thread by injecting a different 25-year-old controversey here.

As far as what happened 25 years ago, I will happily believe any assertions you make about the interaction when you show the material. I suggest you post it in the permanent feedback thread, where it belongs.

Quite frankly, you have been harping about that extended "rebuttal" for years now, and I have just assumed that you were blowing smoke. Maybe my memory failed me. We are, of course, both growing older :). Show me the letters, and I'll be happy to at least eat crow about their existence.

By the way, I'm a bit mystified that you even thought that you had a chance to get a 16-page letter to the editor in Audio published. What did Gene Pitts tell you as the reason why he did not publish it?

I think that, largely, my article on TIM in Audio has withstood the test of time. It is available on my website at www.cordellaudio.com for those who would like to read it and decide for themselves. I welcome debate on it.

Cheers,
Bob

Can anyone direct me to a list of recordings owned/used by Charles Hansen, John Curl, et al?
I would love to hear for myself even a sampling of their vast collection of pristine, op amps/NFB free recording chain sound, not embedded with those horrible maladies, that plague the sound of many playback systems.
Anyone?

cheers,

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.