Quad 405 DCD mod3 - PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just finished to rework the PCB for a Quad 405 based on the schematics of Keith Snook DCD Mod-3. I used a PCB M12565 iss. 7 (so without Tr4) as starting point and reworked it to meet the modified schematics and sizes of my components.
I reintroduced N1 and N2 in schematics but without C18, C19 wich could be soldered on N1, N2 (if are used).
The size of the fuse holder might not be good, it has to be modified. There are three connections that have to be made with a small wire (the ones wich have grey pads).

If you have some ideas how should I improve the design feel free to write it as I plan to make it in 1-2 weeks.

Regards,
Zsolt

p.s. Some transistors in the schematics differ as I couldn't find them among the libraries, so don't write for this issue!!!

Attachments

• quad 405.zip
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,513
Hi,
it looks pretty good to me, much neater than my efforts to date! You might want to make a bit more space for R30 & R31 though. They dissipate just over 1 watt each when the amp is idling and get quite hot. I use 3 or 5 watt resistors for these and try to mount them well above the PCB. By the way, what are you using for the inductors, or are you winding your own?

Andy

Reworked version

Hi,

I reworked the PCB and kept only the components from DCD-Mod3.
My goal was to keep the tracks in the operational feedback and in the bridge as short as possible and to widen the gnd, earth and high current tracks. I've added Tr3 + R18 in this final version but in case of instability I will replace them with a wire link as suggested by Keith Snook.
In this version there is enough space left for R30/R31 (placing them vertically as lead pitch is 10mm), fuse holders, bigger capacitors, etc...

Hopefully I will have the board manufactured soon and I will post some pics with it.

Zsolt

Attachments

• quad 405.zip
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,484
Hi Roger,

Unfortunately I haven't finished my Quad yet cause I didn't have enough free time. Hopefully tomorrow I will do a first burn-in test with one of the boards.

I ordered the boards from a Romanian pcb manufacturing company and they cost me ~32euros for 2 boards (plus the shipping another 13 :mad: ...). Probably you can find a company closer to you.

You can see an image of the boards in the attachment.

Regards,
Zsolt

Attachments

• dsc_0566_1.jpg
    dsc_0566_1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 4,405
@ben62670

You can use a wide variety of transistor types for this amplifier.
Google for Bernd Ludwig's Quad 405 updates. On the end of the article you can find some replacement options.

I highly recommend to read Keith Snook's page QUAD 405 Modification , and doing the input and C8 modifications he suggests.

I used the following transistors:
Tr1 - 2SA970
Tr2 - 2SC2240
Tr3 - MPSA92
Tr4 - ZTX753
Tr7,8 - MJE15031
Tr9,10 - MJ15003

vzs said:
@ben62670

You can use a wide variety of transistor types for this amplifier.
Google for Bernd Ludwig's Quad 405 updates. On the end of the article you can find some replacement options.

I highly recommend to read Keith Snook's page QUAD 405 Modification , and doing the input and C8 modifications he suggests.

I used the following transistors:
Tr1 - 2SA970
Tr2 - 2SC2240
Tr3 - MPSA92
Tr4 - ZTX753
Tr7,8 - MJE15031
Tr9,10 - MJ15003

Marked :)
I have 500 toshiba SD424's and 554 So I will be using them for out puts. Thanks so much for the transistor list. I could not find nearly any of those old transistors:bigeyes:

Thanks Again so much.
Ben

Edit
I am ordering some OP97FPZ OpAmps for anothe project would these work well with this project?
Thanks
Ben

Hope you guys don't mind me coming in on this thread, but I think this may help

The original Quad transistor is in Italics.

TR1: BC214C - BC559C BC415C BC560C

TR2: ZTX304 - BCX32 BC682 MPSA06 2N5551 - BC546B

TR3/TR4: ZTX504 - BC556B – ZTX753

TR5/TR6: BC214C - BC154 - BC560

TR7/TR8: 40872- 2SA740 2N6134 TIP42C BDX78 - BD242C

TR9/TR10: 17556- 2SD424 2SD676 3N3773 - MJ15003

The transistors I used are the last ones in the list

Lee.

I would have used what Keith Snook recommended but I couldn't find 2SA1085E, neither 2SC2547E.

I think the difference between BC560 and BC560C is their different DC current gain and small-signal current gain (hFE and hfe).
The A types have the smallest and the C types have the highest current gains. There is no need for high gains here, but probably you would be fine with the BC560C.

As RogerGustavsson said, I would use what Keith Snook has recommended or the parts that I or Thomo has recommended are fine also.

Tell us whether you have managed to make it.

If you managed to make it sing, than you should try Keith Snook's mods, at least for one side Quad 405 modification (then you will do the other side too ;) )

I am ordering some OP97FPZ OpAmps for anothe project would these work well with this project?

I have never used OP97FPZ, so I don't know.
The OpAmp is very important to be of high quality. I used OPA627 but LME49710 would be also a very good choice.

You should also take care to use 1% tolerance components in the bridge, C8 - silvered mica, R38, R20, R21 metal film resistors (you should use metal film resistors elsewhere too), and try to find a good inductor for L2 (5-10% if possible).
For C1 and C4 I used polypropylene capacitors. You can find pretty good ones from Epcos or Wima.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.