Stereophile, January 2008, pages 13 and 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
andy_c said:
I hope nobody is reading this thread and thinking that someone has taken control of their TV set or something of that nature.

Andy, you are a really smart guy and helpful in many threads. But this type of stupid comment is not helpful, nor entertaining.

You live less than 20 miles from our factory. I have repeatedly invited you to come up and listen so you can see for yourself. But all you do is make lame excuses.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Simulations are useful, but it is not the real world.

So either put up (and come listen) or shut up. I am tired of this silly sniping.

Steve Eddy said:
Had you tried the Seidens? Don't know about sound as I haven't compared them to the Shallcos, but they sure do look better.

Based on the picture you posted, I disagree strongly. For example:

- Cadmium plated (magnetic) steel posts to assemble the parts.

- The connector tags are clearly stamped and a separate piece from the contacts. They are probably swaged, which is not the optimal way to make a contact.

- I can't see the wipers in the photo you supplied, but you can see part of them here:

http://ns.tachyon.co.jp/~sichoya/seiden/56gif/56030.html

They look to be quite a bit less good than the Shallco wipers, although it would be better to see them in person to be sure.

Then there are a raft of other problems:

- The maximum number of contacts is 58, instead of the 60 Shallco offers.

- Shallco is very easy to work with. We have been buying switches from them for over 10 years. If I need a custom part, a prototype, or replacement parts, I simply pick up the phone and get exactly what I need in very short order.

- Shallco is located in the US. There is no language barrier, no customs or duty hassles, and shipping is trivial.

The one advantage of the Seidens is probably the detent mechanism. The Shallco detent mechanism has a pretty mediocre "feel". My understanding is that the Seidens have a very nice "feel". But for the KX-R, our "fly-by-wire" system eliminates both the detent mechanism and any direct interaction between the front panel control and the switch itself, so that issue becomes moot for us.

john curl said:
At first we used the TKD pot, and it was pretty good, but for some reason, Parasound could not get the parts, so we now use Alps,
TKD seems like a really strangely run company... I tried to organize a group buy for 100 pots (same value) and they shined me off to a distributor who quoted higher prices than Percy/partsconnexion... oh well. I don't see their stuff used extensively, and for a somewhat reasonably priced pot, they are good.

Charles: the picture of your new preamp were quite impressive... that is some crazy setup with the stepped switches.

Chris

Charles Hansen said:
Based on the picture you posted, I disagree strongly.

When I said look better, I meant just that. Aesthetically they look much better than the Shallcos in my opinion.

- Cadmium plated (magnetic) steel posts to assemble the parts.

I'm not so sure that's cad plated steel. Looks like brass in most all the photos I've seen.

- The connector tags are clearly stamped and a separate piece from the contacts. They are probably swaged, which is not the optimal way to make a contact.

No, but I'm not sure the Shallcos are one piece. The contacts appear to be soldered or welded onto the posts.

In any case, I do think solder tabs are much easier to work with than solid posts.

- I can't see the wipers in the photo you supplied, but you can see part of them here:

http://ns.tachyon.co.jp/~sichoya/seiden/56gif/56030.html

They look to be quite a bit less good than the Shallco wipers, although it would be better to see them in person to be sure.

Yeah, it's really impossible to say just from the photos. They could very well be like the Shallco wipers, but just have a slightly different shape.

Then there are a raft of other problems:

- The maximum number of contacts is 58, instead of the 60 Shallco offers.

Yeah, but I think that's just a bit nit-picky.

- Shallco is very easy to work with. We have been buying switches from them for over 10 years. If I need a custom part, a prototype, or replacement parts, I simply pick up the phone and get exactly what I need in very short order.

- Shallco is located in the US. There is no language barrier, no customs or duty hassles, and shipping is trivial.

True enough.

The one advantage of the Seidens is probably the detent mechanism. The Shallco detent mechanism has a pretty mediocre "feel".

Yes. They do have a rather clunky "industrial" feel to them. And there's a fair amount of slop at the stops, particularly the full clockwise stop.

My understanding is that the Seidens have a very nice "feel".

Yes, I've heard the same.

But for the KX-R, our "fly-by-wire" system eliminates both the detent mechanism and any direct interaction between the front panel control and the switch itself, so that issue becomes moot for us.

Yes, that is a very nice system you've worked out and a beautiful preamp to boot. The only nit I would pick would be the number of dimples in the encoder wheels. I'd have gone with one instead of five. They look rather like the new Krell knobs which look rather like the cylinder on a revolver. But other than that, a beautiful piece of work.

se

Charles Hansen said:
You live less than 20 miles from our factory. I have repeatedly invited you to come up and listen so you can see for yourself. But all you do is make lame excuses.

Okay. I have tried to avoid answering this question in the past, but since you persist, and insist on making this public, I will answer publicly and honestly. I actually haven't made any excuses at all about this in the past. I simply have not replied to your requests, as the record shows. Anyone can check this.

I live in Louisville. CO, which is less than 7 miles from Boulder, where the Ayre factory is. So why haven't I come to visit you?

It all comes down to this. I like technical people, and can't stand marketers.

John is cool. He is a technical guy, and though he and I have disagreed on many technical issues in the past, and likely will do so in the future, that's part of the game. That's part of what it means to live life, and live it fully. But technical issues are just that, and don't amount to much in the overall scheme of things. They are simply talking points - abstractions if you will. All technical people know this, and conduct themselves with this in mind.

Unfortunately, and to the detriment of the average audiophile, there are vendors that have no morals when it comes to dealing with simple people issues - namely, how to provide equipment at reasonable cost. From my perspective, John is entrenched in the world of keeping costs reasonable, and you are entrenched in the position of making them go out of control. I have no sympathy for that position.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Simulations are useful, but it is not the real world.

So either put up (and come listen) or shut up. I am tired of this silly sniping.

Anybody who can read these posts will see that you were the one who brought up SPICE simulation here - I made no mention of it. Bu t if you are using it yourself, you're making a mistake by not using models that reflect device measurements. Gee, who came up with those again? You're welcome.

Mr Andy sir,

some of my backyard usually talk to Mr Hansen on their annual visit to the CES, an occasional one respects him enough to post on Charlie's blog.
If Mr Hansen's continued presence at this forum is aimed at peddling his merchandise to us simple people, he's making a buck the hard way.

Courtesy of Jocko, the Italian stallion in Garland,TX =>

Attachments

• free_money2.jpg
    free_money2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 841
Anyone describing Charles as marketer, and not a technical person, is clearly deluded. His amps, and his discussions here, indicate a technical excellence and innovation which is credible and indeed, laudable.

I have not met Charles, but applaud his designs, which I think are technically outstanding, AND he has shared a good deal of his knowledge here for all concerned.

An individual who 'likes technical people, and can't stand marketers' is unbalanced in his approach. Everything we consume in life is sold, and it is a fact of life that almost nothing is sold without marketing. Live with it.....

I fail to see how perceived or real value of Charles' products is the business of anyone but him and his customers. Doubtless many will never buy, only take cheap shots from the sidelines, so their comment is utterly without value.

You once crossed swords with me for 'shilling' as you described it. I challenged you to meet me at RMAF in room 1117; you either failed to identify yourself or failed to show.

Your intellectual superiority betrays quite the reverse morally, and I can only conclude you enjoy the protection of your keyboard.

Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.